Vyvyan Lorrayne RIP

So very sorry to hear of the loss of another of that fabulous generation of dancers which I have had the pleasure to see dance over the years. She was such an elegant dancer with a vivacious personality that shone through in all her roles. I feel privileged to have seen her dance many times.

• Like 3

I want to add my own tribute to Lorrayne who I remember watching over 50 years ago at the ROH. She danced in all 3 ballets of a triple bill I attended in 1970: Birthday Offering, Enigma Variations and Facade (all Ashton, of course). I was very young but I remember being entranced by all the dancers, especially in Enigma. Lorrayne was Isabel Fitton in Enigma, a role I understand she created. Her interpretation was unforgettable. I also feel privileged to have seen it. 

• Like 5

Whilst I was lucky enough to see her in a variety of roles with SWRB,my most vivid memories of lovely Vyvyan Lorrayne have to be of Monotones and Enigma;I do not think she was equalled in either.I am pretty sure I recall a friend commenting at the time that she was the only Ysobel who managed to die her shoes to match the blue ribbons in the costume.She is a beautiful Fairy Summer in the Sib/Dowell Cinderella film but also,later with SWRB surprised us all with her very funny but poignant American Lady in "the Grand Tour";great fun at the time alongside her contrasting Balanchine roles in Apollo,Prodigal Son and Allegro Brillante.

Happy memories,thank you.

• Like 3