RB Mayerling 2022 casting discussion

I think this is appropriate thread for this question as not sure it warrants a new one! 
I know I should be able to make up my own mind but am at an impasse at the moment. 
So if you knew you could only go the ONCE to see Mayerling which cast would you choose the one with 

Muntagirov

Ball 

Sambé or 

Hirano 

So that’s looking at the main male role plus others dancing parts that day. 
What would be the favourite combination for just one visit? 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I think this is appropriate thread for this question as not sure it warrants a new one! 
I know I should be able to make up my own mind but am at an impasse at the moment. 
So if you knew you could only go the ONCE to see Mayerling which cast would you choose the one with 

Muntagirov

Ball 

Sambé or 

Hirano 

As Muntagirov and Sambe are making debuts, I can't pass judgement on their performances.  Personally I can't really see either of them as Rudolf but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised (as I was with Thiago Soares...my expectations were low and he delivered a performance that made me weep and was unforgettable).  Of the remaining two on your list I would go with Matthew Ball.  His Rudolf was stunning, and with Melissa Hamilton it worked so well.  

• Like 3

My friend says Ball but she is going to Muntagirov and Hirano as well!! 
I was tempted by Muntagirov as although a debut he could be really surprising. I think but not sure Ball has the stronger supporting cast though? 

I would prioritise Matthew Ball. There were outstanding reviews for his last minute debut last time around and he will be dancing with Laura Morera whose debut Vetsera with Federico Bonelli is seared into my memory as one of the most astonishing things I hve ever been lucky enough to see.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

My friend says Ball but she is going to Muntagirov and Hirano as well!! 
I was tempted by Muntagirov as although a debut he could be really surprising. I think but not sure Ball has the stronger supporting cast though? 

Ball has a great supporting cast:  Laura Morera was just amazing as Vetsera, and I am sure that she will make the years melt away. Mayara Magri is debuting as Larisch and I can see her as being very believable in the role.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

So if you knew you could only go the ONCE to see Mayerling which cast would you choose

When I pick between casts, my default is to see a principal role debut. Except in this case. Am seeing Ball and Hirano. Haven't seen either in Mayerling before tbh, so but both feel much more Rudolf to me. And the rest of the cast looks amazing as well.

• Like 1

Well, I'm prioritising the Sambé cast, although perhaps more to see Francesca Hayward's debut as Mary Vetsera, which I've been waiting for for years :)  For Rudolfs, I'd go for Ball, I think - although I know I've been annoyed to see dancers in supporting roles who I want to see cast in performances where other dancers have been less tempting.

As for the cinema broadcast, Hirano inherited Osipova from Ed Watson, and she usually seems to get picked for cinema broadcasts - possibly with a DVD in mind?

Another thing to consider, since we've been deprived of what should have been the final Rudolfs of both Watson and Bonelli :( :( , is who is likely still to be around next time (a possible argument for Ball getting the next cinema relay?) and who needs to be snapped up while they're still performing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

Muntagirov

Ball 

Sambé or 

Hirano 

Steven McRae is also dancing the lead role at four performances 

• Like 2

I'll go to the cinema to see Ryoichi Hirano, and I've booked for Vadim Muntagirov, Marcelino Sambe and Steven McRae, 3 new Rudolfs for me plus Steven McRae who was sensationally good when dancing at short notice last time round with Akane Takada when Sarah Lamb was injured, so pleased they have 2 more performances!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Steven McRae is also dancing the lead role at four performances 

I wouldn't have thought of SM in the role but I saw the stream with him during the last lockdown and I think it is the best and best role I have seen him dance.

• Like 7

Thanks for suggestions! And sorry forgot Stephen McCrae….I have an idea he could be good in this role too. 

