RB Mayerling 2022 casting discussion

26 minutes ago, Rachel H said:

My first Rudolph was Stephen Jefferies. A terrific first performance (for me) 'Mayerling.' I would agree with all Sim's choices for Rudolph, adding Jefferies to my list too.

Sadly I never saw him in the role...I can imagine him being wonderful in it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sim said:

If you don't mind me answering, and straight out of my head without having to think:

David Wall

Adam Cooper

Irek Mukhamedov

Jonathan Cope

Edward Watson

Johan Kobborg

Thiago Soares

Federico Bonelli

And after only one performance, I would add Matthew Ball although more required to be among the greats.  I am sure he will be.

Apparently Friedemann Vogel is amazing too, but sadly I haven't seen him live in the role so can't comment.

I just can't choose one!!

To this amazing list, I would add that I had also had some pleasant surprises notably Derek Deane and (at the Stanislavsky) Igor Zelensky (simply astonishing).

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

To this amazing list, I would add that I had also had some pleasant surprises notably Derek Deane and (at the Stanislavsky) Igor Zelensky (simply astonishing).

I saw Derek Deane too and I am staggered how clearly I remember it.  He was so very much better than expected.

• Like 1

For me  the best Rudolf Friedemann Vogel from Stuttgart is, whom I saw live this June. I am very curious about Vadim in this role. And I would like to see one of the soloists of the Ballet Paris Opera in the autumn Mayerling production at the Garnier Palace, especially Hugo Marchand.

8 hours ago, capybara said:

Derek Deane was my first Rudolf in a performance that was my first ever visit to ROH in December 1984 as a very new ballet watcher.  I thought he was amazing but later I heard other people being disparaging about him in the role.  I’ve never been sure since if I was just overwhelmed by the whole experience so thank you Capybara and Two Pigeons!

• Like 4

This discussion has made me book some more tickets- once again the Forum dents my bank balance.

It is not even my favourite ballet, by a long way- but it does have some superb moments.

I shall never forget Jonathan Cope in particular - and Edward Watson.

• Like 7

Wayne Eagling was for many years the dancer i followed the most - will never forget him hurling Wendy Ellis about like a rag doll (she was amazing as Stephanie) and with Ferri as vetsera. Then there was Irek - perfect for the role - but his debut of course always tinged with the utter shock of what happened that night. I can still hear the cries and then the silence 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

I’m surprised that Germain Louvet isn’t cast but perhaps he is indisposed.

Louvet was announced a couple of weeks ago as replacing Marchand in the Nureyev Gala in September so presumably isn't currently injured, unless he's got injured very recently.

• Thanks 1

Vadim Muntagirov for me every time because I have an enormous crush on him.  He's an amazing dancer and, having done some of his masterclasses online at Danceworks also a really nice person. I always look to see when he's performing before booking anything.  I would then check whether Bennet Gartside is in the cast because I like to watch him especially when he's being the villain.  

I don't know if Vadim the best person for that role but if I could only see once I'd always pick his performances. 

The other current dancer I'd love to see in the role would probably be Tzu-Chao Chou from BRB simply because I think he'd be really good at it as he has seems to bring so much character to every part and also has beautiful technique.  

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

The other current dancer I'd love to see in the role would probably be Tzu-Chao Chou from BRB simply because I think he'd be really good at it as he has seems to bring so much character to every part and also has beautiful technique.  

Big hugs for you from this Aussie Tzu-Chao fan! 

22 hours ago, PeterS said:

Paris Opera Ballet have cast the following to dance Rudolf:

François Alu

Stéphane Bullion

Mathieu Ganio

Hugo Marchand

Paul Marque

I thought at the time of the announcement (June, 20th or 21st) that it's somewhat remarkable Bullion has been cast, as he's just had his official farewell, having reached mandatory retirement age! I think he'll make a wonderful Rudolf. Ganio will be amazing as always. The other three are all under 30, Marchand and Alu 28, Marque just 25 if I remember correctly. Looking to the production remaining in the company repertoire I'm sure, while Bullion and Ganio deserve to show us what they can do. I am a bit surprised Mathias Heymann isn't being given a chance too, but perhaps both he and Louvet chose not to (Paris étoiles famously being able to have a say in what they do and don't do, Alice Renavand's début as Giselle being a case in point).

Edited by Sophoife
Added POB comments.
  • Thanks 1