Mayerling, Royal Ballet Autumn 2022

13 hours ago, Sim said:

"It took about ten months to get it right" remembers Wall. "Kenneth made us all go away and read books on the subject. The facts seemed to change from book to book, and I felt quite lost. It wasn't until I read a chapter on Rudolf's childhood that I suddenly clocked on to how this person might have developed: the fact that he was marched around in the snow at 6.00 in the morning at the age of 6, and shot at, and deprived of his mother's love and attention made me understand a lot about what happened to him.

This is enlightening. As we know, the absence of a balanced psychological foundation has lifelong implications. So, for example, poor parental attachment and an absence or withholding of love do have enormous implications for the child as an adult.

In the context of Mayerling, regardless of relationship status, any form of appreciation from an admirer is often like crack cocaine. Perhaps the only defence against it is an understanding of the dynamic at work, and for that you do have to be open.

So, as I understand it, Rudolph wasn't aware and, as likely an essentially good person, the frustration of his susceptibly drove him towards madness.

Interestingly, had he lived another 10 years or so he might have been helped by a psychoanalyst by the name of Dr Freud who was, in this period developing new ideas on these matter, in the same city and just a few streets away.

• Like 1

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Sim said:

they were discussing how Rudolf took his morphine. "Just think about it", chuckles Wall, "syringes weren't invented yet, so guess how Rudolf took his morphine?" "Er, the French way, I assume?" "Yes!" he bursts out laughing, "so we decided on poetic licence and brought in the syringe…I didn't want to shock the audience more than we already were doing!"

Research in the 1970s obviously not as easy as today, as the first hypodermic syringe was used in 1853, and the incident at Mayerling took place in 1889. Non-hypodermic syringes had, of course, been used since ancient Egyptian days.

@Sim thank you so much for posting that extract, I had probably read it before, but it's so interesting I'm happy to read it as many times as I see it!

Edited by Sophoife
Typo and added last para
  • Like 5

Am only able to make very brief comment, but thought the performance last night wonderful, notwithstanding gunshot etc!  I thought Hirano's performance was excellent, one of the best I've seen in the role - he started a little slowly but his characterisation after that was moving and I thought Hirano and Osipova in the last act were devastating.  Very impressed with the other dancers, and the ensemble pieces.  Was reminded again about how beautiful the music is. 

• Like 9

Again, re the cinema broadcast, I don't remember what was done on previous occasions, but I'm not sure whether it was really a good idea to cut away to the orchestra every time there was a change of scene.  After all, I thought the whole purpose of all those "front of cloth" scenes was so that a scene change could go on behind them without pausing the action: I think the discontinuity which the cuts introduced didn't help me to become fully immersed in what was happening.

• Like 5

There are some ballets where I can leave at the end, perhaps not feeling moved by the principal roles, but still feel like I've enjoyed every second. Giselle is one. Even if I'm not getting much from whoever is dancing Giselle and Albrecht (which to be honest is pretty rare), that Act 2 with Myrtha and the Wilis gets me every time. Mayerling, although rich with supporting roles and very much an ensemble piece, is not one of those ballets. If I haven't connected with Rudolf in the first Act and I'm not feeling anything towards him, be it hate/pity/anger/sadness, then the rest of the ballet feels pretty pointless to me. Unfortunately this is how I felt last night.

The choreography of Mayerling is so genius. With every look, expression and movement we know from the get go that this is a stifling and oppressive court. We need to feel this though from Rudolf quickly, so that the rest of the narrative is set up and makes sense. The steady decline needs to show so that when the final scene takes place, it doesn't feel out of the blue. I think what's also genius about the ballet is that we are picking up the story in the middle. Those first interactions between Rudolf and his parents, and everyone else at court, have been like that throughout his entire life. He is already affected and in deep psychological despair from the moment the ballet starts, in part due to his loveless upbringing. The pas de deux with his mother is so important because it sets up the rest of the ballet and thus his decline. In my opinion, I should be feeling a lot of emotions after that interaction and last night I felt pretty cold.

Again in the second Act, when Rudolf spies on his mother having an affair with Bay, it should be the final nail in the coffin. She's already outed her husband's mistress in front of everyone; we get the impression no-one in the room is without their own scandal, and Rudolf is watching it all unfold, realising what a façade and joke this whole court and dynasty is. During the recital on stage, I normally have my binoculars fixed on everyone, but mainly Rudolf. I remember Johan Kobborg and Ed Watson's expressions during this moment - utterly heart-breaking and so full of mixed emotion. It should tell us everything we need to know and send a chill down our spines as we predict that this story isn't going to end well. I didn't get much of this last night.

