Upper School

dizzyalice

All of the elite vocational schools, US / UK/ Europe, seem to have Finals in the beginning of the year.  This way, offers are made & accepted by May. The starting point is pre-liminary auditions and/or video auditions from Nov-Feb.  Entry from a summer school into the upcoming September intake is possible but exceptional.

At YAGP Australia semi-finals this year, in Aug., it was difficult for YAGP to award entry into schools when the first term was about to start.  The Artistic Directors tended to be on holiday.  They had already filled up their classes.  They did not want to offer a place for the following year as the dancer could have dramatically changed over that time.  The full year scholarships offered were minimal and tended to be for boys.  The AD's did offer a number of short term visits.  I think this is more useful than a summer school as the best timing can be agreed.  The regular teaching staff can watch the dancer over a period of time in a normal class & vice versa. 

Invitation to the YAGP Finals in April 2023 Tampa, were also awarded.  There an AD can offer a dancer entry/scholarship in April for the Sept. intake.

Going to the Finals is great but also a very expensive way for an Australian to get in front of a UK or European AD! 

The short-term visit scholarship was our preferred prize.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

@TiaramumDo you mean y10/11 in particular?

Yes, RBS now give out offers for years 7-9 (the foundation programme), the students then have to reaudition for years 10/11 where very few of the UK students will be kept on.

Our year group was the first to go through the process and it was horrendous in every aspect. I am pleased to see the communication with current year groups is much more clear and gives emphasis on the fact that it is a 3 year programme and you are now encouraged to apply elsewhere (this wasn't the case for our year group). RBS have taken on the criticism and improved things for those years following us. 

• Like 5

@DD Driver Having seen the difficulties of YAGP Australia being in August isn’t it easier to do the preliminary in person audition in Queensland? Was the August semi for 2023 or 2022? I think scholarships often go to boys or juniors at the semis - much harder to get if you’re a senior girl. 

@Tiaramum It’s really tough being the guinea pigs! Do they help them get their auditions organised? How early on did they let you know, was there time to get ready? Audition season starts so early in the academic year! 

9 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

@DD Driver Having seen the difficulties of YAGP Australia being in August isn’t it easier to do the preliminary in person audition in Queensland? Was the August semi for 2023 or 2022? I think scholarships often go to boys or juniors at the semis - much harder to get if you’re a senior girl. 

Kerfuffle, sorry I don't know what you mean about auditions in person in Queensland(?) YAGP Australia was in Brisbane and Sydney, in person.

The August YAGP semi-finals are headed towards the 2023 Tampa Finals in April.  They also give out scholarships for short term visits, summer schools & full year. The issue is that it is too close to the start of the year programs, September 2022.  Senior boys are so needed that they can get a full year scholarship (starting 1 month later).  A short term scholarship for a visit however is perfectly fine.  I'm just saying that the easier way to get into a full time program is to start auditioning in the November, leading up to the March Finals and then September entry...

27 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

If RBS are only offering a 3 year course at Yr 7, I would imagine able candidates with multiple offers will go elsewhere!

I think it’s very rare for an RBS offer to be turned down, despite knowing full well the offer is only for the first 3 years (or in the past, until you pass assessments). It’s rare, but not unheard of. In the last few years I’ve heard/seen of a handful - I can think of only one instance this year where an offer holder opted to go elsewhere. It rarely happens and so in this very small ballet world, it always comes as a bit of a shock to everyone who hears of it and people tend to remember them more (from what I’ve personally observed). 

• Like 4

Kerfuffle, I see what you mean.  Yes For RBS, Australian dancers can attend the Qld RBS audition in late December. This is a cheaper & more direct route to RBS than going to YAGP Finals in Tampa!

Neverdancedjustamum , I think things are changing.  The goal is to be the best you. Sometimes the top vocational school is not going to get you there.  Maybe the training is not right for you or leaving home too early is destabilising ...  Sometimes it can be better to go local /elsewhere & maybe audition much later, for the school that feeds into the company you wish to join. You need to look at the odds and make educated decisions.

• Like 2

Neverdancedjustamum , I think things are changing.  The goal is to be the best you. Sometimes the top vocational school is not going to get you there.  Maybe the training is not right for you or leaving home too early is destabilising ...  Sometimes it can be better to go local /elsewhere & maybe audition much later, for the school that feeds into the company you wish to join. You need to look at the odds and make educated decisions.

Totally agree with the above. It’s best to go in with eyes open - who are the teachers, what is their experience and where did they train? A fancy name doesn’t necessarily guarantee amazing teaching.  If you can find good alternatives to going away then consider delaying it if that’s right for your child and your family. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

I think it’s very rare for an RBS offer to be turned down, despite knowing full well the offer is only for the first 3 years (or in the past, until you pass assessments). 

This is all very new, in the past a few dancers might have been assessed out over the years at White Lodge, but the majority made it through to the end of Yr 11. Over the years fewer have gone on to RB Upper School and most continued training at other British establishments for 6th form or degree courses. With many of these establishments now holding auditions abroad,  it is even harder to get a place.

