BALLETS BASED ON REAL LIFE

Please could Forum members help me.

Prompted by thoughts of Mayerling, I started to make a list of ballets based on real life people or events. I got as far as:

Sweet Violets (Jack the Ripper)

No Man’s Land, Second Breath and Dust (all related in some way to World War 1)

Flight Pattern (refugee crisis)

The Cellist (Jacqueline du Pre) 

A Simple Man (LS Lowry)

Cyrano (although the real man’s story was fictionalised)

Edward II

Strapless (the story of a woman in a painting which caused a scandal)

and then dried up.
I’m sure I’m missing many obvious examples  but I’m stuck on works which seem real but aren’t.

• Like 1

In Denmark we have a ballet " Blixen" created by the principal of RDB Gregory Dean about the life of Karen Blixen (well known if not because of her books, then at least because of "Out of Africa" film). By the way, there'll be several performances of this ballet in the autumn and the approximate cast can be seen on Det Kongelige teater web page. I hope I'll get Astrid Elbo as Karen Blixen, she should be amazing in this role!

Also, some of us surely watched "Sibelius" of the Finnish ballet, about the famous composer from Finland. 

Alexei Ratmansky's " The flames of Paris" is also based on the real events.

" Come fly away" of Twyla Tarp is based on the life and songs of Frank Sinatra.

Edited by Estreiiita
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Cathy Marston's first ballet when she took over Bern Ballet years back was a Firebird based on Rasputin's interaction with the Romanovs.

This has reminded me of Peter Schaufuss's The Nutcracker production from the 1990s with Tchaikovsky's family as the party guests. I can't recall if he extended the concept into Act II as well, since I was only about 7 when I saw it so only have very hazy memories of it.

2 hours ago, jm365 said:

Bejart also made a ballet based on Nijinsky:  Nijinsky Clown of God.  Also one on Charlie Chaplin.  And Elizabeth of Austria:  Sissi.

Bèjart? Vous avez dit Béjart?

"Baudelaire"

"Le Molière Imaginaire"

"Malraux ou la Métamorphose des Dieux" - based on the French writer André Malraux

"M comme Mishima" – based on the Japanese writer Yukio Mishima

"Zarathoustra – Le Chant de la Danse" - based on Nietzsche

"Tod in Wien” – based on the death of Mozart

"Sissi, L'Impératrice anarchiste"

"Brel et Barbara"

"Le presbytère n'a rien perdu de son charme, ni le jardin de son secret" – or "Ballet for Life", based on the life of Freddie Mercury and also a bit on Mozart

"Piaf"

"Mr. C" - based on Charlie Chaplin

"Divine" - based on Greta Garbo

"Isadora"

"Njinsky, Clown de Dieu"

"Ciao Federico" and "Soirée Fellini" – based on Federico Fellini

"Mère Teresa et les Enfants du Monde" – based on the life of Mother Teresa

I think we have a winner 🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apart from ballets based on Nijinsky’s life by Bèjart and Neumeier there were two more:

“Nijinski” by Marco Goecke - Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo

“Nijinsky’ by Mikhail Lavrovsky - at Lavrovsky Gala

You will laugh but there was even a dancing Lenin in the ballet production of "Falcons of the Revolution” by Bulat Ayukhanov in Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2013. Other characters in that ballet were: Marx, Stalin, and the Kazakh President Nazarbayev!

In one of the scenes Lenin inspires the workers to volunteer for unpaid work on weekends and himself carries a log.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Meo2E9qVgw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Lili, The Danish Girl" by Reginaldo Oliveira, Salzburg Ballet 2022 - inspired by the German painter and transgender person Lili Elbe

"Anne Frank", also by Oliveira, Karlsruhe Ballet 2016

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Sylvia Plath, by Heidelberg Dance Theatre

That was by Johann Kresnik - if you go to the German dance theatre or Tanztheater, Kresnik did many pieces about real people -  about the German terrorists Ulrike Meinhof and Gudrun Ensslin, about the Chancellor's wife Hannelore Kohl, about Nietzsche, Ernst Jünger, Frida Kahlo, Picasso, Brecht, Francis Bacon, Goya etc. etc.

• Like 2

Also, Peter Darrell made a Mayerling ballet (long before Macmillan's) - for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet in 1963.

And the RDB's Caroline Mathilde (chor. Flemming Flindt) is based on the life of the English Princess of that name.

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I should have mentioned these earlier, but Cathy Marston's work as Director of Bern Ballet included:

Clara, based on the Clara Schumann, Robert Schumann, Johannes Brahms triangle.

Witch Hunt/Hexenhatz, based on the story of the last witch condemned to death in Switzerland.

There may be others, but these I recall from company visits to the Linbury ... especially Witch Hunt!

• Like 1

Ballet “Pushkin” — Kirov Ballet, 1979. Music by Andrei Petrov. Choreography by N.Kasatkina and V.Vasilyov.

Ballets by Boris Eifman:
1993 - "Tchaikovsky" to the music by Tchaikovsky.
1999 - "Russian Hamlet" ("Son of Catherine the Great") to music by       Beethoven, Mahler.
1997 - "Red Giselle” (based on life of Olga Spessivtseva) to the music by Tchaikovsky, Bizet and Schnittke.
2011 - "Roden. Her Eternal Idol" to music by Ravel, Saint-Saens, Massenet.
2021 - “Passion according to Molière” to music by Mozart, Berlioz, Lully.
Edited by Amelia
Corrected layout.
  • Like 3