There is much to like in Ryo's technical dancing and he is a strong partner which is incredibly important in a ballet like this. However, without that connection and also without chemistry with his Mary (a feisty Osipova), last night didn't make me feel any emotion at all. The supporting cast were all brilliant but if I struggle to connect with Rudolf, and to find any emotional connection between him and the women, then the ballet falls flat for me.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I agree with TTP above.  For me, I just didn't feel it.  I have been watching Mayerling for decades and there are times I have left the ROH emotionally spent and completely wrung out.  It wasn't necessarily with the Rudolfs who were 'out there'; some understated but very moving performances got me just as much.  Thiago Soares is one, Jonny Cope, Johan Kobborg are others, and from the one performance I have seen, Matthew Ball will be another.  They each took me on a journey from start to finish, and made me understand their torment and thus their behaviour.  They interacted and connected in different ways with the different women in their life. They made me angry, or sad, or both (at the end of Soares' debut performance I was in floods of tears which surprised me no end).  I'm afraid I just didn't get this last night.  Some people did, so I am very glad to hear it.  

My personal opinion is that it was a very strange choice to do a worldwide broadcast on the first night of the season. I would have done it on the 30th anniversary of Sir Kenneth's death, 29th October, with Matthew Ball and Laura Morera in the leads.  We have almost nothing of Laura on film despite all her years at the RB.  She is one of the finest MacMillan interpreters around, and there is very little of that for posterity.  I have no idea if there are any technical reasons that this couldn't have been done, but I think it would have been a wonderful and really fitting tribute to both choreographer and company.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

My personal opinion is that it was a very strange choice to do a worldwide broadcast on the first night of the season. I would have done it on the 30th anniversary of Sir Kenneth's death, 29th October, with Mattew Ball and Laura Morera in the leads.  We have almost nothing of Laura on film despite all her years at the RB.  She is one of the finest MacMillan interpreters around, and there is very little of that for our posterity.  I have no idea if there are any technical reasons that this couldn't have been done, but I think it would have been wonderful and a really fitting tribute to both choreographer and company.

Although I loved the performance I definitely agree with this and thought exactly the same. But I presumed there was a particular reason why they had to do it last night as I didn’t think anyone would really choose to film on opening night especially the start of new season. Well I know I wouldn’t anyway😂

• Like 1

If memory serves me well, I don't think it's the first time they've done a first night of the season.  I have a feeling there was a Romeo & Juliet a few years back?  (Did they do the same for the Royal Opera?  I don't think I got any notification).  But yes, I did think it was a bit tough on the dancers - and everyone else involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

My personal opinion is that it was a very strange choice to do a worldwide broadcast on the first night of the season. I would have done it on the 30th anniversary of Sir Kenneth's death, 29th October, with Matthew Ball and Laura Morera in the leads.  We have almost nothing of Laura on film despite all her years at the RB.  She is one of the finest MacMillan interpreters around, and there is very little of that for posterity.  I have no idea if there are any technical reasons that this couldn't have been done, but I think it would have been a wonderful and really fitting tribute to both choreographer and company.

Agree wholeheartedly about Morera. 

• Like 10

I enjoyed Hirano’s Rudolf very much - although I suspect it wouldn’t have worked as well live as it did in the cinema with close ups. 

The stand out performance for me was Morera, with Nunez also making a strong impression. I would love to see Morera’s Mary Vetsera. She really was Larisch last night and it was not an acting performance - she was ‘being’ the character. 

I was left cold by Hayward, who seemed to have one expression in the Act 1 pas de deux and I didn’t feel that that was a deliberate choice to show that she was frozen in terror. However, I may be wrong. 

Osipova was certainly passionate but I didn’t ‘feel’ it particularly. Not sure why, I am trying to work it out. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

I enjoyed Hirano’s Rudolf very much - although I suspect it wouldn’t have worked as well live as it did in the cinema with close ups. 

The stand out performance for me was Morera, with Nunez also making a strong impression. I would love to see Morera’s Mary Vetsera. She really was Larisch last night and it was not an acting performance - she was ‘being’ the character. 

I was left cold by Hayward, who seemed to have one expression in the Act 1 pas de deux and I didn’t feel that that was a deliberate choice to show that she was frozen in terror. However, I may be wrong. 

Osipova was certainly passionate but I didn’t ‘feel’ it particularly. Not sure why, I am trying to work it out. 

Morera really was a standout, she seemed to carry most scenes she was in and your eye couldn't look away from her.

