Unite for Ukraine - six of the UK's top dance school's unite in support of young people in Ukraine

This gala is happening onSunday 15 May. Plenty of tickets available from £15 if you are able to go along and support.

Unite for Ukraine is a project spearheaded by Viviana Durante, Artistic Director of English National Ballet School.

Yuriy Yurchuk, Ukrainian baritone and Principal of the Royal Opera will make a special guest appearance.

Net proceeds raised from the gala will go directly to the Disasters Emergency Committee Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.

Central School of Ballet

Bolero
Choreographer: Sherrill Wexler

Excerpt from Twice Removed
Choreographer: Ashley Page

Elmhurst Ballet School

Four Scottish Dances
Choreographer: Sir David Bintley

Being
Choreographer: Peter Leung

English National Ballet School

Sleeping Beauty Pas de Deux
Choreographer: Sir Kenneth McMillan

Dead Game of Time
Choreographer: Lana Klemen

Excerpt from Grace and Gravity
Choreographer: Andrew McNicol

Northern Ballet School

Sonata
Choreographer: Joanne Pirrie inspired by Sir Robert Cohan

Mantle
Choreographer: Ryan Upton

Rise
Choreographer: Sarah Dickinson, Ryan Upton

Rambert School of Ballet and Contemporary Dance

Being
Choreographer – Darren Ellis

The Royal Ballet School

Swan Lake Pas de Douze
Choreographer: Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov with additional choreography by Frederick Ashton

Franz’s solo from Coppélia Act lll
Choreographer: Ninette De Valois for The Royal Ballet

Fremd
Choreographer: Jack Easton

The Bridesmaid solo from Don Quixote
Choreographer: Marius Petipa

Edited by PeterS
Added details
  • Like 3

I do think a matinee would’ve been better as opposed to a Sunday night - especially for aspiring students of these institutions - who will be from a wide geographic area & potentially having a busy schedule of GCSE’s etc right now! Would love to have gone but just not possible to go to SW 2 nights running…. an option to pay for a livestream or recording would I’m sure be great as more could watch & more money be raised… is this on the cards? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I do think a matinee would’ve been better as opposed to a Sunday night - especially for aspiring students of these institutions - who will be from a wide geographic area & potentially having a busy schedule of GCSE’s etc right now! Would love to have gone but just not possible to go to SW 2 nights running…. an option to pay for a livestream or recording would I’m sure be great as more could watch & more money be raised… is this on the cards? 

Given that they only had one day, it would probably have been impossible to include class and a rehearsal before a matinee. 
But I agree that an earlier time would have been preferable, especially in view of the transport difficulties involved in reaching SW at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

especially in view of the transport difficulties involved in reaching SW at the moment

attendance at an event such as this ought to be supported not discouraged which is why i set up this thread.   i know some people may be disadvantaged travelwise, that it might take a little extra thought to get to Sadlers Wells or at worst may not be able to attend. however even though Angel station is closed there are still a plethora of ways to get to Sadlers Wells/Angel by bus/on foot from any direction or the nearest open tube station.  Sadlers Wells was packed last night so, where there is a will there is a way.

Edited by PeterS
clarification
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, PeterS said:

attendance at an event such as this ought to be supported not discouraged which is why i set up this thread.   i know some people may be disadvantaged travelwise, that it might take a little extra thought to get to Sadlers Wells or at worst may not be able to attend. however even though Angel station is closed there are still a plethora of ways to get to Sadlers Wells/Angel by bus/on foot from any direction or the nearest open tube station.  Sadlers Wells was packed last night so, where there is a will there is a way.

I was simply saying that an earlier time might have been more attractive and I agree that, if there's a will, there's a way.

I have been encouraging people to go, both on here (please see up thread and on the other thread which Jan started) and personally.

• Like 3

I've got no trains today, and considering the problems I had yesterday attempting to get to Sandler's wells yesterday when I did have trains I don't think I fancy risking it again :(. I could always make another donation to Dec and gift aid it instead, I suppose.

What a wonderful idea to bring together these 6 schools for that first time in support of Ukraine. A really superb evening. Lovely to see so much talent up there on stage and also to hear the very moving and articulate speeches from 2 Ukrainian students who are now able to continue their studies safely at ENB. 
I am sure that the students felt very proud to represent their schools and what a fabulous opportunity for them to perform at Sadlers Wells after so much time away from the stage throughout covid. Bravo to all involved! 

• Like 9

Yes indeed. In addition to supporting such a worthy cause, this event provided the student dancers with the privilege and experience of dancing on the Sadler's Wells stage. That's quite something!

Wonderful that ENBS is supporting two Ukrainian students.

[But, oh, how I wish that the auditorium had been full to capacity!]

• Like 2