RIP Patricia Ruanne

Gramilano has announced the death in Rome at age 77 of this wonderful dancer, whom I had the pleasure of seeing many times here in London when she danced with Festival Ballet, and she was always gorgeous, no matter what she was dancing.  She was a large part of what made my initial London-going ballet experience so wonderful.

RIP Patricia.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Loved her dancing - I started out ballet watching with London Festival Ballet so I saw many of her performances. So many from that era now gone but it was a glorious company that included Elisabetta Terabust, Eva Evdokimova, Paul Clarke, Maina Gielgud. Very happy memories. Condolences to her family and all who worked or knew her

• Like 9

Sob! Not Patricia Ruanne too! I can’t think of ENB’s production of Nureyev’s Romeo and Juliet without thinking of Pat Ruanne. Likewise Nureyev’s Sleeping Beauty. I have photos of her in London Festival Ballet productions in a book I had as  a child and studied her beautiful line, placement and expression in various roles- such elegance and expressiveness. Rest in peace, Patricia Ruanne. My condolences to her loved ones. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Sharon said:

How sad!

Such a wonderful ballerina  - so many roles I was lucky enough to see.  She was the first Tatiana I ever saw....

RIP 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

She was a wonderful Tatiana and was nominated for it. Before joining LFB she was a valuable member of the Royal Ballet touring group shining in the many diverse ballets that company performed. She was guest teacher several times at the Yorkshire Ballet seminars, demanding high levels of discipline and concentration. But one of the most important contributions to ballet was assisting Rudolf Nureyev in mounting and rehearsing ballets and, as a ballet mistress at the Paris Opera Ballet, helping him mould the wonderful dance artists he formed at that company. The recent comments on former directors of the POB concentrated on the length of time served but in terms of regenerating the company and producing dancers of the highest class I think he was the best- in no small part due to Pat Ruanne's commitment and contribution.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

But one of the most important contributions to ballet was assisting Rudolf Nureyev in mounting and rehearsing ballets and, as a ballet mistress at the Paris Opera Ballet, helping him mould the wonderful dance artists he formed at that company. The recent comments on former directors of the POB concentrated on the length of time served but in terms of regenerating the company and producing dancers of the highest class I think he was the best- in no small part due to Pat Ruanne's commitment and contribution.

The former etoiles from 'Generation Nureyev' (and immediately thereafter) have all posted about her on Instagram today - Aurelie Dupont, Isabelle Guerin, Marie-Claude Pietragalla and Wilfried Romoli.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think of her very much as a RB Touring Company dancer,part of that great John Field group of protegees in the late 60s/early 70s;she was a fine dance actress.As has already been said,she was also great support for Nureyev in his Paris Opera direction.

Vividly recall seeing her giving an opening day class at Yorks Ballet Seminars,.......not an easy ride!!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to point out that the Guardian newspaper has added Jane Pritchard's lovely tribute to Patricia Ruanne to their obit pages (free to view to all).

Also of interest to ballet fans might be Peter Farley's obit as he was designer Yolanda Sonnabend's assistant & worked on many of her ballet projects including the RB's 1987 Swan Lake.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Diandri said:

Just wanted to point out that the Guardian newspaper has added Jane Pritchard's lovely tribute to Patricia Ruanne to their obit pages (free to view to all).

Also of interest to ballet fans might be Peter Farley's obit as he was designer Yolanda Sonnabend's assistant & worked on many of her ballet projects including the RB's 1987 Swan Lake.

Pop over to links for the link to the Guardian obituary:

• Like 1