On 31/08/2022 at 10:21, Peanut68 said:

Does anyone on here have any experience of ‘topping up’ a Trinity Diploma to BA Honours degree?

Several of my child's friends have done this.  IT is something we think they will do in the near future.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/08/2022 at 18:01, paulc said:

Just a heads up on NBS, which I'm sure they don't tell you. Second and third year students now have to go to Centre Point in Denton to make room for ICTheatre dancers.  My daughter is going into her third year and has been told they will be at Denton 3 days per week instead of the Dancehouse.

Yes, this was a bit naughty. I think my daughter is lucky and only there one day a week - but it has been rather sprung on them, along with the extra bus fare they'll have to pay themselves. 

On 28/08/2022 at 13:40, Mamaderuby said:

Hi. DS, who will be turning 18 in June 2023, will soon be making applications for full time ballet training starting September 2023. He has decided to apply to Northern and KS to do Trinity diploma course, and Central and another school that can't be discussed on this forum, to do degree course. He has decided not to apply to Rambert or LSC. His real love is classical ballet, he also does jazz and contemporary.  Is there any other school he should consider applying to? His age excludes him from Elmhurst and Tring. I think his age might exclude him from the ENBS also, but has been advised to make application anyway. 

Any advice from parents/dancers who have gone through the process of applying to, or attending any of these schools, advice would be very welcome. Anyone currently going through this, or preparing to, support would be gladly received and willingly given.

Hiya, 

My DS is very similar (real love classical ballet but enjoys everything else too!) has just been through the application process for all of these schools last year (and a couple of others; EFBS, LSC and ENBS) and was lucky enough to receive offers from most. He was only 16 when applying but happy to answer any questions about the journey... it's an intense and arduous process and the funding options are a minefield!

I would say that LSC do offer reasonably chunky scholarships and it's not means tested so I wouldn't rule it out as an option if the extra fees are an issue. Also worth considering is that DADA is great if you can get it as it's a grant and not a loan, and because the students haven't done a 'degree' as such, they are still eligible for degree loans and finding at a later stage if their plans change. 

DM me if you want to chat or have any questions, happy to help!

On 08/09/2022 at 13:35, mum5678 said:

Hiya, 

My DS is very similar (real love classical ballet but enjoys everything else too!) has just been through the application process for all of these schools last year (and a couple of others; EFBS, LSC and ENBS) and was lucky enough to receive offers from most. He was only 16 when applying but happy to answer any questions about the journey... it's an intense and arduous process and the funding options are a minefield!

I would say that LSC do offer reasonably chunky scholarships and it's not means tested so I wouldn't rule it out as an option if the extra fees are an issue. Also worth considering is that DADA is great if you can get it as it's a grant and not a loan, and because the students haven't done a 'degree' as such, they are still eligible for degree loans and finding at a later stage if their plans change. 

DM me if you want to chat or have any questions, happy to help!

Thankyou so much, and I will message you with a few specific questions about the  different audition procedures.  Which school did your DS choose to attend?

I've seen on social media that there are dates for open day and first audition at KS Dance. 15/16 November. Can anyone recommend a hotel close by (walkable or short bus trip), not too expensive (budget, basic but clean). Easy access to either Manchester or Liverpool airports. Thanks in advance.

Hi. We've sent the NBS application through the ictheatre portal. Just got back email requesting supporting documents. One of which is a "certificate of general health signed by a registered general practitioner ". I've made an appointment for DS to see GP next week, what should be included on this certificate? 

On 09/09/2022 at 14:28, Mamaderuby said:

I've seen on social media that there are dates for open day and first audition at KS Dance. 15/16 November. Can anyone recommend a hotel close by (walkable or short bus trip), not too expensive (budget, basic but clean). Easy access to either Manchester or Liverpool airports. Thanks in advance.

Holiday Inn is very close.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2022 at 17:57, Mamaderuby said:

Hi. We've sent the NBS application through the ictheatre portal. Just got back email requesting supporting documents. One of which is a "certificate of general health signed by a registered general practitioner ". I've made an appointment for DS to see GP next week, what should be included on this certificate? 

Do you mind me asking where you found the application form? I registered with ictheatre but haven't heard anything at all. Thanks.

12 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

Do you mind me asking where you found the application form? I registered with ictheatre but haven't heard anything at all. Thanks.

My DS registered with ictheatre and received confirmation of registration immediately by email, then later another email requesting further documents to complete application, to be uploaded to application. These included photo page of passport, certificate of general health and photo requirements. I had called NBS before making application and was told I would also need to fill out their application form (NBS1) and send directly to them by email or post. This form can be downloaded from NBS webpage.

• Thanks 1

On 09/09/2022 at 18:57, Mamaderuby said:

I have found the NBS G.P. certificate form online. So, problem solved.😃

On 10/09/2022 at 23:01, Streetdancer said:

I also haven’t received anything yet and registered about a week or so ago now. Although we also registered for the open day and I found two confirmations of that in my junk folder! Could be worth checking there, although I’m sure you’ve already done so. 

For those that do have the application details, can I ask what photos they require? And what is involved with the GP sign off? Is it simply a brief checkup? 

We’ve stayed at the Premier Inn a few minutes walk away from KS Dance when we’ve visited for events. It’s a little tricky if you don’t have car access though, as it’s not in Warrington itself. It’s not too far in a taxi from Warrington though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Contretemps said:

I also haven’t received anything yet and registered about a week or so ago now. Although we also registered for the open day and I found two confirmations of that in my junk folder! Could be worth checking there, although I’m sure you’ve already done so. 