Since I posted I’ve had an unexpected offer from a Forum member of a Standing ticket for one of the Muntagirov performances which I’ve gratefully taken up! 
This allows me to consider another performance to book now. 
In the usual run of things I tend to prefer mid week performances only because I’m in London most Tuesdays and Wednesdays in term times anyway but for certain performances will always travel up again if need be. 
So now it’s down to McCrae or Ball in November!! Still some food for thought looking at the whole casts! 

• Like 1

Would so love to see Muntagirov and Ball as Rudolph, but no way to make the trip at this time. I will count on the Forum to comment on the performances and so look forward to reading everyone's impressions. 

• Like 2

I will definitely go to the cinema relay, but doubt I will go to any other performances. I would like to see Matthew Ball, though, I think he would be my first choice. I have bought box tickets for the Diamond Celebration, which were expensive, and have also booked good seats for Nutcracker. I want to see Beauty a couple of times and Cinderella and am considering Woolf Works (the latter two I have never seen) too - so it may well be I have to give Mayerling a miss at ROH., so the cinema relay is my only option There is only so far my budget can stretch, unfortunately, and I like buying good tickets and seeing fewer performances.  I am really looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts and opinions, as I find the different perspective of ballet forum members so interesting.

• Like 2

I’ve seen a lot of Rudolfs since seeing the roles created. Never forgotten.  I really admire Macrae in many ways and he’s the most recent Rudolf I have seen. Totally  my personal opinion but I found him totally over the top especially in the tavern scene. I’m giving it a miss this time but if I was coming down it would be Ball. If I lived in London I’d see the debuts for sure and can’t wait to read about the performances here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silver Capricorn said:

This year I saw Friedemann Vogel in the role of Rudolf in Stuttgart, and he was realy great. I'm glad to be able to compare it to Vadim Muntagirov, who I will see at ROH in November. I would also like to see Mayerling in Paris, but that is still uncertain.

I saw FV in the performance that Stuttgart streamed during the first lockdown.  He was quite remarkable.  You are so lucky to have seen him perform this role live!

• Like 3

If I could only pick one, I would pick Steven MacCrae. I can still see his drunken leer at Mayara Magri in the Hungarian scene all this years later! If I  had unlimited cash, I would chose the Ball and Muntagirov debuts too, Ball because I think he would really do an excellent job and Muntagirov because I would like to see what he can do. As it is I will see none of them, not even the live stream because of my stupid immune system :::throws tantrum:::

• Like 2

This ‘looking forward’ is interesting. 
I need my Rudolfs to show me a gradual build up of madness/delusion and to let me feel as if it is coming from deep inside the character.

Two of the upcoming casts have, in the past, shown a tendency to pull exaggerated faces rather than be  the complex man that is Rudolf. One has (to me) shown himself to be among the greats in the role.

It will be fascinating to see how it all plays out this year and the extent to which perceptions vary on this forum.

• Like 3

Really sorry you can’t get to see this Fiz it must be so annoying. A pity they can’t have at least one performance in a run at the theatre/cinema which has audience distanced more for people with immune problems ( eg: undergoing Cancer treatment etc)

Personally I’m dreading the day when can’t manage ballet classes or performances any more for one reason or the other 😥

I did forget to mention the Sambé cast too ….which could be interesting (and one of his performances is actually on my birthday) although for me  he is the hardest one to see in the main role in this but hoping he will in fact surprise everyone as he is still young. 

Anyway Ive finally made a decision on the other performance so have just booked to see Ball in November as that cast overall  does look both strong and interesting. 
Are others still making up their minds or have now finally booked as well? 

• Like 1

I really understand that, Lin. When I was told that I couldn’t kneel anymore I was horrified and I was lucky that the nurse who told me also danced so she understood how I felt. I did ask a teacher if she could cater around that but I never heard back from her so that was that. Re the Sambé cast, Rudolf was only thirty when the Mayerling affair happened but syphilis and prolonged stress, drugs and partying made him look far older.

