Royal Ballet 2022/23 Winter Ticket Prices

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/08/2022 at 13:04, PeterS said:

perhaps patrons will be minded to get their furs out of mothballs again.
i remember remarking how cold it was on my first visit to Sydney Opera House in 1981 to be told that the temperature was intentionally cool so that furs could be worn and displayed during the intervals.

A riot of technicolour fun fur would be more appropriate for today’s climate methinks. 

If patrons had to keep their coats on during the performance, that means no queueing for coats at the cloakroom required after the show, which saves precious time. I do remember the ROH, Barbican Theatre  and Barbican Hall being three venues that were heated rather excessively in the past (the temperatures are better adjusted now) such that it had a rather soporific effect during long operas/acts/symphonies! 

I think most theatre auditoriums could still go slightly cooler on days when it is sold out or over 90% full- it can still get too warm in the ROH main auditorium sometimes, London Coliseum too. 

Fun fact: when Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony and Sixth (“Pastoral”) Symphony was premiered on 22 December 1808 together with his Fourth Piano Concerto, his Choral Fantasy and  excerpts of his Mass in C major (it ran over four hours!) in the Theater an der Wien hall, there wasn’t much heating and the audience sat down in the freezing hall  still wearing their coats, cloaks, muffs, gloves etc. The musicians must have been freezing too! But the audience were excited and very keen to hear all the new works- two of them are major hits today (just about everyone on the planet with access to a radio, tv or computer knows the opening of Fifth Symphony) and all are still played. Perhaps turning off the heating (but keep it on for dancers and other performers to warm up!) might inspire creative feats of genius. 😆😂

• Like 1

Could someone remind me, please, how to print off the calendar for the Winter booking period?  I've done it in the past, but can't see how to do it with the current configuration.  Failing that, if there's a combined Ballet/Opera casting PDF for the period, that would do nicely :)

1 hour ago, alison said:

Could someone remind me, please, how to print off the calendar for the Winter booking period?  I've done it in the past, but can't see how to do it with the current configuration.  Failing that, if there's a combined Ballet/Opera casting PDF for the period, that would do nicely :)

Is there something similar in the Friends magazine? 

I will check when I get home from work.

Edited by oncnp

6 hours ago, alison said:

There is a calendar list (not sure of it's what you had in mind) on pg 72-73 (pg 37 of the digital version) of the Friends magazine. 

If you can't access it I can send a pdf.

16 hours ago, alison said:

Drat, missed that.  Thanks - a PDF would be helpful.

Apologies - I wasn't fast enough. the Winter magazine has disappeared from my Member's page in favor of the "Coming Soon" Spring edition.  Apparently as soon as general booking starts, that season is over. 

Edited by oncnp