Now it is a new ball game with the majority of WL leaving at the end of Yr 9.  There are not likely to be many places a ailable for Yr 10 at other Vocational schools, and in many areas good academic schools will have no places either.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Millicent said:

I understand that there were two girls who turned down places at WL this year. I know one has gone to a different vocational school, not sure about the other one. 

I think sometimes an overseas student is offered a place but do not want to leave their families at such a young age especially if they live abroad. The other cases I’ve heard of just chose to train with their current  dance school if their school offers quality training and hours.  I think the influx of international students happens more in the higher years when they’re a bit older and perhaps more ready to live away from their families.  I bet the ratio of local students:international students at year 7 compared to Year 11 (and also upper school) is vastly different. With local students I know in the past places have been turned down as parents didn’t want to risk the stress the child might face of constantly having the possibility of being assessed out hovering over them. I guess this has been eased with the new structure. The first major stress will just be after 3 years. 

• Like 2

On 22/11/2022 at 06:35, dizzyalice said:

Hi

I’ve only ever commented on one thread on here so I guess you could say I’m still a newbie. My DD is Year 9 and is looking at possibly auditioning for Upper Schools when the time comes. She was a JA and got to Elmhurst auditions finals but in 2020 so because she had decided she didn’t want to live away from home, we didn’t go to the final audition, just as covid was about to start. My question is, I’m not that much of a ballet mum and other than the 4 main schools, which other options are there at 16 years old? We are looking at classical ballet though she also does contemporary, modern, jazz. I’d love to hear of experiences of upper school particularly from those who joined in year 12 from mainstream schools. Have they found it difficult being up against those who may have gone through lower school training? 

Hi there, 

My daughter went to mainstream school & applied to vocational schools to start in year 12, she too had a no from Tring ...even before we officially applied! But hey ho !! She now attends The Northern Ballet School in Manchester & is in her 2nd year & loves being there. As others have said there are a mix of ages in each year. The students live in different uni accomodations, which are all very close to the  Dance House & they have flat mates from NBS. First year all students follow a mixed path & then at the end of this year it's decided which is the path then to follow, either classical or jazz focus.

I'm sure you & DD will find the right path for you to take. It's very difficult st 16 but our Dd& Ds do surprise us & do very well !! 

Mj

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, BalletBelle said:

Slightly off topic but, if anyone has applied to Elmhurst upper school, how long did it take to get a response from your initial application/video/photos?

Last year they extended the deadline to 19 December but we did receive an email with the outcome on the 20 December.  The original deadline was the end of November.  Not sure if this helps at all. 

Edited by tired dance mummy

On 24/11/2022 at 09:05, Kerfuffle said:

@Tiaramum It’s really tough being the guinea pigs! Do they help them get their auditions organised? How early on did they let you know, was there time to get ready? Audition season starts so early in the academic year! 

It really was horrendous. Different members of the school told us different things. The AD and the head teacher all told us through documentated communication there was no need to apply elsewhere, then in the oct half term it emerged that wasn't true and they had expected all students to apply elsewhere. There was very little support and we had to do the chasing constantly to ensure things were organised and on track. Elmhurst auditioned the year group via zoom but didn't offer any places (we heard rumours that this would be the case anyway). We were also assured that there would be no surprises - everyone who did not get a place in year 10 had had glowing dance reports and were not told of any issues. I will never forget that first parents day where the AD stood there and promised us all faithfully "You will have all read the bad stories out there but I promise you here and now that these stories are just that - stories. If you do not get a place in the next year you will have been made aware of the reasons why before any auditions/assessments"   We fell for that promise. 

However having said all of that and going through a year of hell I would not take away that experience from my daughter for anyone/anything. She was part of an amazing year group and has made life long friends, as have I. RBS is a dream that will be short lived for most UK students. Go into it with your eyes wide open and enjoy the experience. 

• Like 5

How horrible for your year group, and what panic you must have felt trying to find places late in the auditioning year! What’s really impressive is the way you and your daughter are so positive about the time she’s had and have some wonderful bonuses like her friendships. Others would be bitter! My daughter is 15 so although she’s applying to the upper school it’s for a much shorter time potentially (and she still has to get a place which is ridiculously hard). It must have been strange to have a class zoom with Elmhurst and then no one get a place. I hope all your daughter’s friends are well settled now. 

• Like 3

Interesting... I saw an Australian ballet school congratulate a student for getting through to the RBS Semi-Finals for Upper School entry in 2023.

What surprised me was that the ballet school stated that there had been 1400 applicants!

This number is probably the total of all videos + upcoming in-person auditions registered both intl. and in the UK.

A lot!

Note: PdL received 429 video applicants this year.  76 candidates selected.

The student would have done a video application as part of the International Audition process.

The other option for intl. applicants is to do a Preliminary Audition through in-person auditions at various locations around the world.  These are finished before Xmas

After that, is the Semi-Finals where they send in a video submission. 

Maybe those who have already sent a video just have this re-looked at in the Semi-Final round.