I do feel (not amongst fans, she is beloved) but from within the Royal itself, she is an unappreciated asset. She's never pushed forward or promoted but she always shines on the stage.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, capybara said:

And they also missed the opportunity to film her wonderful Natalia Petrovna in Month last season.

Don't get me on that again. I've bored people enough with my thoughts about that!

However, I thought Sim made a great point about filming the 30th anniversary programme with Ball/Morera. That would have been a fabulous tribute to him. Presumably Kevin will make an announcement on the night and possibly dedicate the performance to him but a recording, especially with that cast, would have been even more special.

I watched at the cinema (terrible service from Odeon, Preston). Music too loud though they allegedly turned it down. No lights at the intervals (I had to resort to switching them on myself), at one point a message on the screen that we had to find someone to remove, and no cherry garcia ice cream as the freezers weren't working! However my free vouchers worked which was a great saving.

Loved the ballet, especially the women. Made me even keener to see Morera and Hayward as Mary later on (Avanti/train strikes permitting). However, for me and several others in the cinema judging by overheard comments, the broadcast was spoiled by terrible (almost non existent) lighting. When will the RB learn that people actually like to see what's happening? I'll have to check through past recordings, especially the Mukhamedov one, to see if things have got worse over time. I know there is always going to be a difference between what the cameras see and what a theatre viewer will see but does it really need to be this dark? If you haven't seen the ballet previously (and probably many cinema goers, especially abroad, haven't) you'll be struggling to see what's going on. The prologue and final scene especially were terrible; a few dark shadows. Only Bratfisch was shown clearly. Close ups were clear but shots of the entire stage were murky, even during the wedding celebrations. I seem to remember the last 2015 recording of Fille with Osipova/McRae was spoilt for me by poor lighting and if you can't light Fille properly there's something very wrong.

I know a ballet like Mayerling has to have darker lighting to mirror the dark tragedy but there are limits.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, alison said:

I must admit, I was wondering last night whether, had Bonelli not left, his Mayerling with her as Mary would have been the one filmed.  

It's an artistic tragedy that that performance was not committed to film.  

• Like 9

I'm sure I've said this before, but years ago when the ROH was filming a production, there were extra lights onto the stage from the auditorium (and some seats were not bookable to facilitate this) and since it was acknowledged that this could impact on the live audience experience warnings were given at booking stage (though I can't actually remember if the tickets were any cheaper). Now, of course, the live experience is no different to any other evening. Not sure I understand that!

• Like 3

Just now, Sophoife said:

Incidentally, as the cinema relay doesn't reach Australia until October 29 (it's a very long cable), how was Catherine Carby?

I liked her.  A lovely clear voice with excellent diction.  I also liked the way she moved around the stage instead of standing still the whole time.  It made it very obvious who she was singing to.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but years ago when the ROH was filming a production, there were extra lights onto the stage from the auditorium (and some seats were not bookable to facilitate this) and since it was acknowledged that this could impact on the live audience experience warnings were given at booking stage (though I can't actually remember if the tickets were any cheaper). Now, of course, the live experience is no different to any other evening. Not sure I understand that!

I can remember that too.  The auditorium was as bright as day, and the performers could see everyone in the audience, apparently. 

• Like 3

The opening and closing scenes were pretty dark in the theatre too - far more so than I remember the last runs of Mayerling being.  From the mid-Amphi it was almost impossible to see what was happening at the grave, and the moments with the raising of the umbrellas were lost.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I liked her.  A lovely clear voice with excellent diction.  I also liked the way she moved around the stage instead of standing still the whole time.  It made it very obvious who she was singing to.  

Good to read these positive words about one of the artists I represent. The other mezzo, Samantha Price, is also JBM 🎼

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Legseleven said:

I saw Laura Morera on Tuesday (at the Friends rehearsal) as Mary and she was absolutely amazing - the stand-out performer for me. I just loved her and think she will be hard to beat (not that it's a competition). I liked Matthew Ball's Rudolph very much but wasn't blown away by it. He seemed a bit shaky at the start. so would like to see him again. The Act III pas de deux was breathtaking though. Loved the Hungarian officers, especially William Bracewell - their choreography was stunning and very dramatic! I have only seen Mayerling recently (on a streaming service) and once only, and that was an older performance. I am new to the ballet but really enjoyed the performance on Tuesday, Mayara Magri's Larisch was excellent too.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I saw Laura Morera on Tuesday (at the Friends rehearsal) as Mary and she was absolutely amazing - the stand-out performer for me. I just loved her and think she will be hard to beat (not that it's a competition). I liked Matthew Ball's Rudolph very much but wasn't blown away by it. He seemed a bit shaky at the start. so would like to see him again. The Act III pas de deux was breathtaking though. Loved the Hungarian officers, especially William Bracewell - their choreography was stunning and very dramatic! I have only seen Mayerling recently (on a streaming service) and once only, and that was an older performance. I am new to the ballet but really enjoyed the performance on Tuesday, Mayara Magri's Larisch was excellent too.

