World Cup 2022

bridiem

Feel so sick that we lost in that way. We played very well overall and the referee was useless and to lose by Harry Kane missing a penalty is the worst blow. He doesn't deserve that and we didn't deserve it. I know sport isn't fair but sometimes it's downright cruel. 

• Like 4

I felt for Kane. There was an added layer of challenge taking a penalty against his Spurs team mate Lloris and I wondered if someone else should have taken that second penalty. Easy to be wise after the event of course- and I agree the refereeing was shocking. 

• Like 3

England were definitely the better team tonight you felt they could turn it round at any minute and were very committed which is a great change. 
But wasn’t our night and had a horrible feeling it might not be when Kane wasn’t awarded the penalty he deserved in the first half! 
Still he got another two shots at it and unfortunately missed the second one by a long way which was unlike him. 
Perhaps it’s a bit unfair to rely on him all the time to get penalties in but he probably wanted it anyway and don’t think the French goalie as his club team mate made any difference. Everyone will miss one eventually! 
Still I was sure we were in with a really good chance this time so it is disappointing. 
Now for Argentina and Morocco in the final with Morocco to win!! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LinMM said:

England were definitely the better team tonight you felt they could turn it round at any minute and were very committed which is a great change. 
But wasn’t our night and had a horrible feeling it might not be when Kane wasn’t awarded the penalty he deserved in the first half! 
Still he got another two shots at it and unfortunately missed the second one by a long way which was unlike him. 
Perhaps it’s a bit unfair to rely on him all the time to get penalties in but he probably wanted it anyway and don’t think the French goalie as his club team mate made any difference. Everyone will miss one eventually! 
Still I was sure we were in with a really good chance this time so it is disappointing. 
Now for Argentina and Morocco in the final with Morocco to win!! 

I'd like Morocco or Croatia to win. But no doubt it will be Argentina or France. 

I don't think any blame at all should be put on Kane's shoulders, nor should he feel obliged to take responsibility.  Had it not been for his first penalty success, England would not have been on the scoreboard at all.  People seem to forget that there were 9 other men on the field who could and should have scored.  France scored both of their goals from open play, so they have gone through.  It's so cruel because England was the better team for much of the match (even the French journalists have said so) but they just couldn't finish.  However, they gave the world champions a damn good run for their money, and there is no disgrace in being beaten (just, and with the help of an appalling referee and, it would seem, VAR team) by the World Cup holders.  

I so hope that Morocco beat France, but the latter have all the big match experience so I am not at all sure they can do it.  But what a story it would be if they could!

• Like 5

Don’t want to start a new football thread but wow what a wonderful final to the World Cup!! 
I just can’t stay in the room when it’s a penalty shoot out and so so glad Argentina won this as they deserved it what a team it’s not just about Messi they do play together well and so pleased that McAllister who plays for Brighton ( Argentine heritage) set up that wonderful goal in the first half. 
Time for a celebratory drink..  phew that was close!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

@LinMM I liked your post but was cheering for Les Bleus. As an Arsenal supporter of 50+ years it was extremely weird to be willing a Sp*rs keeper to save penalties 🤣 However I can admire Messi's achievement and as for Mbappé - who I believe wins the Golden Boot - who has played in two finals, winning one, before he turns 24. Just remarkable. Minor trivia: Mbappé's hat trick was the second ever in a World Cup final. Both have occurred in my lifetime (the other was scored by Geoff Hurst for England in their winning 1966 final).

• Like 1

Yes I remember the 1966 final too!!
I was 18 then and just finished A levels one of which was German and was just about to go off to Germany to work in a childrens holiday camp and was in love with all things German at the time lol so wasn’t quite as passionate about England winning as I should have been!  
I have to say it’s the only time in my life I saw my dad jumping up and down on the sofa!!! 

Incredible match, and Argentina's second goal was SO BEAUTIFUL!!! The stuff of dreams. I don't know why it took France nearly 80 minutes to register that they were in a world cup final, but when they did - what a match. Absolutely thrilling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Minor trivia: Mbappé's hat trick was the second ever in a World Cup final. Both have occurred in my lifetime (the other was scored by Geoff Hurst for England in their winning 1966 final).

Immediately after Mbappé's third goal, Geoff Hurst tweeted his congratulations to him. Classy.

• Like 4