On 22/11/2022 at 22:28, Kerfuffle said:

I guess it’s worth competing in if you have the funds/time/suitable teacher! You have to be in it to win it 😵💫. A lot of the best prizes are at the finals - before that there are scholarships to summer schools given out  but I guess anyone can audition for those - a majority of them go to the juniors or boys. Masterclasses expose you to some very good teachers from the top schools so worth doing to be seen. 

My understanding is that after the finals, there is a special class/workshop for the dancers who didn't make the finals. There they get to dance again and speak to the various ADs who have come from around the world. A lot of places seem to come out of that final workshop, some full fee paying and some with bursaries. I know at least one dancer who elected to do PDL over an audition "tour" through Europe, as they could get financial aid to attend the competition, as opposed to self funding flights and accomodation in 4 or 5 different countries to audition for places in person. This student ended up with a number of offers following PDL so it worked out for them, though of course nothing is ever certain in ballet! This was a junior student looking for a place at an upper school, not a place in a company, just to be clear :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Viv said:

My understanding is that after the finals, there is a special class/workshop for the dancers who didn't make the finals. There they get to dance again and speak to the various ADs who have come from around the world. A lot of places seem to come out of that final workshop, some full fee paying and some with bursaries. I know at least one dancer who elected to do PDL over an audition "tour" through Europe, as they could get financial aid to attend the competition, as opposed to self funding flights and accomodation in 4 or 5 different countries to audition for places in person. This student ended up with a number of offers following PDL so it worked out for them, though of course nothing is ever certain in ballet! This was a junior student looking for a place at an upper school, not a place in a company, just to be clear :) 

When YAGP finals were held at the Lincoln Centre in New York the scholarship classes were held at Alvin Alley Studios. ADs attended and watched and either approached a student after the class or they were handed a slip with the offer on. It was confirmed by email later. Dd spoke to a US school AD and was offered an intensive which was given to her at the presentation afternoon at the Lincoln Centre. A short term place offer was made a few days later. She also was invited to audition for ABT Studio Company at the ABT Studios. That was a fabulous experience 😊 Dd had a full time offer from the summer intensive too but declined to stay in the U.K. Her A levels were important to her and turned out to be a god send as Covid struck and stopped travel to company contracts. 
Just to mention that Dd had a BMI of 16 at that time and sadly she didn’t look out of place at YAGP 😢 But that’s another thread. 

• Like 6

On the PdL website it says:  Organised at the end of the competition week, the Networking Forum gives the candidates who are not selected for the Finals an opportunity to be seen by schools and companies Directors from all around the world.

Following an audition class, interviews are organised with Directors of the Prix de Lausanne partner schools and companies wishing to recruit one or more candidates. Interviews with Finalists who do not receive a prize are also arranged after the award ceremony.

In 2022, 30 partner schools and companies attended the Networking Forum.

72 candidates participated (5 of whom could not come and compete in Montreux) and 219 potential offers were made so far.

Edited by DD Driver
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DD Driver said:

Interesting... I saw an Australian ballet school congratulate a student for getting through to the RBS Semi-Finals for Upper School entry in 2023.

What surprised me was that the ballet school stated that there had been 1400 applicants!

This number is probably the total of all videos + upcoming in-person auditions registered both intl. and in the UK.

A lot!

Note: PdL received 429 video applicants this year.  76 candidates selected.

The student would have done a video application as part of the International Audition process.

The other option for intl. applicants is to do a Preliminary Audition through in-person auditions at various locations around the world.  These are finished before Xmas

After that, is the Semi-Finals where they send in a video submission. 

Maybe those who have already sent a video just have this re-looked at in the Semi-Final round.

The 1,400 RBS applicants will be for Lower School WL and Upper School - all years.  This is around the usual number of applications.

On 05/12/2022 at 06:22, cotes du rhone ! said:

When YAGP finals were held at the Lincoln Centre in New York the scholarship classes were held at Alvin Alley Studios. ADs attended and watched and either approached a student after the class or they were handed a slip with the offer on. It was confirmed by email later. Dd spoke to a US school AD and was offered an intensive which was given to her at the presentation afternoon at the Lincoln Centre. A short term place offer was made a few days later. She also was invited to audition for ABT Studio Company at the ABT Studios. That was a fabulous experience 😊 Dd had a full time offer from the summer intensive too but declined to stay in the U.K. Her A levels were important to her and turned out to be a god send as Covid struck and stopped travel to company contracts. 
Just to mention that Dd had a BMI of 16 at that time and sadly she didn’t look out of place at YAGP 😢 But that’s another thread. 

A healthy BMI  is so hard to maintain during these crucial teen years - partly because they are very active and also because of the tremendous stress they are under with both exams and auditions 😢. Such a difficult balance to reach. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know when the RBS Upper School Finals are likely to be held?  How this was run last year in terms of numbers v. places, & what it entailed?

Their website states that Finals are in Feb & March(?)

Semi-Finals via video were required with results to be sent out near the end of January.