Hi. DS, who will be turning 18 in June 2023, will soon be making applications for full time ballet training starting September 2023. He has decided to apply to Northern and KS to do Trinity diploma course, and Central and another school that can't be discussed on this forum, to do degree course. He has decided not to apply to Rambert or LSC. His real love is classical ballet, he also does jazz and contemporary.  Is there any other school he should consider applying to? His age excludes him from Elmhurst and Tring. I think his age might exclude him from the ENBS also, but has been advised to make application anyway. 

Any advice from parents/dancers who have gone through the process of applying to, or attending any of these schools, advice would be very welcome. Anyone currently going through this, or preparing to, support would be gladly received and willingly given.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mamaderuby said:

Hi. DS, who will be turning 18 in June 2023, will soon be making applications for full time ballet training starting September 2023. He has decided to apply to Northern and KS to do Trinity diploma course, and Central and another school that can't be discussed on this forum, to do degree course. He has decided not to apply to Rambert or LSC. His real love is classical ballet, he also does jazz and contemporary.  Is there any other school he should consider applying to? His age excludes him from Elmhurst and Tring. I think his age might exclude him from the ENBS also, but has been advised to make application anyway. 

Any advice from parents/dancers who have gone through the process of applying to, or attending any of these schools, advice would be very welcome. Anyone currently going through this, or preparing to, support would be gladly received and willingly given.

Hi. Mum to a NBS 2021 graduate here 🙋‍♀️  Happy to answer any questions you may have about the school, accommodation, training and of course career post grad. 

3 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Mum to a NBS 2021 graduate here 🙋‍♀️  Happy to answer any questions you may have about the school, accommodation, training and of course career post grad. 

Thanks for that. I have been reading your posts over past couple of years. You have already been helpful! DS visited NBS in January and loved the atmosphere. I will contact you with any specific questions, as they come up. Thankyou!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

My son started Elmhurst at 17 and his friend 18. There have been others of that age so don’t cross these off your list because of age 😄

Interesting! Elmhurst had suggested that he could apply for entry into the 3rd year, because of his age, but as he is in no way ready for that, I had crossed it off the list.

I will send in an application, see what happens. Thanks for the info.

26 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

My son started Elmhurst at 17 and his friend 18. There have been others of that age so don’t cross these off your list because of age 😄

A question, the A levels offered alongside the Trinity diploma course are optional? I ask, as my son will have just completed his schooling (A level equivalent). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mamaderuby said:

A question, the A levels offered alongside the Trinity diploma course are optional? I ask, as my son will have just completed his schooling (A level equivalent). 

My son had already done 4 As level exams but was still required to do two A levels at Elmhurst. The timetable is built around the academics and dance so if you don’t do the A levels then there is a lot of downtime. Some students dropped out of the A levels and they just kicked around. There was no studio or gym space for them as all slots were taken so no opportunity to do extra dance. I would email and ask them if they are compulsory, I’m sure that they, or an EPQ etc, are. Good luck 😀

31 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

My son had already done 4 As level exams but was still required to do two A levels at Elmhurst. The timetable is built around the academics and dance so if you don’t do the A levels then there is a lot of downtime. Some students dropped out of the A levels and they just kicked around. There was no studio or gym space for them as all slots were taken so no opportunity to do extra dance. I would email and ask them if they are compulsory, I’m sure that they, or an EPQ etc, are. Good luck 😀

Thanks 

It looks as if you have a good selection of suitable courses on your list given your DS's preference for classical ballet.  

If he will be joining after finishing A levels, I think it is good to consider, not only whether a school is prepared to take a student who is over 18, but also whether there are likely to be other students of the same age there with him.  I can imagine if you were the only 18/19 year old amongst a class of 16 year olds it might not be easy.

When my dd went to Northern Ballet School (many years ago) there was a broad age range in her year group.  As well as a mix of 16 year olds and 18 year olds there were a handful of older students too.  

Another course to consider might be https://www.rcs.ac.uk/courses/ba-modern-ballet/  I have no personal experience but my dd knew a few people who went there and they seem to produce excellent dancers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glowlight said:

It looks as if you have a good selection of suitable courses on your list given your DS's preference for classical ballet.  

If he will be joining after finishing A levels, I think it is good to consider, not only whether a school is prepared to take a student who is over 18, but also whether there are likely to be other students of the same age there with him.  I can imagine if you were the only 18/19 year old amongst a class of 16 year olds it might not be easy.

When my dd went to Northern Ballet School (many years ago) there was a broad age range in her year group.  As well as a mix of 16 year olds and 18 year olds there were a handful of older students too.  

Another course to consider might be https://www.rcs.ac.uk/courses/ba-modern-ballet/  I have no personal experience but my dd knew a few people who went there and they seem to produce excellent dancers.

Thanks for your response. RCS modern ballet does look like a fantastic course. Unfortunately, there is the issue of funding. My DS has an Irish passport, but Spanish residency. After a lot of research, I have discovered he would be eligible to apply for DADA funding or for student loan (tuition only, in England, before 2028, under the CTA agreement) but not, unfortunately in Scotland, as residency requirements are different. NBS is definitely on the wishlist!

