Prix de Lausanne 2023

Pas de Quatre

1 hour ago, Dance*is*life said:

Don't forget that Nureyev danced for many years with RBS.  Whilst he influenced many changes there to the training (even we girls had to do the long loping steps à la Nureyev into grand jeté en tournant instead of a coupé chassé ) his technique was equally influenced by the British style.

So do you think that through Nureyev  Paris was influenced by the British style? That is a very interesting thought. Did you like his input ? 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kerfuffle said:

So do you think that through Nureyev  Paris was influenced by the British style? That is a very interesting thought. Did you like his input ? 

If you look at both Baryshnikov and Nureyev their technique definitely "neatened" and changed somewhat because of their exposure to the British style - I can't really say if they brought that to the companies they moved on to but it is a possibility.   Interestingly the RAD style was created from a mixture of styles through Adeline Genee from Denmark, Tamara Karsavina from Russia, Lucia Cormani, Italy and Espinosa and Bedells of England.   I think each contributed to the RAD's hybrid style, which too has changed considerablyl over the years. The RAD is not the only training method in the UK of course, but one of many.  I was trained in Russian style, with a bit of RAD thrown in and at RBS we learned Cecchetti too.  Ninette de Valois' training methods were yet another track.   Nowadays even though all companies seem to demand the same level of technique, very very different from when I was training in the 50s and 60s, there are still marked differences in styles between the various companies.  

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Viv said:

I have to wonder how Australia Ballet School are feeling about the fact that their chosen one didn't make it into the finals this year. He was obviously a lovely dancer who was a credit to himself and his training, and their candidate did very well last year, but I have to wonder whether they will send someone in 2024. 

For everyone wondering if RBS and like schools not sending a student is because they are worried that they won't hit the mark, take note...

It's not the first time their chosen one didn't get through to the finals - another student from a few years ago is now dancing in TAB and did not get to the finals, she was a lovely dancer too. 

I haven't watched all the male dancers yet but I loved Ana Luisa, the Brazilian girl, and Sangwon Park's Giselle was gorgeous. So glad they were both recognised. Looking forwards to watching the boys now!

• Like 1

Talking to a couple of Australian candidates back from the Prix de Lausanne, I can confirm that - for most - this is an amazing career & developmental opportunity.  Getting into finals is the icing on the cake but everyone got some cake 😁

Coaching from outstanding teachers. Exposure to dancers from all over the world and seeing the differences in their approach, strengths & weaknesses (maybe).  Practising and then performing on the big stage with lights/cameras and jury members, partner schools / companies and a large audience watching. Getting feedback on your week.  Networking forums ...

Some hiccups... room for improvement e.g. those giving feedback should be trained in how to effectively do so. Also, it would not be hard for PdL to ensure that all candidates get at least 1 networking interview.

Most returned home inspired to keep improving themselves.  With direction on how to do so & opportunities!

Edited by DD Driver
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just saw an announcement on Instagram about one of the prize winners at the Prix de Lausanne, from America, has accepted an offer of apprenticeship with the Royal Ballet. I guess she is this year’s RB PdL apprentice? Apart from this one announcement,  I don’t think I’ve seen the list of choices by the other prize winners yet.