Ashton's Cinderella - new Royal Ballet production

21 minutes ago, PeterS said:

In the Friends Magazine

I've just been through the Friends' Magazine and have been unable to find any mention of the Gala evening casting.  Which page is it on?

Edited to say that I see you've now added the page number but I still can't find the casting.  Maybe some copies of the Magazine were printed later than others - i.e.once the casting had been decided?

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I've just been through the Friends' Magazine and have been unable to find any mention of the Gala evening casting.  Which page is it on?

Edited to say that I see you've now added the page number but I still can't find the casting.  Maybe some copies of the Magazine were printed later than others - i.e.once the casting had been decided?

Just the Gala is mentioned, I didn’t see anything about casting. Perhaps that’s wishful thinking on the part of @capybara? Or perhaps the information came from another source? 

I received an expensive-looking flier inviting me to pay up to £1500 for a ticket covering a drinks reception, the show and a dinner afterwards with dancers, creatives and RB/ROH staff. Not my scene at all.

It does say also that tickets will be available in the normal way.

(Edited to add (with reference to PeterS’s remark) that my first night cast would have been Kaneko/Muntagirov but I do understand why they are fielding Nunez. I would never post ‘wishful thinking’ on here as fact!)

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

.... cast would have been Kaneko/Muntagirov but I do understand why they are fielding Nunez. I would never post ‘wishful thinking’ on here as fact!)

My 'wishful thinking' would be (as Cinderella): Hayward, O'Sullivan, Naghdi or Takada.

Edited by Fiona
  • Like 4

My wish list casting for Cinderella are Hayward and Hay as Cinderella  and 

Prince, with Kaneko as Godmother. Also Morera and Campbell as Cinderella and Prince, Hamilton as Godmother. Have probably jinxed myself by mentioning the names out loud now, so won’t say any more! 

• Like 7

On 27/10/2022 at 17:30, Sophoife said:

I only wish I could see it again. AusBallet has a very nice Ratmansky version to replace Stanton Welch's, but the Ashton hasn't been seen in many, many years apart from some extracts in a programme celebrating Dame Peggy van Praagh in 2010.

My first Cinderella (my first ballet) featured Antoinette Sibley and Anthony Dowell, with Ashton and Helpmann as the sisters, Georgina Parkinson as the fairy godmother and bonus of Derek Rencher and Wayne Sleep as the sisters' suitors. December 1969.

I saw the same cast, in January 1970. A wonderful memory. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AnneL said:

I saw the same cast, in January 1970. A wonderful memory. 

And that Sibley/Dowell cast is still available on DVD,  I think? With Penney/Lorrayne/Jenner/Bergsma as the Fairies.

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Interesting that they haven't put up prices for the opening ("gala") night yet.

Assuming they're in the neighborhood of "first-born child"......

• 2 weeks later...

CINDERELLA: A GALA CELEBRATION 

After over a decade away from the Royal Opera House stage, Ashton’s timeless reworking of Charles Perrault’s famous rags-to-riches story returns in this eagerly anticipated new production. We hope you will be able to celebrate the return of this glorious ballet with us at Cinderella: A Gala Celebration on Monday 27 March 2023. Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov will lead The Royal Ballet in the Principal roles of Cinderella and the Prince in this premiere performance.

Premium tickets include top-price seats for the performance, invitations to pre-performance and interval receptions, and a post-performance dinner with the cast, creative team, and members of staff in the Paul Hamlyn Hall. More details are available in the booking form which you should receive shortly by post. Performance-only tickets in the Amphitheatre, Balcony and Stalls Circle will be available online. Priority booking for these performance-only tickets opens to all Friends on 22 November 2022 for this performance only. Tickets for all other performances of Cinderella will be available on your advertised booking dates. Please contact ROHevents@roh.org.uk for performance-only Orchestra Stalls tickets on 27 March. The dress code is an optional black tie.

This very special gala will make the perfect Christmas gift for any ballet lover so, make sure you don’t miss your invitation to the Ball. We look forward to seeing you there.

46 minutes ago, oncnp said:

CINDERELLA: A GALA CELEBRATION 

After over a decade away from the Royal Opera House stage, Ashton’s timeless reworking of Charles Perrault’s famous rags-to-riches story returns in this eagerly anticipated new production. We hope you will be able to celebrate the return of this glorious ballet with us at Cinderella: A Gala Celebration on Monday 27 March 2023. Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov will lead The Royal Ballet in the Principal roles of Cinderella and the Prince in this premiere performance.

