ENO funding

Melody

Just seen this article about ENO's Arts Council grant, and the money seems to be dependent on ENO moving out of London and (good arts-administration lingo) reimagining itself. 

"We don’t want to bring down the curtain on ENO, but opera has to change"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/14/eno-opera-funding-arts-council-audiences

Is what they're suggesting actually realistic? When a funding organisation is excusing its decisions by saying, more or less, "we aren't trying to kill you off, but...". that tends to make me suspicious. (Also wondering if they have something similar in mind for ENB at some point in the future as they look at ways of saving money.)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very unrealistic, at least in the way imagined by ACE.

There is a good argument to be had against ENO continuing in its present form and with the level of subsidy currently received, but it's been so shoddily handled by ACE that they'll have lost many (including me) who would otherwise have been sympathetic.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've just come across this article:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/opera-car-parks-arts-council/

That very observation in the Guardian article was part of why I posted this thread - I mean, we're sort of into "you couldn't make it up" territory here. I mean, fine, perform opera in car parks. Just don't expect ENO to be the company doing it.

Plus, if they're serious about making opera accessible to people everywhere and performed in all sorts of new and exciting ways, we're going to need significant investment in music education at all levels in school, and from what I'm gathering from reading newspapers and blogs and whatnot, that's the exact opposite of what's actually happening.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, alison said:

Thank you very much for pointing to this article, undoubtedly more informative (and informed) than anything I have read from Britain. Here are links to the other two parts of the extended piece:

https://parterre.com/2022/11/30/oh-thoughtless-crew-ye-know-not-what-ye-do/

https://parterre.com/2022/12/02/leveling-up-or-leveling-down/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Not as good as might have been hoped.

Whilst true I’d be a bit more optimistic and suggest this is welcome news. I do hope the Arts Council and ENO will be able to agree longer term arrangements.

Just now, Lizbie1 said:

Unusually punchy from ROH:

And the ROH has severed ties with BP. A small amount of funding reportedly. Admire the sentiment but would think now is not the time

25 minutes ago, oncnp said:

And the ROH has severed ties with BP. A small amount of funding reportedly. Admire the sentiment but would think now is not the time

I thought the same. Given the ROH's statement after the recent Arts Council cuts about needing to raise more money it doesn't feel like the best timing to part company with a long-term sponsor, at least not unless they've already got an equally or more generous sponsor to replace them.

• Like 2

That said, were BP sponsoring anything apart from the big screen live relays, which we haven't had since Covid anyway?  I hope the ROH can find a more acceptable sponsor, although in this day and age that may be difficult, when everyone's motives seem to be being called into question.

6 hours ago, alison said:

That said, were BP sponsoring anything apart from the big screen live relays, which we haven't had since Covid anyway?  I hope the ROH can find a more acceptable sponsor, although in this day and age that may be difficult, when everyone's motives seem to be being called into question.

The sponsorship had been for 33 years.

18 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Reading all the news reports the cessation of BP sponsorship of ROH and other arts organisations is more to do with concerns about arts institutions receiving funding from fossil fuel providers.

Can someone please tell me what is so wrong with fossil fuel providers?  Genuine question.  Since we aren't allowed to have fracking, or nuclear energy, or coal, what else are we supposed to do?  Rely on wind and solar panels for everything?  I am not sure what the problem is with fossil fuels?  Without them, how would we generate energy?  There would be no heat, no electricity, no transport of any kind.   No schools, no hospitals, no office buildings, no shops.  What am I not understanding about this?  Thanks for any clarification anyone can give me.

• Like 1

I am afraid it is another bout of virtue signalling. We cannot do without fossil fuels. The hype over electric cars is another example. We are now being asked to restrict normal domestic consumption of electricity between 5 pm and 6 pm. Imagine if everyone arrives home from work and plugs in their car to recharge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sim said:

Can someone please tell me what is so wrong with fossil fuel providers?  Genuine question. 

From National Geographic:
> When fossil fuels are burned, they release carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which in turn trap heat in our atmosphere, making them the primary contributors to global warming and climate change.

Major energy companies have treated climate change as a PR or brand reputation issue rather than a global crisis. Hence the greenwashing donations to cultural organisations being a focal point for environmental activists. 

Obviously it is a complex issue. I'm not an energy expert or scientist. (Disclosure: I have had both BP and Shell as marketing clients in former jobs.) Don't know much of the UK's needs could be supplied by clean energy atm, but it could be huge if the big players like BP, Shell, etc, were to really commit and transition to renewable energy sources. In Norway, for example, 98 percent of the electricity production come from renewable energy sources. 

• Like 2

There is little doubt that there is climate change, but how much is due to human activity is debatable. The earth is still warming from the last ice age 22,000 years ago. There was the little ice age around the North Atlantic 1300 - 1850. A large volcanic eruption throws gas and ash far into the atmosphere, which has a cooling effect. Mount Tambora erupted in 1815 and the following year 1816 is known as the Year without a Summer. Temperatures dropped and crops failed globally causing famine. There are currently many major active  volcanoes.

Norway is not a good comparison. It is a very mountainous hence the availability of hydro power, and I agree we could do more here. However, most of the population lives around the coast. Travel is by boat. There are few roads into the interior and so car use is totally different. Here in UK it is small towns and rural communities who are reliant on cars as there is no public transport.

I am not an expert, just a concerned person who does research rather than accepting doom and gloom headlines.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Add words
  • Like 3

An industrialised society can only exist through cheap energy.

It would be a shame for British people to go cold & hungry chasing Net Zero when it can make no significant difference to the world. 

Great speech here by Konstantin Kisin at the Oxford Union debate