Pavlova, Nureyev and Fonteyn items up for Auction

The Passion for Fashion and Ballet Auction at Kerry Taylor in early December has a number of very interesting lots relating to Pavlova, Nureyev and Fonteyn and includes 3 Sleeping Beauty tutus, 2 of which were Dame Margot's. 

It's worth a look at the online catalogue, items start on page 7. I'd love to have Margot's pink Princess Aurora tutu! image.png.6b6b27e0dc45ebe075d64d60f8a1a766.png

https://www.kerrytaylorauctions.com/auction/details/-passion-for-fashion/?au=107&pp=48&so=3&pn=7&g=1

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Intersting to see that Fonteyn's other tutu for the vision scene is blue. I would have thought it would have been white for normal stage performances so was this one blue because it was used for a filmed performance? I have a vague idea I've read that for black & white filming sometimes items had to be coloured something other than white in order to look white on screen?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I have a vague idea I've read that for black & white filming sometimes items had to be coloured something other than white in order to look white on screen?

I believe that a yellow colour was used to come over as white on TV circa 1960. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/11/2022 at 22:44, Dawnstar said:

Intersting to see that Fonteyn's other tutu for the vision scene is blue. I would have thought it would have been white for normal stage performances so was this one blue because it was used for a filmed performance? I have a vague idea I've read that for black & white filming sometimes items had to be coloured something other than white in order to look white on screen?

It was used in 1959 BBC TV broadcast in black and white. A one-off. I had this tutu for 50 years and sold it at auction in March of this year. Surprised to see it being sold so soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1