I was really impressed with the Hungarian officers last night too, I thought they were a stand out, really thrilling! 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, jm365 said:

The opening and closing scenes were pretty dark in the theatre too - far more so than I remember the last runs of Mayerling being. 

Maybe the ROH is economising on the lighting, with electricity prices having gone up so much from 1st October! 

2 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Good to read these positive words about one of the artists I represent. The other mezzo, Samantha Price, is also JBM 🎼

Nice to hear there are 2 Katherina Schratts & both of them are singers who I like. I hope I'll get to see both of them in the role.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 3

I know that we are not supposed to comment on the general rehearsal but I have to say that I found the chemistry between Laura Morera and Matthew Ball utterly compelling. Morera also gave what was quite possibly the most convincing portrayal of a teenage girl that I have ever seen.

Not surprisingly, I have yet to see Hayward's Stephanie in this run but her previous performances have been extraordinary. I would have loved to see her Stephanie paired with Ball and Morera as Rudolf and Mary.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I remember at the previous Mayerling cinema relay (McRae), a fellow audience member somewhat wistfully commented on what marvellous singers the Royal Ballet obviously have on tap from the Royal Opera, to which my response was "She's Australian!" 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I know that we are not supposed to comment on the general rehearsal but I have to say that I found the chemistry between Laura Morera and Matthew Ball utterly compelling. Morera also gave what was quite possibly the most convincing portrayal of a teenage girl that I have ever seen.

Are we not supposed to? I had no idea and thought it was ok to comment. Is there a reason why?

Agreed on Morera's portrayal. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

Are we not supposed to? I had no idea and thought it was ok to comment. Is there a reason why?

Because a rehearsal is a rehearsal, not a performance. Some dancers do not dance full out or may mark their parts.. There is usually an announcement to this effect.

• Like 4

Wonderful to read the stunning reviews in the press today. I’ll be watching the encore screening on Sunday in Berlin, so I’ll be able to enjoy it then. (Also at a later date in person for Hayward/Sambe.) One quick comment - when I saw Hirano’s third performance of Rudolf in the last run, I was stunned by his performance- particularly when he disintegrates in the final act. I also noted his eloquence in the solos in Act 1. I’d rather have his subtlety than the melodrama of the previous recording with a different cast,  but I guess it’s all a matter of taste and judgement - one person’s melodrama is depth of interpretation, another’s subtlety is not digging the depths. So there you go!

• Like 18

37 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Wonderful to read the stunning reviews in the press today. I’ll be watching the encore screening on Sunday in Berlin, so I’ll be able to enjoy it then. (Also at a later date in person for Hayward/Sambe.) One quick comment - when I saw Hirano’s third performance of Rudolf in the last run, I was stunned by his performance- particularly when he disintegrates in the final act. I also noted his eloquence in the solos in Act 1. I’d rather have his subtlety than the melodrama of the previous recording with a different cast,  but I guess it’s all a matter of taste and judgement - one person’s melodrama is depth of interpretation, another’s subtlety is not digging the depths. So there you go!

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, Vanartus. None of us knew the real Rudolf, so any interpretation is valid, and if a dancer’s interpretation doesn’t chime with one’s own, it doesn’t mean it’s a ‘poor’ performance of Rudolf.  Think this role - possibly more that any other - polarises people in that respect.

Personally, I think I tend towards more subtle and sympathetic interpretations. If you read about the real Rudolf, his problems and shortcomings didn’t define him all the time. He was an intelligent and cultured man, liberal minded and popular. He met and charmed Queen Victoria. He even seems to have developed a bond with Stephanie, to a degree, over their shared love of their daughter. Obviously as his mental health problems progressed, his good qualities would have been overtaken by his ‘madness’, depression and drug abuse and its that progression I like to see. I saw last night’s performance at the cinema and I think Hirano portrayed that pretty well - and the final pas de deux was incredibly intense.

Edited by Balletfanp
Addition
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

With regard to the cast being filmed on this occasion, do you think it is because Osipova is well known internationally.  I've noticed before that often the ones preserved for posterity are those that are more likely to be known outside the UK.  Just a thought, but it is a great pity that dancers who are sublime in a role might get overlooked for this reason?

• Like 6