2 hours ago, Fiz said:

If I could only pick one, I would pick Steven MacCrae. I can still see his drunken leer at Mayara Magri in the Hungarian scene all this years later! If I  had unlimited cash, I would chose the Ball and Muntagirov debuts too, Ball because I think he would really do an excellent job and Muntagirov because I would like to see what he can do. As it is I will see none of them, not even the live stream because of my stupid immune system :::throws tantrum:::

It isn't a debut for Ball; he famously danced the role last time around at very short notice and was truly wonderful.

So sorry Fiz that you can't make any of the shows or the live stream.  :(

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I chose my casts for Morera's appearances …

Agreed both as Vetsera and Larisch. And also Francesca Hayward’s long awaited Vetsera debut which I (and I’m sure many others) hoped would very quickly have followed her astonishing Manon debut. Whilst Morera/Hayward were very much my first choices, I’m looking forward to seeing the other casts but haven’t as yet managed to juggle things to include the Melissa Hamilton cast.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Agreed both as Vetsera and Larisch. And also Francesca Hayward’s long awaited Vetsera debut which I (and I’m sure many others) hoped would very quickly have followed her astonishing Manon debut. Whilst Morera/Hayward were very much my first choices, I’m looking forward to seeing the other casts but haven’t as yet managed to juggle things to include the Melissa Hamilton cast.

I've booked to see the Melissa Hamilton cast at the matinee on 12th Nov as it follows on next day after one of Vadim's performances, though a 12.30 start may be a bit early for some if you're travelling from a distance.

14 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I chose my casts for Morera's appearances rather than Rudolf himself.  But how can anyone resist this?  Osipova, Morera, Arestis and Hayward on all stage.  Oh, and Rudolf is Hirano.

Also its the cinema broadcast cast for anyone who can't make it to the Opera House. For admirers of Hayward, her and Sambe's cast also feature Annette Buvoli and Isabella Gasparini (debuts?) Some great casting I'm looking forward to seeing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I've booked to see the Melissa Hamilton cast at the matinee on 12th Nov as it follows on next day after one of Vadim's performances

I’d hoped to do the same as you but a family wedding takes out the matinee. The wedding’s in Kent so I will see the Friday night performance.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2022 at 09:39, capybara said:

This ‘looking forward’ is interesting. 
I need my Rudolfs to show me a gradual build up of madness/delusion and to let me feel as if it is coming from deep inside the character.

Two of the upcoming casts have, in the past, shown a tendency to pull exaggerated faces rather than be  the complex man that is Rudolf. One has (to me) shown himself to be among the greats in the role.

It will be fascinating to see how it all plays out this year and the extent to which perceptions vary on this forum.

Out of interest, who was your ‘great’ Rudolf pfrom past performances you’ve seen? 

Edited by Peanut68

56 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’d hoped to do the same as you but a family wedding takes out the matinee. The wedding’s in Kent so I will see the Friday night performance.

These families just don't understand the importance of ballet scheduling; surely they could have postponed?!😀😃

Hope you enjoy the Friday performance. Might see you there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Out of interest, who was your ‘great’ Rudolf pfrom past performances you’ve seen? 

If you don't mind me answering, and straight out of my head without having to think:

David Wall

Adam Cooper

Irek Mukhamedov

Jonathan Cope

Edward Watson

Johan Kobborg

Thiago Soares

Federico Bonelli

And after only one performance, I would add Matthew Ball although more required to be among the greats.  I am sure he will be.

Apparently Friedemann Vogel is amazing too, but sadly I haven't seen him live in the role so can't comment.

I just can't choose one!!

• Like 5

For me, Irek Mukhamedov is my favourite of previous Rudolfs and Federico Bonelli of more recent  performances would be my choice of great Rudolfs. I'm sure Adam Cooper would have been great if his Onegin is anything to go by (still my gold star Onegin) but I didn't see him. Similarly, I'm sure Matthew Ball will be a great current Rudolf but I haven't seen him yet. That treat to come in this coming run.

• Like 4