Toby Spence, tenor

alison

I thought we'd discussed the sudden and distinctly unexpected disappearance of Toby Spence from his scheduled performances in the RB's Song of the Earth in the associated thread back at the beginning of last year, but apparently not. It appears from this that he's on the mend now:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/opera/9776040/Toby-Spence-interview-The-sounds-that-came-out-were-terrifying.html

Thank goodness for that; it's interesting to hear the hard work involved in coming back after something like this. On this forum we are much more used to hearing about dancers' injuries and illnesses that necessitate such hard work and dedication to get back to where they were; to read about a singer doing it is very enlightening. I wish Toby well and hope that after the completion of his treatment that he makes a full and speedy recovery. Thanks for posting, Alison.

• Like 2

Many thanks for this Alison.Not too familiar with opera singers,although I do like the art in small doses.Saw a fantastic modern interpretation by ENO of Don Giovanni in Manchester many years ago at Royal Northern College of Music.I know the training for opera takes as many years as does the training for ballet, so to have something like this happen to you at the peak of your career must have been the most horrendous experience. I wish Toby a full and complete recovery.