Ashton's Cinderella - new Royal Ballet production

13 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I have written to Alex Beard,  expressing my concern over ticket increases

I applaud you for this action and smart suggestions. Will follow your lead. I think the ROH needs to hear from as many people as possible.

They like to send surveys out (I got one about the Diamond gala) but typically are only after the Net Promoter Score ('would you recommend...'). They never ask for open, detailed feedback. 

Yes, they have to balance their budget. So do their most loyal customers. I think they are trying hard atm to promote the Friends scheme, as it is an excellent way for the ROH to earn cash. However, the rewards for Friends are more nice to have (early booking) than a proper loyalty scheme with financial incentives as @jmhopton suggests. 

• Like 4

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, oncnp said:

A spot check of various non-gala C77 is coming up as £70

I've been using the 'Seatmap and pricing' part of the website.  Clicked on 1st April  both performances and it's coming up as £88 for stalls circle C77 so that's even worse! Done the same with 10th Apr and same result.  Its confusing having 2 very similar pinks but I've tried the filters on and off and it's definitely showing up C77 for the pale pink £88. Just hope this is wrong and the prices are £70. Shows how bad things are when you've got to be "grateful' for an increase from £58 for Mayerling now, to £70 for Cinderella in a few months!

Just now, jmhopton said:

I've been using the 'Seatmap and pricing' part of the website.  Clicked on 1st April  both performances and it's coming up as £88 for stalls circle C77 so that's even worse! Done the same with 10th Apr and same result.  Its confusing having 2 very similar pinks but I've tried the filters on and off and it's definitely showing up C77 for the pale pink £88. Just hope this is wrong and the prices are £70. Shows how bad things are when you've got to be "grateful' for an increase from £58 for Mayerling now, to £70 for Cinderella in a few months!

Make sure the date on the top of the page is  correct. It has been showing up as opening night no matter what date is chosen from the performance page 

• Like 1

Just now, oncnp said:

Make sure the date on the top of the page is  correct. It has been showing up as opening night no matter what date is chosen from the performance page 

Ah, that could be it then, what a relief. I'm using my phone on the train (just left Raymonda.  Will review it later) So not always easy to check. I was thinking a hike to £70 was bad enough let alone £88!

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

There’s something wrong with the seat maps. For those who have priority booking, they can see that C77 is priced at £70

Edited by Bluebird

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

There’s something wrong with the seat maps. For those who have priority booking, they can see that C77 is priced at £70

Thanks Bluebird.  The ROH website strikes again! I have recently emailed them also (I think I'm developing into grumpy old woman!) about the lack of easily available information. For example,  every performance you go to there is an announcement from Kevin O'Hare that cast lists are on the website but they're not easily accessible. I know links have probably been published here but I couldn't find them and had to email customer services who sent me a link which I've now saved as a favourite for future access. But if the ROH are saving money by not printing cast lists the least they could do is have an obvious link on their website; either going across the bar at the top or in an obvious drop down menu. 

Also the annual calendar they used to produce with a link to every production was so useful for quick and easy booking; why was it discontinued? I can't believe it was difficult or time consuming to produce and it saved so much time in booking performances. It's things like this that matter to regular attendees who want to book multiple performances (if they can afford them!)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

The ROH gets the 'Royal' tag, and the Royals get free tickets.

No money flows from the royal coffers into the Opera House...

I assume you mean officially.  For all we know, the various Royals who are ballet lovers may very well be private sponsors.  I know that Princess Margaret used to frequently attend the ROH unofficially, sitting in seats with a much better view than the Royal Box.  And she didn't get those for free.  

• Like 3

Usually a week or so before attending any performance you’ve booked the ROH send out two emails. The first is a reminder about “your up and coming visit” and the second contains the ticket itself.  It’s the first email which has quick access to all the cast lists….though of course the performance you are about to attend may not come up until the day of the performance.
I store everything I need from ROH in a specially named ROH mailbox so can quickly access at any time. I can then go into any “important reminder” email and the cast list link is there to ALL onstage performances to the current date. For example last nights Mayerling casting is the latest there with all the other Mayerling performances. 
I find this the quickest and easiest way to see cast lists for me though I agree it should be easy to access from the website itself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

For all we know, the various Royals who are ballet lovers may very well be private sponsors.  I know that Princess Margaret used to frequently attend the ROH unofficially, sitting in seats with a much better view than the Royal Box.  And she didn't get those for free.  

