My Instagram Account has been hacked

Jan McNulty

I would have put this in the Room 101 thread but I know at least one forum member follows me on Instagram.

Yesterday I was contacted by a chum by IG DM.  Needless to say by the time I saw her warning on Facebook my account had been hacked and the hackers have changed my username, email and phone number and have been sending my followers DMs (the same one I got from my chum).

I cannot secure my account they have done such a good job of stealing it.

If anyone follows @janetmcn please unfollow that account (it now has underscores at the end of the username) as soon as possible.

It is a total nightmare.

I had one saying 'please can you assist me with something real quick.'   And now your story is saying how you have invested in bitcoing, blah blah.  Why are these people never caught??

So sorry Jan...I hope you sort it out soon.  

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I hope you manage to get it sorted out @Jan McNulty. If you do then you'll be more fortunate than I was. Instagram kicked me off 2 months ago, I have no idea why, and never replied when I emailed them, so I now don't have Instagram access.

Oh that's awful Dawnstar.  I didn't get ANY help from IG at all and the instructions to recover the account didn't work.  I have been able to set up a new account because I used a different email address.

These things are so annoying 😡

I recently had a strange text saying hi mum it’s me this is now my new phone number!! 
when I didn’t respond I got another message saying mum can you contact me urgently I need help with something. 
Honestly I don’t have children so thought it odd …..but very nearly thought oh dear somebody has sent this message to the wrong phone number and nearly rang the number to tell them before my scam sense kicked in!! 
You still wonder whoever it was how did they get your mobile phone number. 

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Oh that's awful Dawnstar.  I didn't get ANY help from IG at all and the instructions to recover the account didn't work.  I have been able to set up a new account because I used a different email address.

I tried to create a new account. After a few days I abruptly got kicked out of that due to "unusual account activity". As I'd only just created it I don't know how they decided what was unusual as there wasn't any usual to compare with! After that I gave up, as I only have 2 email addresses. It's extremely annoying, as so few dancers use Twitter.