LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE: RB June 2022

8 hours ago, Florine said:

Whether a monarchist or not, it seemed remarkably discourteous of a national ballet company with the Royal Charter, not to play the national anthem at the first night of a brand new production on an historic Platinum Jubilee at the Royal Opera House. 
The Ukrainian national anthem was played before each show, preceded by a brief word by Kevin O’Hare, for around a week.

I do see your point, but I doubt it would have had the same impact as the Ukrainian national anthem. I believe that was especially powerful due to the shock and the sudden nature of the war, and its impact across the dance world in particular. 
They've also organised their "A Very Royal Opera House" tour, so presumably are paying their respects through that.

• Like 1

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DanJL said:

Then further apologies if I also misunderstood Suffolkgal. 

No problem! I mean I’m not keen on Ondine, Prince of the Pagodas, Different Drummer ... I just think Ashton and Macmillan  were both, as said, in another class, so original. I also love Cranko

and Kylian. I’m very excited to see this tomorrow and really so appreciate everyone’s views and comments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I do see your point, but I doubt it would have had the same impact as the Ukrainian national anthem. I believe that was especially powerful due to the shock and the sudden nature of the war, and its impact across the dance world in particular. 
They've also organised their "A Very Royal Opera House" tour, so presumably are paying their respects through that.

I think it would have been nice for the audience to have been able to stand and applaud and show their appreciation to this most remarkable lady.  Aside from everything else, it was she who conferred the Royal Charter onto the company and the school.  A public 'thank you' would have gone down well and been appreciated.  A missed chance by the ROH.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Is the Thursday the main day of this weekend? Maybe they’ll do something tomorrow evening. 

I hope so.  It just would have made sense to do it last night which was the opening of a new ballet and the Jubilee weekend.  Maybe the 20-minute delay scuppered any plans to honour The Queen.  Hmmm....we'll see.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, capybara said:

I haven't seen much online apart from The Telegraph review and this from Alastair Macaulay: https://slippedisc.com/2022/06/alastair-macaulay-new-3-act-ballet-by-a-harmless-composer/

I'll look forward to seeing the links on BCF tomorrow.

Quite a few already culled for links tomorrow but nothing from some of my usual suspects.  I wonder if ROH is very selective about to whom they allocate press tickets?

Don't forget to peruse the links forum - apart from the Royal Ballet there are other companies from around the world reported on.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Quite a few already culled for links tomorrow but nothing from some of my usual suspects.  I wonder if ROH is very selective about to whom they allocate press tickets?

Don't forget to peruse the links forum - apart from the Royal Ballet there are other companies from around the world reported on.

And a huge thank you Jan for all the work you and Ian put into trawling the worldwide dance stories every single day/night, and presenting them in such a readable, coherent way.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I haven't seen much online apart from The Telegraph review and this from Alastair Macaulay: https://slippedisc.com/2022/06/alastair-macaulay-new-3-act-ballet-by-a-harmless-composer/

I'll look forward to seeing the links on BCF tomorrow.

I’m “pleased” to see AM’s negative review … as I usually find I have opposing views to him … so I am now looking forward to loving LWFC !!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Interesting to see that even established companies have hiccups on opening night … 20 minute delay is unusual.  

I don't like going to first nights because of this, one of the reasons I was very pleased to see that the opening nights for Mayerling and the Diamonds bill will be relayed live at the cinemas this autumn!

• Like 1

Thanks to those who have reviewed already and look forward to reading more, particularly with other casts. Interesting that Corrales’s role seems quite large and that casting isn’t announced in advance, wonder who else will be cast. 

From what I’ve read I might try and give it a go but I sense it might not be for me - if it’s similar to Alice in more “telling a story through movement” rather than pure ballet as the foundation of a story then I sense I will be disappointed. This is what Ashton can obviously do well - a story is told but we also get brilliant ballet that stands alone as good choreography in his own right. Ballet it seems moves ever towards more contemporary and generic “dance” which does worry me somewhat…

As an aside I’ll admit I’m not a fan of the photo in some reviews of the scene with O’Sullivan being grabbed at by lots of men in a nude leotard. Perhaps it comes across fine in the ballet and I guess if the story is set in a different time perhaps it also reflects that but something about it feels a little off to me - even if it is portrayed as empowering perhaps, but I know I haven’t seen it so will try to temper any judgement! 