For those that do have the application details, can I ask what photos they require? And what is involved with the GP sign off? Is it simply a brief checkup? 

They asked us to upload 3 photos: full length front, full length side and headshot. We uploaded the NBS G.P certificate which says "This is to certify that the above named is a patient of mine and that he/she is fit and well. He/she has no injury, illness or medical condition which should prevent full time dance training". We were also asked to upload the photo page of passport.  I'm not certain if this is to prove citizenship, as we are resident outside of UK, or if this is standard.

• Thanks 1

Hiya

Nearest and easiest hotel to KS is Premier Inn just off the M6. A short bus ride down road to studio. 
Just reread your post, where are you coming from?

31 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Hiya

Nearest and easiest hotel to KS is Premier Inn just off the M6. A short bus ride down road to studio. 
Just reread your post, where are you coming from?

We are coming from Málaga, so will arrive at Manchester airport. I've been told we can get train to Warrington central, then a bus to Premier Inn or Holiday Inn. I am hoping that NBS audition will be around the same time, would be great to do both those auditions in one trip! Highly unlikely, I know...but fingers crossed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Hiya

ok so train to Warrington central from Manchester.

No 3 bus takes you along road to KS studio (I can give you directions to studio nearer the time!)

No 3 also goes all way up to premier inn but, there is a travel lodge in town that’s near station and bus station! 💗

This is the greatest forum with the best parents! So helpful 🥰

• Like 1

On 13/09/2022 at 17:48, Mamaderuby said:

They asked us to upload 3 photos: full length front, full length side and headshot. We uploaded the NBS G.P certificate which says "This is to certify that the above named is a patient of mine and that he/she is fit and well. He/she has no injury, illness or medical condition which should prevent full time dance training". We were also asked to upload the photo page of passport.  I'm not certain if this is to prove citizenship, as we are resident outside of UK, or if this is standard.

Thanks for this ;) Managed to get set up in the portal and have submitted everything except the gp certificate. Booking an appointment is on my list of to dos. I’m wondering how long it would be before hearing about an audition place. Also curious to know when the audition dates are. We have one audition right in the middle of her mocks :( 

59 minutes ago, Contretemps said:

Thanks for this ;) Managed to get set up in the portal and have submitted everything except the gp certificate. Booking an appointment is on my list of to dos. I’m wondering how long it would be before hearing about an audition place. Also curious to know when the audition dates are. We have one audition right in the middle of her mocks :( 

I called them last week and they didn't have audition dates as yet. She said they were in the process of preparing for the new students, who I think started this week, and that dates will be up on social media soon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Contretemps said:

Hi, from past experience (unless they have completely changed their dates) NBS start offering audition dates commencing in Nov.  Dates are released late Sept.  One round, no recalls. There’s a break then start again in the new yr, we chose the first date in Nov. Letter arrived in the post one week after audition. All done and dusted before Christmas and the mocks 🙂  

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

On 30/08/2022 at 19:08, Pixiewoo said:

Renaissance Arts Conservatoire in Leeds does Ballet and Jazz. It takes students from 16, but a lot go at 18. DD has been dancing with them as a 'Scholar' ( additional training for those who still attend their regular school and dance classes ) for the past 5 years, and I am very impressed by them.

My dd has just started in first year at Renaissance Arts and is loving it, highly recommended 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2022 at 18:35, Mamaderuby said:

Thanks for your response. RCS modern ballet does look like a fantastic course. Unfortunately, there is the issue of funding. My DS has an Irish passport, but Spanish residency. After a lot of research, I have discovered he would be eligible to apply for DADA funding or for student loan (tuition only, in England, before 2028, under the CTA agreement) but not, unfortunately in Scotland, as residency requirements are different. NBS is definitely on the wishlist!

Could you please give me the link/info regarding the DADA? DS getting to senior school age, and he has English passport, residence Germany. I seem to have come up with the result that he’s not entitled, but if you know better, I’d only be too delighted!

23 minutes ago, Mamaderuby said:

This is most recent information. It's from 22/23 year. Was the same 21/22 year. 

EU residency + UK citizenship. I believe 

he would be eligible. 

https://www.gov.uk/dance-drama-awards

There are other eligibility requirements too, other than citizenship/residency, such as household income, age of student, etc. You can find all that info if you follow the link. 

On 22/11/2022 at 19:53, Mamaderuby said:

This is most recent information. It's from 22/23 year. Was the same 21/22 year. 

EU residency + UK citizenship. I believe 

he would be eligible. 

https://www.gov.uk/dance-drama-awards

That’s interesting to see that those from the EU are still eligible for a DaDa subject to other conditions obviously. Students from the Channel Islands are not eligible. Even though the islands are a crown dependency they are still excluded. 😕

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

That’s interesting to see that those from the EU are still eligible for a DaDa subject to other conditions obviously. Students from the Channel Islands are not eligible. Even though the islands are a crown dependency they are still excluded. 😕

Other than EUSS European citizens, it is only UK and Irish citizens. Not certain if this will be a temporary thing, similar to the Post Brexit 'temporary offer' for Irish and UK citizens with 3 years EU residency from Student loans England,  which will run until 2028, and covers tuition fee loans only, not maintenance. I imagine it is also a temporary Post Brexit thing.