Premium tickets include top-price seats for the performance, invitations to pre-performance and interval receptions, and a post-performance dinner with the cast, creative team, and members of staff in the Paul Hamlyn Hall. More details are available in the booking form which you should receive shortly by post. Performance-only tickets in the Amphitheatre, Balcony and Stalls Circle will be available online. Priority booking for these performance-only tickets opens to all Friends on 22 November 2022 for this performance only. Tickets for all other performances of Cinderella will be available on your advertised booking dates. Please contact ROHevents@roh.org.uk for performance-only Orchestra Stalls tickets on 27 March. The dress code is an optional black tie.

This very special gala will make the perfect Christmas gift for any ballet lover so, make sure you don’t miss your invitation to the Ball. We look forward to seeing you there.

I did have a bit of a chuckle at some of the prices in the invitation to book I had through the post - £6k was mentioned. Unfortunately I have put mine in the recycling bin now but I think that included a "suggested donation". I wasn't planning to go to the gala anyway....!

Presumably they can't actually enforce a 'suggested donation' because there must be different tax rules applied and it would therefore need to be voluntary. If you are therefore confident/shameless enough (your pick), you can presumably just pay the £500 per ticket - which is probably what all ROH tickets will cost next year with inflation and the standard ROH price rises thrown in. 

Edited by TSR101

3 hours ago, MJW said:

I did have a bit of a chuckle at some of the prices in the invitation to book I had through the post - £6k was mentioned. Unfortunately I have put mine in the recycling bin now but I think that included a "suggested donation". I wasn't planning to go to the gala anyway....!

Mine just came in the post today and for the best Grand Tier boxes (4 tickets) the seats were £2K + suggested donation of £4K 

The "cheapest" are the performance-only stalls (£170 + £105)

It does all seem like another world, and I would like it if it were never necessary. But to be fair these events are only occasional- ordinary tickets are available, and of course the ROH will need the money these days. Can't blame them for looking for revenue - look at what is happening to arts funding at the moment.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Really I'll be very glad if people do pay these prices. We can be very snooty about philanthropy in this country.

Yes.  I'd definitely spend that sort of money if I had it and be glad to support dance.  The more people who do so, the better for dance in the UK.  

• Like 3

Reminder for Friends wanting to attend opening night without the extras....

Performance-only tickets in the Amphitheatre, Balcony and Stalls Circle will be available online. Priority booking for these performance-only tickets opens to all Friends on 22 November 2022 for this performance only. 

On 18/11/2022 at 23:20, Lizbie1 said:

Really I'll be very glad if people do pay these prices. We can be very snooty about philanthropy in this country.

Will probably be snapped up by corporations and wealthy-folk-making-themselves-a-company-so-they-can-pay-less-tax using the opportunity as a tax lowering measure, and using it to impress clients/prospective clients/parents/girlfriends/would-be girlfriends.... 😂.

Sorry for the cynicism! - unfortunately my cynicism comes from having seen it before. 

I am going to “attend” Cinderella’s ball on one of the Humble Folk Nights. 😁

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Will probably be snapped up by corporations and wealthy-folk-making-themselves-a-company-so-they-can-pay-less-tax using the opportunity as a tax lowering measure, and using it to impress clients/prospective clients/parents/girlfriends/would-be girlfriends.... 😂.

As someone who has been to a number of these events before, I can say that a large proportion of those attending do not fit into those categories (though as the ROH benefits from the gift aid portion, I don't see why the tax payers shouldn't also get some benefit, allowing them to give even more to good causes).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oncnp said:

Reminder for Friends wanting to attend opening night without the extras....

Performance-only tickets in the Amphitheatre, Balcony and Stalls Circle will be available online. Priority booking for these performance-only tickets opens to all Friends on 22 November 2022 for this performance only. 

9am or 10.00am?

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Not so very 'umble if you sit in the nice seats these days! 😉

I dare not look at the prices in advance although I know they’ve gone up, zxDaveM! Will just deal with it when the time comes to book! Maybe I could sit at the restricted view on one side for one cast and the opposite side for the next cast, thereby combining to give a composite view of the whole production. 🤣 Or to help me feel better, I could glance at the top prices of the new/long opera productions and think, well, at least Cinderella is cheaper. 😉