Shakespeare North Playhouse - Prescot (on Merseyside)

Jan McNulty

The Shakespeare North Playhouse in Prescot opened in July 2022 and is already an ACE NPO.  I made my first visit there yesterday and it most certainly won't be my last!

From the outside the building looks conventional but the auditorium Elizabethan in design.  On the theatre website there is a fascinating article about how the theatre came into being.

There is a known link between Shakespeare and the Earls of Derby (who resided at Knowsley Hall) who were patrons of him and apparently owned some of his early plays.  A purpose built theatre existed in Prescot in the 1590s - the only indoor theatre outside London.

This magnificent building is very welcoming indeed and there is a rather super cafe/bar.

I saw yesterday's matinee of A Christmas Carol, based on the Dickens book but with pantomime elements.  All the roles were taken by 4 actors and a packed auditorium was howling with laughter in parts.  It was a brilliant start to the festive season!

If you are in the Merseyside area the theatre is very easy to find as it's only a couple of miles off J2 of the M57 and it is well worth a visit.  The building is open every day except Monday.

https://shakespearenorthplayhouse.co.uk

IMG_3225.thumb.jpeg.5e3722fc42b784f348acf8cfefbc2158.jpegIMG_3220.thumb.jpeg.3dc0d9d5d82ae93929eee42c8fe48838.jpegIMG_3219.thumb.jpeg.6d2d7bd04714e616836af800cb2db319.jpegIMG_3216.thumb.jpeg.acff7d4c6af42a861a552a03aae109ea.jpeg

• Like 3