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 17:35, Mamaderuby said:

Thanks for your response. RCS modern ballet does look like a fantastic course. Unfortunately, there is the issue of funding. My DS has an Irish passport, but Spanish residency. After a lot of research, I have discovered he would be eligible to apply for DADA funding or for student loan (tuition only, in England, before 2028, under the CTA agreement) but not, unfortunately in Scotland, as residency requirements are different. NBS is definitely on the wishlist!

Fair enough - and well done you for going into this with your research done and eyes full open with regard to funding.  An informed choice of 5 to 6 schools (as you have) is probably a good number to go in for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Have you looked at Kings International? 

Thankyou. I am unfamiliar with this school. I have just been perusing the website and it appears that recent graduates either have contracts or are in post grad training. Is there any kind of funding available? If anyone has first hand experience, please share. 

There seems to still be far fewer boys than girls  to ‘go around’ for upper schools & certainly fewer male full fee & overseas enhanced fee payers (ie. paying more than UK pupils).

I think if Classical then the schools directly linked to a company possibly get ‘first pickings’ (RBS/ENBS/Elmhurst)

This of course might not truly reflect which is best training/happiest place for an individual…..

Remember too that male dancers are required for females to learn pas de deux so the schools with higher male intake may offer better opportunities for females to gain skills/experience required too. I think age is certainly no barrier to entry for male dancers!

• Like 2

Just a heads up on NBS, which I'm sure they don't tell you. Second and third year students now have to go to Centre Point in Denton to make room for ICTheatre dancers.  My daughter is going into her third year and has been told they will be at Denton 3 days per week instead of the Dancehouse.

Edited by paulc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, paulc said:

Just a heads up on NBS, which I'm sure they don't tell you. Second and third year students now have to go to Centre Point in Denton to make room for ICTheatre dancers.  My daughter is going into her third year and has been told they will be at Denton 3 days per week instead of the Dancehouse.

Wow - Denton is quite a trek from Central Manchester.  

Renaissance Arts Conservatoire in Leeds does Ballet and Jazz. It takes students from 16, but a lot go at 18. DD has been dancing with them as a 'Scholar' ( additional training for those who still attend their regular school and dance classes ) for the past 5 years, and I am very impressed by them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulc said:

What is ICTheate please? 

Thanks paulc

am still rather confused though…

So is NBS now part of fully accredited university with degree courses & capped fees & qualify for applying for full student finance? Or is BIMM what is considered a ‘private university’ like I believe places like LSC are…. Am finding it all very confusing seeing what is out there for dance/performance degrees 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Thanks paulc

am still rather confused though…

So is NBS now part of fully accredited university with degree courses & capped fees & qualify for applying for full student finance? Or is BIMM what is considered a ‘private university’ like I believe places like LSC are…. Am finding it all very confusing seeing what is out there for dance/performance degrees 

All we received was this. Hopefully will get some answers when term starts.

I am delighted to be able to share with you the fantastic news that BIMM Institute, of which ICTheatre is a part, has been granted University Title by the Department for Education. With immediate effect, ICTheatre Manchester is officially part of ‘BIMM University’.

This is a tremendous accolade for our Institution and, following on from Degree Awarding Powers being granted by the UK Privy Council in 2019, represents the culmination of a long journey to develop the educational character of our institution.

The journey we have undertaken as an institution to be granted University Title has been a rigorous one in which we feel a huge sense of collective pride, and it enables us to continue to develop our unique brand of education for you and other students seeking a career in the creative industries.

What does this mean for you? As you are enrolled on a course which leads to a BIMM award, on successful completion you will graduate with a BIMM University Degree.

Do you have to do anything? No – ICTheatre Manchester is remaining the same.

We look forward to moving forward together with this fantastic news and recognition of our educational excellence alongside our industry excellence.

1 hour ago, paulc said:

All we received was this. Hopefully will get some answers when term starts.

I am delighted to be able to share with you the fantastic news that BIMM Institute, of which ICTheatre is a part, has been granted University Title by the Department for Education. With immediate effect, ICTheatre Manchester is officially part of ‘BIMM University’.

This is a tremendous accolade for our Institution and, following on from Degree Awarding Powers being granted by the UK Privy Council in 2019, represents the culmination of a long journey to develop the educational character of our institution.

The journey we have undertaken as an institution to be granted University Title has been a rigorous one in which we feel a huge sense of collective pride, and it enables us to continue to develop our unique brand of education for you and other students seeking a career in the creative industries.

What does this mean for you? As you are enrolled on a course which leads to a BIMM award, on successful completion you will graduate with a BIMM University Degree.

Do you have to do anything? No – ICTheatre Manchester is remaining the same.

We look forward to moving forward together with this fantastic news and recognition of our educational excellence alongside our industry excellence.

with

Yes, I saw that...but am wondering how NBS fits into this? Did it get absorbed into ICT & therefore now BIMM? And is BIMM it's own uni with awarding powers rather than like how some places eg. RBS get their degrees validated by an external uni like Bath Spa/Kent....???