Sophie Kinsella Novels

meadowblythe

one of my students, in year 8 (so age 13ish) has put in a request for a Sophie Kinsella novel.

I'm not exactly a fan of ms Kinsella but just wanted to sanity check if any of you had DDs who read these books - are they suitable for this age group? A quick flick through shows nothing too unsavoury but just wanted to check.

For 13 upwards though I am thoroughly enjoying Matched by Ally Condie, for boys of all ages I'm also enjoying the Young Bond series by Charlie Higson.

thank you!

Meadowblythe

Can't really remember what order they are in so not sure which you were referring to there, Fiz, but in my opinion, the Shopaholic series was very good. I read these at around 12-13, and don't recall anything particularly shocking (there was quite a lot of vulgar language, but I think as long as the student knows that such language is inappropriate at home, that is fine. Personally, I found the swearing made it funnier- perhaps the thought of adults using such taboo words was quite amusing!!!!!) The storylines are generally very good; i'd recommend Confessions of a Shopaholic (Which I first read aged 11, and found very funny, although it did seem like quite an 'adult' book), Shopaholic & Sister, Shopaholic & Baby, and Shopaholic Abroad (Think that's right? The one where she went to Milan & New York). I would, however, not recommend the Madeline Wickham novels (Sophie Kinsella is a pen name; she published another series under her real name) as they seem a lot less lighthearted, with some slightly more adult content about relationships etc, if I remember rightly. Of course, this is just my opinion, and sorry for the long post!!! ;)

Sorry, but I hated Shopaholic and Sister and the baby one too. The first two were good but whether she was writing to fulfill contractual obligations or some thing else, I thought the two I mentioned were very poor. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, just as I am as well.

• Like 1