I naively assumed that the RB received some sort of official financial grant from them. It's good to know that they do contribute in other ways. I certainly hope they are anyway, during this difficult time for the ROH and the arts world in general.

On 24/11/2022 at 11:42, Emeralds said:

Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker will sell well because of their names and partly because the public vaguely know these three have good stories and memorable music.

Does the public really know Cinderella as a ballet that well though? I actually wasn't aware that it was part of the RB repertoire until they announced it for this season. Compared to the Tchaikovsky main three it seems rather less well known.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Does the public really know Cinderella as a ballet that well though? I actually wasn't aware that it was part of the RB repertoire until they announced it for this season. Compared to the Tchaikovsky main three it seems rather less well known.

I think the general public just sees the names Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty and think, “that’s a fairy tale, I recognise that, should be family friendly”, and buy tickets for a family of four (or three or five etc). Compared to people only going on their own for Giselle, Mayerling or Manon, unless they find a friend who also loves ballet, you can see why tickets sell out for shows deemed to be family friendly. It doesn’t matter whether it’s the Ashton, Ratmansky, Wheeldon, Stevenson or Bintley production, Cinderella will sell, especially during school holidays (RB has scheduled theirs over Easter school holidays-smart move). Just don’t present it during the first two weeks of June.

(I assume you’re referring to my comment about good stories and memorable music - it’s true that the general public probably knows Nutcracker for its music, Sleeping Beauty & Cinderella for their stories, even if fans know the music scores and stories are good for all three.) 

PS You’ve hit the nail on the head, art_enthusiast- for 11 and a half years it has not been part of the RB repertoire, despite many fans begging for it to be reinstated. 😉

Edited by Emeralds
For clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

I naively assumed that the RB received some sort of official financial grant from them. It's good to know that they do contribute in other ways. I certainly hope they are anyway, during this difficult time for the ROH and the arts world in general.

I don't pretend to be an expert on these matters.  However, the Monarchy has to tread a very careful line and maintain a strictly neutral stance on so many issues. I suspect an official public backing for something like ballet at the Opera House would produce howls of outrage from the press  along the lines of "All the starving/freezing/sick people in the UK and they are wasting money on elitist things such as ballet....."  I think we can all imagine the headlines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

(I assume you’re referring to my comment about good stories and memorable music - it’s true that the general public probably knows Nutcracker for its music, Sleeping Beauty & Cinderella for their stories, even if fans know the music scores and stories are good for all three.) 

Yes, indeed I was - just curious to know what the Cinderella musical equivalent is to Waltz of the Flowers or the Sleeping Beauty Garland Waltz, which I think most of the general public are familiar with in some capacity! 

I am looking forward to hearing the score live for the first time.

Just listened to this for the first time, very beautiful - 

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

It's good to know that they do contribute in other ways. I certainly hope they are anyway, during this difficult time for the ROH and the arts world in general.

I have no doubt they contribute in other ways … one would be in encouraging sponsorship from their network of wealthy contacts.  That in itself is worth many free seats.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I suspect an official public backing for something like ballet at the Opera House would produce howls of outrage from the press  along the lines of "All the starving/freezing/sick people in the UK and they are wasting money on elitist things such as ballet....."  I think we can all imagine the headlines. 

Indeed - thanks for explaining.

It's a shame they would take that one-dimensional viewpoint. More funding for the ROH would not only help them but also allow them to employ more workers within the theatre space as well as artists, offer training opportunities, improve employment prospects overall etc. I used to be part of Arts Council England's Youth Advisory Board about 5 years ago when I was still a teen. Can't remember the specific details but I was able to look at funding applications for dance/theatre craft training schemes, youth programmes etc and give input as to their value. To think of all that being cut as well is really depressing.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 1