The Dancing Times is closing down

I've just picked this up via Facebook.  It's such sad news that the Dancing Times is ceasing publication with the final edition being September 2022.

Apart from the loss of jobs the loss of quality writing about dance is tragic.

Best wishes to all at the Dancing Times.

https://www.dancing-times.co.uk/important-announcement-from-dancing-times-magazine/?fbclid=IwAR3Z459rnoCFH1KP_PUn-ufn2cx9tAF9eIL3pmbTp-FP-vsM0-6sgieOoJg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

What truly sad news!  The DT will be very much missed.  I do hope all the wonderful staff and writers find new places of work.  Thank you all so much for all you have done for the world of dance over the years I have been a regular reader.

• Like 5

Such sad news.

Everyone expects everything for free via the interweb these days, so I suppose in these almost 'end of days' times we currently find ourselves in, casualties that were successful in better, happier times are inevitable, however tragic we find them once they occur

😞

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, bridiem said:

This forum will become even more crucial than it already is in terms of disseminating news, reviews etc.

Though that won't be a substitute for the in depth, professionally written interviews and reviews the DT could provide. The newspaper reviews are necessarily brief because of space issues (though wouldn't it be great if they could expand those online) so it is going to leave a huge hole.

Emma at Dance Europe - no pressure!

• Like 6

Wow… First the passing of Clement Crisp, then the closure of Dance Books earlier this year. Now this. My heart is in my stomach.

I’ll never forget visiting their office with my mom (one of our trips from San Juan)…seeking the building in the courtyard…climbing up narrow steps…meeting Ms Mary Clarke no less…& a bunch of other really nice people. 😭

• Like 9

Very sad. When I passed a stiff exam back in about 1982, my mother gave me a cardboard box. It contained the many issues of the Dancing Times from the 1920s her mother had collected as a girl and young woman all the way over in Australia, then the issues my mother herself had collected in the 1950s. My maternal grandmother died when I was two. I hope she would have liked knowing that I've added to the family collection from interest not family feeling!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

No Clem, no Dance Books, no Dancing Times, hardly any Ashton and BRB cutting back on anything classical.  Oh dear, my great years of ballet going really are over.

It’s a strange moment, I agree. The closure of both Dance Books and Dancing Times is sad. The sudden closure of such a key publication is also shocking. As someone who first went to Covent Garden in 1976 I’m just going to console myself that I saw some amazing dancers do some great works. And I agree, some of them should be seen far more often than they are now. But alongside campaigning for more frequent revivals - yes to more Ashton and also to some almost forgotten MacMillan works - I’m still going enjoy the best of the new. And for me that does include McGregor, Pite, and new ones still to come. I’m very happy to live in the present and look to the future…I just don’t want the best of the past to be neglected. It too deserves to be part of the present and the future. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

DT is a business whose income is subscriptions/purchases and advertising.  Advertising has collapsed.  Also, of all the ballet fans, how many have a subscription/buy the magazine every month?  Does everyone on balletcoforum?  I suspect not.  That, I imagine, is why DT is folding.

• Like 2

I’m so sad that dancing times is closing, if it wasn’t for this publication we would probably never have even thought about going down the dance route!!! 
We saw an advert for ‘JA for a day’ and have never looked back! From that day dd was JA for 3 years and has just completed 9 yrs of vocational training! And now starts a PPP in sept! I love seeing all the adverts for schools and colleges, and reading about the dancers!

Will be greatly miss it coming in the post! The highlight of my month 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’ve had a subscription for years and have just renewed! Do we get a refund 🤣

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Sitter In said:

DT is a business whose income is subscriptions/purchases and advertising.  Advertising has collapsed.  Also, of all the ballet fans, how many have a subscription/buy the magazine every month?  Does everyone on balletcoforum?  I suspect not.  That, I imagine, is why DT is folding.

no doubt. I'm guilty as charged, as I only bought the magazine if there was an article on one of my favourite dancers

• Like 1

I have subscribed to DT for many years, as a student, professional dancer and then teacher. The August issue is the last of my current annual sub. I was still wondering whether to renew or not as so much ballet information now comes online. But it is sad to see it go. My moment of glory was when I was included in GBL Wilson's column naming graduates new contracts!

• Like 3

I have subscribed to DT or (when this was possible - many years ago) bought it at WH Smith, since 1977. I subscribed to Dance and Dancers too when that was in existence. I wish that a way could have been found to keep publishing DT in some form, but I'm sure they investigated every possible avenue.

