First pointe shoe fitting - London recommendations

AmandaBallet

My dd has been told that she can start pointe work in the new year and as we’re visiting London over the holidays I thought it would be a good opportunity to get her fitted (we don’t have anywhere local to us for this). If we booked an appointment at e.g Bloch presumably she would only get to try out Bloch pointe shoes? (I have zero knowledge of how this all works!). So is there a recommended shop in central London where she could try a variety of brands? We don’t really have the time to do lots of different appointments at different stores unfortunately…Thanks!

Bloch, Dancia, Freed and Capezio are all very near each other in Covent Garden. Don’t feel shy to ask them to put on hold ‘possible’ pointe shoes for you after the fitting, as you go around the other shops to try on shoes there. They are used to this and totally understand.  You’ll want to make sure you get the best fit for your DD so it’s worth it going around these shops for fitting, as many as you can. I know that some get swayed by a certain brand that certain vocational school(s) use and would therefore only go to that particular shop without trying on shoes at others. It’s often very obvious when these shoes don’t fit well.

Dancia is the only one where you can try different brands BUT in our experience, when the fitter found out it was my DD’s first pointe shoe fitting, she only let her try on a couple: Bloch and Grishko. She said they were the only ones suitable as first pointe shoes. This could have been just that particular fitter but I felt like she limited our choice and subsequent fittings there always felt a bit rushed. I’ve always had wonderful experience with Bloch and Capezio, both take the time to fit regardless of how many pairs or styles it would take. All Freed styles do not suit my DD’s feet so I don’t have much experience of them in relation to pointe shoes (but they have great customer service overall). This is just our personal experience and I’m sure others might have different. 

• Thanks 2

I usually recommend Bloch to my first timers as they are relatively problem free and easy to break in. I find Grishko very hard,  but they do last well!   You don't want too much spare material on the heel when the foot is on pointe, but when standing on flat the shoes should allow for wiggle room for the toes!   Once you've sewn on the ribbons and cut them to the right length, don't forget to singe the ends or paint them with invible nail lacquer so they don't fray.   Good luck!

• Thanks 2

Another thing to keep in mind is that she will likely change styles/brands frequently in the first year or two of wearing pointe shoes. Her first pair just have to be the right shoes for her that day. As she gains experience and strength, what she needs in a shoe will change. Often the first pair isn’t the pair that makes her arch look amazing or fit the heel perfectly. The first pair is more about support and ease of getting over the box. It can be a frustrating and expensive journey as their feet and needs change, but eventually they settle into a preferred brand and size. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have not had good experience with Dancia and I've also heard other fellow adult dancers having problems with shoes that were fitted by them. When I was there, the fitter was already giving me shoes to try base on what I told her I was wearing. She did not examine my feet, did not even get close or touch the shoes when I had them on and didn't ask many questions. It didn't feel very thorough. So I came out with a pair of Merlets which felt very comfortable when I was there, but later realised it was too narrow for me and ended up with bunion pain for months, which started gradually until it got unbearable and I finally realised it was because of these shoes 😢 

Having said that, they clearly have many returning customers so perhaps it's a hit and miss depending on who you get. But unless you know who to ask for perhaps it's better to go elsewhere, especially when it's a first time fitting and your daughter probably doesn't know what it should feel like and what may be issues to raise to the fitter. Like others have said if you can shop around that would be ideal.

Personally I go to Bloch as their shoes have worked well for me, the fitters i've had there had been very thorough and very helpful. I've also tried Freeds and they were equally good. Just be aware that some shops (Bloch for certain, not sure about the others) may require advance booking!

Edited by spiraboo
  • Thanks 1

DD has very wide feet and started off with Bloch European in XXX. A few years later, and a try with an assortment of shoes... she is (and has been for past year) back with the Bloch European. 

A fair few of her friends also wear them as they come in a variety of widths and 2 strengths of shank.  

We use planet dance near Leeds, which is obviously not in London, but has a wide variety of shoes to try. 

Edited by alison
To remove excess space
  • Thanks 1

We went to London for DD's first pointe shoe fitting and found Dancia International to be fantastic. The fitter took the time to look at my daughter's feet and how flexible they are and chose a Grishko shoe that complemented her feet beautifully. We tried 3 pairs in total.

She could have done with half a size smaller and so the fitter did suggest we visited Bloch and Capezio as well to see if they had anything in my daughter's size, but we were pushed for time to catch our train home, so went with the Grishko shoes. That was a good choice as once the elastics were added to the backs, they stayed up and my daughter did not outgrow them prior to taking her Inter Foundation exam a few months later. 

Another vote for Bloch here. I have no idea about ballet shoes but my DDs teacher came with us for first pointe shoes and seemed really pleased with the service and fitting at Bloch. My DD loves her shoes, no discomfort once used to pointe work, so that’s been great too.

Not about pointe shoes but we’ve had mixed experience in Dancia. Other DD came away with great tap shoes (and other items) but awful ballet shoes - her teacher thought we’d bought online (poorly) and couldn’t believe the shoes were ‘fitted’ instore (too long, too narrow - I think it was the only ones they had and wanted to ensure a sale.) 😬 I’ve since been shown what to look for and not just to base on trust/accept any shoes we are sold. 

• Like 1