BRB triple bill announced for June 2023 and Nutcracker for November/December 2023

BRB have just announced their performances for June next year at the Birmingham Hippodrome. They are a triple bill of Apollo/Interlinked and 'Still Life' at the Penguin Cafe. Interlinked was premiered in June as part of the 'On Your Marks' triple bill. The performances are Thursday 8th to Saturday 10th June. Also announced are performances of The Nutcracker for 2023 running from Friday 17th November to Saturday 9th December. Public booking for both bills opens next Wednesday, 16th November at 11am. I'm a bit gutted that I shall have to miss the triple bill as I already have a holiday booked.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

with so much repertoire to choose from, i'd have preferred something other than Apollo as it has been recently staged by RB.  however, i wonder if there will be guest appearances? Matthew Ball was exceptional in Apollo and would be worth travelling to watch again..

is it usual for tickets to go onsale quite so far in advance? i know money in the BRB coffers is needed but it is becoming a bit silly IMHO.

Edited by PeterS

16 minutes ago, PeterS said:

is it usual for tickets to go onsale quite so far in advance? i know money in the BRB coffers is needed but it is becoming a bit silly IMHO.

I presume it's so the Nutcracker audience can book while their enthusiasm has been boosted. It makes sense to me.

• Like 2

I suspect BRB are quite capable of producing their own Apollos.  After all, as it's only a mixed bill, and therefore probably only appearing for a few days at the Hippodrome, and maybe Sadler's Wells, there doesn't seem to be much point in putting it on unless their own principals can be exposed to it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PeterS said:

with so much repertoire to choose from, i'd have preferred something other than Apollo as it has been recently staged by RB.  however, i wonder if there will be guest appearances? Matthew Ball was exceptional in Apollo and would be worth travelling to watch again..

I sincerely hope there won't be guests as there are only 4 performances.

In past performances BRB has given us absolutely wonderful Apollos including but not restricted to Robert Parker and Chi Cao.  I am sure the current roster of BRB principals and leading soloists will provide us with more wonderful Apollos.

Why not come and see BRB dancers rather than guests???

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I sincerely hope there won't be guests as there are only 4 performances.

In past performances BRB has given us absolutely wonderful Apollos including but not restricted to Robert Parker and Chi Cao.  I am sure the current roster of BRB principals and leading soloists will provide us with more wonderful Apollos.

Why not come and see BRB dancers rather than guests???

Apologies, my previous comment was tongue in cheek. I’m sure that this won’t be the last time that my sense of humour gets me into trouble.
I do travel regularly to see BRB, NB, ENB and POB dancers. 

Edited by PeterS

And finally the press release, which also includes the Nutcracker details.  Public booking has opened today.

QlJCIGxvZ28ucG5n

PRESS RELEASE

16 November 2022

• Birmingham Royal Ballet announces the return of ‘Still Life’ at the Penguin Café in a summer triple bill for Birmingham Hippodrome 8-11 June 2023

• Programme features Balanchine’s classic Apollo, a revival of Juliano Nuness Birmingham 2022 Festival commission Interlinked, closing the show with Sir David Bintley’s hugely popular ‘Still Life’ at the Penguin Café

• Tickets go on sale now for The Nutcracker at the Hippodrome in 2023

Birmingham Royal Ballet today announces the return of ‘Still Life’ at the Penguin Café, choreographed by Sir David Bintley, in a summer triple bIll at Birmingham Hippodrome from 8 - 11 June 2023, rounding off the Company’s 2022-23 season. Featuring George Balanchine’s Apollo, and BRB’s acclaimed new ballet Interlinked, choreographed by Juliano Nunes, that was commissioned for the Commonwealth Games’ Birmingham 2022 Festival, all accompanied by live music performed by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia.

Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet Carlos Acosta said:  ‘This programme really has something for everyone and demonstrates a continuation of our desire at BRB to present and perform work that highlights the company’s rich repertoire whilst presenting new works by the best choreographers of today. Apollo is a piece that is very close to my heart, having danced it many times. It has not been performed by BRB dancers in 17 years and will get this triple bill off to a beautifully classical start. Juliano Nunes’ ballet Interlinked was commissioned and premiered just this year but there is a real appetite to see it again. My predecessor Sir David Bintley has created so many wonderful ballets for the company that are loved by audiences, ‘Still Life’ is more relevant than ever in its message about endangered species and is a call to protect the environment. It provides a wonderful way to bring children and young people into the theatre for a really varied experience.’

A colourful host of endangered animals seek shelter from the storm in Sir David Bintley’s ‘Still Life’ at the Penguin Café. Featuring a morris-dancing flea, a ballroom-dancing ram, a hoe-downing rat, a majestic zebra and many more, this is a witty and enjoyable, yet bittersweet and poignant look at humankind’s effect on the world. Danced to Simon Jeffes’s score, originally composed for the Penguin Café Orchestra, it was last performed by the Company in 2017, and was created in 1988 when Bintley was resident choreographer at the Royal Ballet.

Balanchine’s celebrated early masterpiece Apollo highlights the genius of its then 24-year old creator, and launched his lifelong partnership with the composer Igor Stravinsky. This pristine ballet was regarded by Balanchine as his artistic coming of age. Its pared-back elegance gives the perfect platform for the Company’s dancers, and the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, to shine. 

Young Brazilian choreographer Juliano Nunes’s Interlinked was premiered in summer 2022 as part of the Birmingham 2022 Festival. Featuring a specially composed score by Australian composer Luke Howard, and lighting design from Netherlands-based Northern Irish designer Tom Visser, this international team created an abstract piece that explores themes of unity, the influences that we have on each other’s lives, and how the energy that we exude bounces from one person to the next, in a never ending circle.  The piece for 16 dancers will also explore themes around gender identity and the perception of self, falling into four distinct movements. 

Sir Peter Wright’s The Nutcracker (2023)

Booking is now open for the 2023 performances of Sir Peter Wright’s The Nutcracker. This classic production returns to Birmingham Hippodrome for 2023 performances. It's the perfect festive treat - a Christmas tradition!

Listings information:

‘Still Life’ at the Penguin Café triple bill, featuring Apollo and Interlinked

8 – 11 June 2023, Birmingham HIppodrome
www.brb.org.uk
Thursday 8th June 7.30pm ; Friday 9th* & Saturday 10th June 2.30pm & 7.30pm; Sunday 11th 2.30pm

*Additional school’s matinee performance of ‘Still LIfe’ at the Penguin Cafe tbc

Apollo

Choreography George Balanchine

Music Igor Stravinsky

Lighting Peter Tiegen

Interlinked
Choreography: Juliano Nunes
Music: Luke Howard
Lighting: Tom Visser

‘Still Life’ at the Penguin Café

Choreography Sir David Bintley

Music Simon Jeffes

Designs Hayden Griffin

Lighting John B Read

The Nutcracker
17 November - 9 December, Birmingham Hippodrome
Full performance schedule brb.org.uk/shows/nutcracker-2023

• Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to BRB triple bill announced for June 2023 and Nutcracker for November/December 2023

I hope BRB can bring the triple bill to Sadler’s Wells -or any other London theatre - in July or autumn....not because I can’t be bothered to travel to Birmingham for it but because my first half of June is booked out and I couldn’t even see it if it had been in London. 

BRB has dancers who would be great Apollos: Singleton, Lawrence, Chou, Morales, Dingman, Maslen, Monaghan - and so many ballerinas who would be brilliant Muses. BRB has always been strong in the number of talented danseur they have- if anything their dancers should be the ones guesting elsewhere in the role of Apollo. It’s a good time for BRB to put on Balanchine’s masterpiece. I was sad to have missed Chi Cao and Robert Parker as Apollo.

Well, I did think Still Life at the Penguin Cafe should have been included in the RB Diamond Celebration programme (the Great Auks or Texan Kangaroo Rat would have made everybody smile!) but better late than never, BRB is going to perform the whole ballet. Haven’t seen Interlinked yet but fingers crossed that this triple bill will be heading our way. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3