(Interestingly I didn’t have these issues with the Arabian dance in the Nutcracker that they reduced from three men to one, not sure if was due to covid or other factors, I preferred that with the three men as I felt the choreography was more interesting…) 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I believe that Luca Acri/Benjamin Ella will be doing the Juan Alejandrez role next.

Great!

It's not a huge role but the choreography given Juan in Act 2 is exciting and Corrales made the very most of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JNC said:

As an aside I’ll admit I’m not a fan of the photo in some reviews of the scene with O’Sullivan being grabbed at by lots of men in a nude leotard. Perhaps it comes across fine in the ballet and I guess if the story is set in a different time perhaps it also reflects that but something about it feels a little off to me - even if it is portrayed as empowering perhaps, but I know I haven’t seen it so will try to temper any judgement! 

I sense you will not like this part of the ballet, though it is sexualised to the point of silly comedy with people near me giggling at Anna Rose O'Sullivan's departure on the horse. However, three men near me did immediately sit up in their seats when this section began (to the point it was so obvious the reason why I couldn't help but smile). 

Although, she does her best with it (and she's beautiful so one perhaps shouldn't complain too much), this section of the choreography seemed ridiculous to me - although I understand this mostly derives from the source material. 

Frankie ripping her dress off however was cleverly done to demonstrate the passion.

3 hours ago, JNC said:

Interesting that Corrales’s role seems quite large and that casting isn’t announced in advance, wonder who else will be cast

I think his he is only really the centre of attention for about a minute or so but he filled it well. However, the dancing is rather derivative of Corsair, which I assume he did with ENB and is therefore well practiced. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Just had an email telling me my 17:30 is cancelled. I could catch the 18:30 and would be able to claim my fare back as at best I’ll be an hour late getting home compared to what I’d booked but I may see if I can use my ticket for the 16:30. I guess the trains running will be pretty crowded but at least I’ve had plenty of notice.

Hope your journey was uneventful and you have managed to get here. Hope you enjoy

Thank you for all your messages. Have made the journey without any further problems. In heading for the 16:30 train, I’ve swapped late breakfast at Cote for early lunch at La Ballerina, food being very much part of Like Water for Chocolate,.

• Like 5

Years ago I did some waitressing at La Ballerina am amazed it’s still going strong after all this time! 
I suppose some sort of chocolate dessert is the order of the day!! 

• Like 1

So I’m at Like W for C right now seeing the matinee and am loving it (not finding it as compelling as a classical ballet but any chance to see the Royal Ballet Perform is an absolute treat) 

I have a question for forum members - the seat in front on me in the stalls circle is spare - would it be very rude to sit in it for act 2? I asked the usher and he said I’d have to ask the house manager?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angela Essex said:

I have a question for forum members - the seat in front on me in the stalls circle is spare - would it be very rude to sit in it for act 2? I asked the usher and he said I’d have to ask the house manager?

If it's not occupied by the end of the interval, I would say go ahead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Better late than never lol!! 

Actually the ROH missed another trick on Thursday! 
As a sort of first night treat combined with Jubilee …everyone should have got a small ( very small) bar of chocolate with Queens face on!! 
I know …expensive etc etc …just my bit of magical realism or perhaps more magical idealism! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suffolkgal said:

There was! Great to hear it played in the House by the big band! Very impressive and most people stood 

Sounded recorded to me…like the Ukrainian anthem was for the special performance 

The second cast were nothing short of  a revelation for me.

Naghdi/Corrales/Kaneko/Calvert all absolutely superb.

The steps looked far far better and the chemistry between Naghdi/Corrales was intense.

The whole thing was more vivid and emotional. 

And I enjoyed the music much more. 

• Like 15