Malvern Summer School 2022

Balletbuds80

Hi. Just wondered if anyone has booked or is booking for week 1 for Malvern Ballet Seminars?
It will be my DD’s first residential and she is going not knowing anyone which apparently she is totally fine with. Me not so much.

Any tips on what to take for a residential would be greatly received too. 

Edited by Balletbuds80
  • Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Malvern Summer School 2022

How lovely,  she'll have a wonderful time.  ( and yes,  it is hard to leave them when they and you know no-one! )

Usually you get a list of required dance wear etc to take,  and DD always took some joggers and tops as well as some jeans/'casual' clothes.  

We found that taking some biscuits or something to share when arriving/ first night helped everyone to get together. DD often took some face masks/pamper stuff as the girls in the dorm sometimes did a pamper evening. Usually though lots of activities were arranged. ( DD hasn't done this one though! ) 

Maybe a book to read/notepad, the boys always seemed to have a ball to kick around! 

DD is permanently hungry,  so she'd always pack a substantial amount of snacks! Even though there is usually plenty of food and snacks available! 

55 minutes ago, Pixiewoo said:

How lovely,  she'll have a wonderful time.  ( and yes,  it is hard to leave them when they and you know no-one! )

Usually you get a list of required dance wear etc to take,  and DD always took some joggers and tops as well as some jeans/'casual' clothes.  

We found that taking some biscuits or something to share when arriving/ first night helped everyone to get together. DD often took some face masks/pamper stuff as the girls in the dorm sometimes did a pamper evening. Usually though lots of activities were arranged. ( DD hasn't done this one though! ) 

Maybe a book to read/notepad, the boys always seemed to have a ball to kick around! 

DD is permanently hungry,  so she'd always pack a substantial amount of snacks! Even though there is usually plenty of food and snacks available! 

Hi

Thank you for response. This is actually very helpful. Do will start to make a list. I like to be organised.

I am sure she’ll be ok. She isn't worried but it might be a different story when she gets there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Hi

Thank you for response. This is actually very helpful. Do will start to make a list. I like to be organised.

I am sure she’ll be ok. She isn't worried but it might be a different story when she gets there.

My dd did the spring intensive and it was lovely! All the teachers are so nurturing - she had a fabulous time x you'll get a list of things to take...a few ballet Leo's (black one for the performance) and we took swimming stuff but not sure if the venue is the same? They're busy pretty much all day so don't really need much (I packed a book and some games but they didn't have time) x 

2 hours ago, Raquelle said:

My dd did the spring intensive and it was lovely! All the teachers are so nurturing - she had a fabulous time x you'll get a list of things to take...a few ballet Leo's (black one for the performance) and we took swimming stuff but not sure if the venue is the same? They're busy pretty much all day so don't really need much (I packed a book and some games but they didn't have time) x 

Hi Raquelle. This is one of the reasons we have chosen Malvern. Good recommendations for their pastoral care. Especially as my DD only 10. 
I believe its a different cenue but there is a pool and she got very excited at the mention there might be one. 
Thanks for replying 

My DD was 10 and did Malvern last summer for her first residential. I think Covid impacted what they were able to do in the evenings possibly (they weren’t allowed to go swimming for example) so she was at a bit of a loose end sometimes - if I’d thought, I’d have packed some games or something for her to do! Snacks were helpful as well. Then it was dance clothes, regular clothes, toiletries, towel and plasters for sore toes after all the dancing! She’s going to Moorland summer school this year and we’ve had a list of what to bring already so hopefully you’ll hear from MBS soon. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MamaFrosty said:

My DD was 10 and did Malvern last summer for her first residential. I think Covid impacted what they were able to do in the evenings possibly (they weren’t allowed to go swimming for example) so she was at a bit of a loose end sometimes - if I’d thought, I’d have packed some games or something for her to do! Snacks were helpful as well. Then it was dance clothes, regular clothes, toiletries, towel and plasters for sore toes after all the dancing! She’s going to Moorland summer school this year and we’ve had a list of what to bring already so hopefully you’ll hear from MBS soon. 

Thank you i will bear this in mind for things to do on an evening. And i will definitely be sending snacks as she is a fussy eater 😂

Malvern is a lovely residential. My dd is older but went for the first time last summer. They definitely swam her week (wk 1) but she says only a couple of times and many kids stayed at the boarding house. My dd said she packed too many "normal" clothes. Loads wore ballet skirts and there were some for sale there. She said definitely bring snacks and also warm- up clothes to wear so not wandering around Uppingham in a leotard (last year the accommodation was 5 minute walk across the town from the studios).  Your dd will love it I'm sure 😊

3 hours ago, OnlyDance said:

Malvern is a lovely residential. My dd is older but went for the first time last summer. They definitely swam her week (wk 1) but she says only a couple of times and many kids stayed at the boarding house. My dd said she packed too many "normal" clothes. Loads wore ballet skirts and there were some for sale there. She said definitely bring snacks and also warm- up clothes to wear so not wandering around Uppingham in a leotard (last year the accommodation was 5 minute walk across the town from the studios).  Your dd will love it I'm sure 😊

Thank you 😊 

On 11/05/2022 at 21:19, Balletbuds80 said:

Hi. Just wondered if anyone has booked or is booking for week 1 for Malvern Ballet Seminars?
It will be my DD’s first residential and she is going not knowing anyone which apparently she is totally fine with. Me not so much.

Any tips on what to take for a residential would be greatly received too. 

My DD is going to week one she’s 12 she doesn’t know anyone either who’s definitely going, feel free to pm me.  This is my DD first intensive too but shes a full time vocational year 7 student so is use to being away from home. 

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if anyone has past experience of travelling to Uppingham from Birmingham International Airport? It seems to be quite complicated and there is a rail replacement bus to Nuneaton at the end of week one. I have no experience of this and wondered if the replacement buses run to the same time scale. Just worried about making the onward connections in time to get to the school for the parents’ showing. 

Also are there any suggestions of places to stay with easy public transport links, the night before if an early flight is not doable?

The nearest railway station seems to be Oakham and then a taxi.  It may be worth contacting the Malvern Seminars to see if they are organising any transport from Oakham to the school, eg minibus.

On a normal day on the trains you would just have to change at Birmingham New Street and it seems to be an hourly direct service to Oakham.

Rail replacement bus services tend to take longer than the train would have done.  They do usually have lots of people around to direct you but it is not ideal.

In respect of accommodation this page is from Booking.com:

https://www.booking.com/city/gb/uppingham-aireborough.html?aid=303948;label=uppingham-aireborough-9gb92R7CpgR0mJSAF8H3RwS544246986392:pl:ta:p15:p2:ac:ap:neg:fi:tikwd-6907003851:lp9046560:li:dec:dm:ppccp=UmFuZG9tSVYkc2RlIyh9Yf5EcukO1MOGLSSAuId8ToA;ws=&gclid=CjwKCAjwwdWVBhA4EiwAjcYJEGcMdw5MECw_gM_854bDADzE3ls6CMaR4LkqtybyxVkIosoN1TR4XRoCyL8QAvD_BwE

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Justkeepsmiling said:

We have received a Welcome pack with details of what to bring. Check your junk mail folder just in case it has gone there. If not, send them an email- they’re very quick to reply.

Got it now 

Thank you for the help!

• Like 1