Jump to content

2023 London Children's Ballet


BallerinaMum13
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I was just looking through old threads on LCB ahead of the audition tomorrow. I kept seeing the issue of 'height' crop up. Do we think that with this year's production being Snow White, they will prefer the you get children to be shorter, rather than taller? My daughter is auditioning with the youngest group (she will be 9 just in time for the Jan 1st cut off date) but I know that she'll be somewhere in the top 15% height wise for her cohort. Luckily her only goal tomorrow is to get through to tomorrow's call-back so I don't think there will be a huge disappointment with the end result. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a good question. I would assume they need the company to look good together so perhaps it would depend on the auditioning cohort? Or if they already have the costumes from the previous Snow White performance x years ago, then there is probably a height requirement related to that?

 

Hope your dd got a callback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the encouragement. She emerged with her group after the first audition and my immediate reaction was "wow, you are so tall compared to them" :) I make her sound like a giant, she really is not that tall by normal standards :) Anyway, she got selected to stay for the second audition so now it's the wait until November 5th for the finals call back. She did love the experience, as so many other people have said. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/10/2022 at 09:49, BattementBatty said:

Good luck to your daughter.  Do you mind if I ask a logistical question about parking?  Was there lots of street parking around the area?  WE are going in a couple of weeks.

 

Thanks,

We parked fairly easily. The roads around are busy as there are no parking restrictions on a Sunday, but if you’re prepared for a 5-10 minute walk you will probably find a space. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/10/2022 at 12:16, Jennyballet said:

We parked fairly easily. The roads around are busy as there are no parking restrictions on a Sunday, but if you’re prepared for a 5-10 minute walk you will probably find a space. 

 

Thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/10/2022 at 20:19, BallerinaMum13 said:

Results came out very quickly, fyi. Auditioned on Sunday, results today (Thursday). 

 

Good morning @BallerinaMum13, Are these results the invitations to the final audition? Only curious as to how fast they are making their decisions for those who will be attending the final audition. We haven’t been to a LCB audition since October 2019 when DD got through to the second round audition on the day but was not invited to the final audition. DD decided at the last minute to audition this year, so we are going on the “overspill day”. 🩰

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Catlynn said:

 

Good morning @BallerinaMum13, Are these results the invitations to the final audition? Only curious as to how fast they are making their decisions for those who will be attending the final audition. We haven’t been to a LCB audition since October 2019 when DD got through to the second round audition on the day but was not invited to the final audition. DD decided at the last minute to audition this year, so we are going on the “overspill day”. 🩰

 

Yes. We attended on 2nd October and got the email on 6th October with invitation to final audition. The emails said details of timings etc would be emailed the week of 31st October, so I would expect to hear in approximately the same time frame.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/10/2022 at 12:16, Jennyballet said:

We parked fairly easily. The roads around are busy as there are no parking restrictions on a Sunday, but if you’re prepared for a 5-10 minute walk you will probably find a space. 

Take care. We got a parking ticket when we parked a while back near the big yellow storage... They're like hawks down there

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve just heard form Sunday, I’m amazed at how quickly they’ve got the results out! 
May I ask 2 questions

1.does everyone who makes finals get a place on a tour or in the company? 
2. Do you have to attend every rehearsal if successful? 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter got to finals in 2016 and didn’t get a place on the tour or company. She got to finals again in 2017 and got a main company place. Obviously things might have changed, but as far as I know, about half who go to finals don’t get either. 
 

Edited to say - they are very strict about attendance. Illness or vocational auditions are the only reasons allowed to miss a rehearsal. 

Edited by margarite
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe once you’re in finals you have about a one in three or a one in four chance depending on age group? 
 

and agree re parking. Don’t park at Halfords next door, we got a ticket last year where the cameras only recorded my first and last entry on the day - despite us only stopping for a couple of minutes each of the three times I came and went. It was the first audition which included the recall so according to them I had been parked for four hours or so. I appealed, they insisted, so I had to pay in the end or it would have been the small claims court next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BallerinaMum13 said:

I was also surprised by how quickly the results were shared. My daughter was also called back for the final audition but I think the competition will be intense. She is in the 9 year old group. Good luck to everyone! 

Congratulations! My daughter was also in the 9 year old group. I definitely think the competition will be tough in the final audition 😬

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2022 at 15:21, Ballet Power said:

We’ve just heard form Sunday, I’m amazed at how quickly they’ve got the results out! 
May I ask 2 questions

1.does everyone who makes finals get a place on a tour or in the company? 
2. Do you have to attend every rehearsal if successful? 
 

1. No.

2. Yes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2022 at 15:21, Ballet Power said:

We’ve just heard form Sunday, I’m amazed at how quickly they’ve got the results out! 
May I ask 2 questions

1.does everyone who makes finals get a place on a tour or in the company? 
2. Do you have to attend every rehearsal if successful? 
 

Sorry, some more detail.

 

1. No. Even if you get finals, you can still get a no. I.e. being in the finals do not guarantee you a place in either tour or main company

 

2. Absolutely. They make this clear from the outset and you can only miss if auditioning for vocational (off the top of head). Even for exams, they say you should discuss with your teachers as it's not a good enough reason to miss. When you sign up for audition, it says you are confirming that you understand the expectations etc...

 

Wishing all the best of luck. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

Sorry, some more detail.

 

1. No. Even if you get finals, you can still get a no. I.e. being in the finals do not guarantee you a place in either tour or main company

 

2. Absolutely. They make this clear from the outset and you can only miss if auditioning for vocational (off the top of head). Even for exams, they say you should discuss with your teachers as it's not a good enough reason to miss. When you sign up for audition, it says you are confirming that you understand the expectations etc...

 

Wishing all the best of luck. 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you. I meant is every child requested at every rehearsal or some weeks is it just certain parts? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Ballet Power said:

Thank you. I meant is every child requested at every rehearsal or some weeks is it just certain parts? 
 

In the rehearsal period from Jan to April my DD had one weekend off rehearsals, she did have several corp roles though and towards the end was understudy to a main role. Rehearsals varied in length from two- six hours depending on what scenes were being rehearsed. Hope that helps and good luck ☘️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...