Wheeldon to do new Shakespeare ballet for RB

this appeared in an interview with Chris Wheeldon in today's Washington Post:

"The Royal Ballet has commissioned another made-from-scratch ballet by Wheeldon and Talbot. (He can’t reveal the title, but it’s Shakespeare.)"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/wunderkind-ballet-choreographer-christopher-wheeldon-tells-a-story-with-alice/2013/01/10/49b081d0-59c1-11e2-b8b2-0d18a64c8dfa_story_1.html

Thanks for spotting that, Katherine.

So, does anyone want to speculate? He's done Midsummer Night's Dream already (not that the RB needs another, or another Romeo & Juliet). What else would work as a ballet? Will it be full-length or shorter? Comedy? Tragedy? History? I don't know enough about Joby Talbot to know what his range is.

Tempest sounds great .... It already has a great masque inbuilt .... Not Othello please ... If that's wanted I suggest the Jose Limon Moor's Pavane ... and, of course, a version was done not all that long ago for ABT. I think a ballet surrounding the Wars of the Roses would be ripe. Think too it would be just up Talbot's street.

I remember that Wheeldon worked with the Bolshoi on 'Hamlet', or ‘Elsinore’. Then on the train to St. Petersburg he admitted that the

Shakespeare’s plot was too complicated. And, finally, he created for them the ballet titled ‘Misericordes’.

May be he has found now his way around the plot and will come back to ‘Hamlet’?

Just realised that I can't see the RB starting on a new full-length ballet any time soon, given that they have the new Don Q next season, so I'd guess a shorter one might be in order. Also, I can't see The Winter's Tale being the sort of crowd-puller that would justify a 3-acter, although perhaps I'm wrong.