• Like 2

This is so sad.  Jon and his staff did a sterling job and held out for as long as possible.  Sadly, they become one of the 16,000 businesses lost because of the pandemic and other economic factors.  Such a waste.  :(

"Sadly, since 2020, the tremendous economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic, as well as the rapid increase in costs over the past year, means the magazine is no longer financially viable in its current form." 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Vanartus said:

It’s a strange moment, I agree. The closure of both Dance Books and Dancing Times is sad. The sudden closure of such a key publication is also shocking. As someone who first went to Covent Garden in 1976 I’m just going to console myself that I saw some amazing dancers do some great works. And I agree, some of them should be seen far more often than they are now. But alongside campaigning for more frequent revivals - yes to more Ashton and also to some almost forgotten MacMillan works - I’m still going enjoy the best of the new. And for me that does include McGregor, Pite, and new ones still to come. I’m very happy to live in the present and look to the future…I just don’t want the best of the past to be neglected. It too deserves to be part of the present and the future. 

There is some age advice here but, speaking entirely from my personal experience I last saw the Royal Ballet live in 2003.  A significant change in my circumstances meant I have only be able to watch the company via DVDs and streaming services.  There is much I would love to able to view now but I would just make the point that the current offerings of the company closest to my heart, BRB, include a ballet consisting entirely of the cast members rushing around throwing and catching bottles of water.  Not very high on my list of choice viewing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

It’s a disgrace. In a rational world there would be subsidies available from the Arts Council. Why should sich a fine service to an entire artistic community have be self-sustaining and commercial? 

I have subscribed to DT for years. Also I have tried to build up as large a collection of earlier back issues as possible for research purposes (if anyone is now feeling like getting rid of copies, feel free to contact me privately). 

Other countries get state support for such endeavours as normal, as indeed used to be the case in Britain. A mix of commercial sales, advertising, sponsorship and grant aid - in varying proportions depending on externalities - is not unusual and nothing to be ashamed of. I am not happy about the current state of the Arts Council and wish their thinking could be tweaked to help rescue this fine publication. 

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 1

I used to subscribe regularly for a number of years but in more recent times have only bought occasionally I have to confess. 
I still think it’s a shame it can’t continue as did have some excellent articles and important obituaries and other info for younger dancers etc. 

Another end of an era moment 😥

• Like 2

I don't understand why they close completely. Print issues are expensive in production, so I wouldn't be surprised if other magazines (Dance Europe, for example) experience problems as well. But why doesn’t Dancing Times continue with the online part? Of course a fine print is a quality product, but if it doesn't sell (which is very sad indeed) try something different, I'd say. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

I don't understand why they close completely. Print issues are expensive in production, so I wouldn't be surprised if other magazines (Dance Europe, for example) experience problems as well. But why doesn’t Dancing Times continue with the online part? Of course a fine print is a quality product, but if it doesn't sell (which is very sad indeed) try something different, I'd say. 

I assume because there would still be the expense of their office premises although perhaps people have been WFH because of the pandemic.

If there could be a continuation of the online offering that would be fabulous.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I assume because there would still be the expense of their office premises although perhaps people have been WFH because of the pandemic.

If there could be a continuation of the online offering that would be fabulous.

Well their statement does say that it's no longer viable in its 'current form' so maybe there is hope of some sort of continuation?

• Like 4

I currently subscribe to the online version which is great but not very expensive.  Perhaps there aren't enough subscribers to pay staff wages even if they didn't need an office and worked from home. However, it would be great if it could continue online. Such a loss of a great magazine that has given so much knowledge and enjoyment to ballet enthusiasts for over a century. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dancers Dad said:

My daughter's gutted about this - loves her copy coming through the post each month and reads it from cover to cover.

Are there any other comparable magazines, either print or online?

The only one I know of is Dance Europe and that's gone from monthly to every 2 months but it is still a great read. It is available both in hard copy and online.

Just thought, could Dancing Times survive as a bi monthly magazine? I'm sure the owners must have considered this.

Dance Europe is priced for 6 issues but that of course means a years subscription.

Sorry Janet, our posts must have clashed!

https://danceeurope.net/store/

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/08/2022 at 13:33, Jan McNulty said:

Dance Europe is a good read.

I wonder why they don't answer emails though. I buy copies occasionally. Are they still in business? I wrote 2 emails, asking them in the 2nd email to confirm the receipt of No. 1 - no response. Strange. I'm glad I did not subscribe for more than 1 issue recently