Looking for A Biography of Princess Caroline Mahtilde

Anjuli_Bai

Does anyone know of a good biography of Princess Caroline Mathilde - King George III's sister - she went on to marry Danish King Christian VII.

There is a movie "A Royal Affair" recently out on her affair with the court physician. The movie was here very briefly and I missed it. However, the movie is based on a novel (historical fiction) and I'd like to read a non-fiction book of her life.

I've searched through several data bases - but it's difficult to tell which are fiction/non-fiction as there are a number of books - with no reviews.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am at present reading an excellent biography on Thadeus Stevens (after seeing the move "Lincoln.") His biting wit reminds me of Churchill.

There is of course the 1991 ballet 'Caroline Mathilde' made for the Royal Danish Ballet by Flemming Flindt, music by Peter Maxwell Davies. There are a couple of reviews on some 2007 performances of this in the Ballet.co archives by Jane and Janet. Amazon lists the film you mention, Anjuli, as there is also a DVD, but possibly only in European format.

I assume the novel you mention is 'The Visit Of The Royal Physician' by Enquist and Nunnally, also on Amazon. There is also a book by Stella Tillyard - 'A Royal Affair: George III And His Troublesome Siblings'. This is said to be a very readable book, but having read it before seeing the ballet I found it a useful and informative account of George III's siblings, with the greater part devoted to Caroline Mathilde.

Other books mentioned on Amazon include:

Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III by Flora Fraser

and a book in German - Die Verschworung Gegen Die Konigin Caroline Mathilde von Danemark

• Like 1