ROH Website problems 2018

Sim

Does anyone know what is wrong with the ROH website? I have been trying to get onto it since yesterday morning and it keeps telling me it is unavailable. maybe they are doing a big maintenance job, or maybe it' s just me?!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what is wrong with the ROH website? I have been trying to get onto it since yesterday morning and it keeps telling me it is unavailable. maybe they are doing a big maintenance job, or maybe it' s just me?!

I used it yesterday and just a few minutes ago with no problem, so maybe the problem is with you. Sorry!

• 3 years later...

Thought I'd piggyback on this thread: is it just me, or are other people finding that the colour coding has changed on the seating plans?  I was just looking at Fille and what would normally be the colour for the cheap side amphi seats is being used for a different price band.  My poor brain sees the colour and goes "Ooh, cheap seats!", and then I have to disillusion it :)

Thought I'd piggyback on this thread: is it just me, or are other people finding that the colour coding has changed on the seating plans?  I was just looking at Fille and what would normally be the colour for the cheap side amphi seats is being used for a different price band.  My poor brain sees the colour and goes "Ooh, cheap seats!", and then I have to disillusion it :)

I think that's part of the plan....

There are also two price bands that look almost the same colour blue on my screen. 

• 6 months later...

Funny, various sites now seem not to be working for me, but this one is all right - for once :(  Will try switching computer off and on again and see if that clear anything - doing the same to the broadband had no effect.

• 11 months later...

Top tip (assuming you are a Friend and therefore have the right to buy dress rehearsal tickets to begin with): always check the website at or just after 10am on the day before the rehearsal. It is usually the case that any previously withheld seats not used by company members are released for sale to Friends then.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daisydance said:

Does anyone know if there are tickets left for rehearsal on April 14th? I can't get the website to load properly and it's not showing the remaining spring season dates, alas.

There are 100+ Amphitheatre tickets at £4.00; all other tickets have gone though some returns/unused tickets may come through nearer the time.  I'd try well before 10:00 - Macbeth rehearsal returns were available at 7:00 am on the day (may have been the day before) and were very soon snapped up. 

I'm finding it easier to use the calendar and then click on the performance/activity that is of interest.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

There are 100+ Amphitheatre tickets at £4.00; all other tickets have gone though some returns/unused tickets may come through nearer the time.  I'd try well before 10:00 - Macbeth rehearsal returns were available at 7:00 am on the day (may have been the day before) and were very soon snapped up. 

I'm finding it easier to use the calendar and then click on the performance/activity that is of interest.

Since ROH "upgraded" their booking system, I have some difficulties to check the availabilities.

Friends rehearsals is one of them.

Go to calendar and click the date you are looking for, i.e. 14 April.

All events on the day come up.

You should still find Slip tickets on 14 April if you are happy with this area.

If you go through "Friends rehearsal" section on what's on top page, you would see sold out icon which is not correct information.

28 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

Worth emailing Friends about this.

Whilst I'm sure Friends will be sympathetic, I think the problem is web design and so suggest emailing the contact/website (which I've done):

http://www.roh.org.uk/contact

It's not just the Rehearsals where for both Lady Macbeth and the Triple Bill Amphitheatre seats are available by clickink on 9 and 14 April but not under Rehearsals.  The Bernstein information is wrong with Laura Morera and Steven McRae shown as dancing on 6 April.  And there have been a number of criticisms from others.

Apologies - I meant also to ask if a number of these posts about the ROH new website might be better as a separare thread?  I got quite confused by penelopesimpson's Ed Watson comment above and then realised the website posts have rather got in the way.

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

Apologies - I meant also to ask if a number of these posts about the ROH new website might be better as a separare thread?  I got quite confused by penelopesimpson's Ed Watson comment above and then realised the website posts have rather got in the way.

I think that is probably a very good idea – I'm having lots of problems with ROH website in the last few days, and have been in touch with various people there trying to explain how pages appear (or don't) on various devices I've tried. In my experience of my own website, you can think you've tested a new version every which way, but when you start to launch it, you need feedback from end users to sort out glitches. I'd not thought of trying by date – good plan.

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

Done.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 2

I realise the new website is a work in progress and have found a few inconsistencies, e.g. for the Infra mixed bill the stalls circle seats alongside the stage are shown within the pricing structure plan for the first performance, but not for subsequent performances.

But I'm really struggling to see the logic in comparative pricing for some Amphitheatre seats which I believe are sold as restricted view. These are:

(1) the clusters on or near aisle end of rows L-M, side blocks.

(2) the clusters on or near outer aisle end of rows A-E, side blocks.

Previously I believe these clusters have usually shared the same price for ballet performances, although the actual price does vary depending on the production.

For Swan Lake evening performances seats in (1) are priced at £17 and those in (2) at £29.

For Nutracker evening performances seats in (1) are priced at £28 and those in (2) are priced at £21.

I realise the policy will be now to set a pricing structure specifically for each production. But it would be good to have some broad consistency in how this is applied in terms of relative pricing for specific seating areas. In the example given above I'm baffled by one area showing as significantly more expensive than the other for one production and then seeing this in reverse for another production.

Edited by Josephine
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Josephine said:

But I'm really struggling to see the logic in comparative pricing for some Amphitheatre seats which I believe are sold as restricted view. These are:

(1) the clusters on or near aisle end of rows L-M, side blocks.

(2) the clusters on or near outer aisle end of rows A-E, side blocks.

Previously I believe these clusters have usually shared the same price for ballet performances, although the actual price does vary depending on the production.

For Swan Lake evening performances seats in (1) are priced at £17 and those in (2) at £29.

For Nutracker evening performances seats in (1) are priced at £28 and those in (2) are priced at £21.

For all other productions in the Autumn season the seats in these two areas share the same price.  There's no logical reason to change this structure for Nutcracker so I imagine that it is extremely likely that the website designers have made a mistake with the price of the restricted view seats in rows L-M.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

I also can't see how you get to a page showing all 3 parts of the Bernstein triple bill from any of the individual production pages any more, let alone find any casting for the 2 new works!  Plus when you click on the 9th April, which apparently has tickets available (presumably at least one at £4 and one at £70, you'd think from the display) no tickets appear to be available anywhere.  Unhelpful.

Holy mother of god, someone please tell me that I've interpreted their prices incorrectly.

The lowest band showing when checking the 18/19 autumn season seems to say 11 for the triple, 16 for Bayadere, 18 for Mayerling and 21 for Nutcracker. Maybe they just forgot to show the cheap tickets? 

Screenshot of Nutcracker pricing map

ETA: just noticed an earlier post along similar lines - hope the assumption that they haven't got the banding prices quite right yet is correct.

Edited by Coated

1 minute ago, Coated said:

Holy mother of god, someone please tell me that I've interpreted their prices incorrectly.

The lowest band showing when checking the 18/19 autumn season seems to say 11 for the triple, 16 for Bayadere, 18 for Mayerling and 21 for Nutcracker. Maybe they just forgot to show the cheap tickets? 

Screenshot of Nutcracker pricing map

It's just a very clumsy bit of design - if you click on the "£21-" (which apparently means "£21 and under") it expands to show lower price bands.

• Like 1

Phew! I couldn't click on anything on that page that worked on my iPad (booking is going to be so much fun....), noticed the dash after "£21 - " and started planning life as a former ballet watcher...

11 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It's the kind of thing that really should have been spotted in user testing - makes me wonder what else will be uncovered.

I do wonder why this has been launched with what appear to be such obvious problems (I haven't looked myself yet - I hope that by the time I next need to book something, some or all of these issues will have been ironed out).

• Like 1