Royal Opera House summer period booking

@alison I really feel your pain!

I emailed in to return a ticket for a gift voucher a month or so ago. I clearly put the order number, date and time of the ticket and the seat number.

of course instead of returning for resale my amphitheatre ticket for an evening performance, they returned for sale my stalls circle standing ticket for the matinee performance! I am always paranoid about this happening as there are usually multiple tickets attached to an order number, and that’s why I was so careful to put the time of the ticket in both the subject and the main email. 

Once I had realised (given the automated email noting the credit amount) it was too late and my stalls circle standing ticket had been resold. I got apologies but nothing they could do. They at least refunded me (no credit note minus £4) for the actual ticket I wanted to return but I missed out on a performance I wanted to see (swan lake so other tickets sold out) for an excellent price. Oh and a full refund (not credit note) for the ticket I didn’t want to return…

Also, it’s a good thing I checked the credit note email properly as they listed all the other tickets I had on there so it was only after proper scrutiny I realised the mistake. I had already been sent the e ticket so imagine if I hadn’t checked properly, and actually went to attend the performance - what would they have done with two of us with e-tickets for the same spot I wonder? 

human error does sometimes happen but in this case some compensation would have been appropriate. It’s also made me a bit paranoid about returning tickets and not sure if in future I need to try and break up ticket purchases in order to have different order numbers to avoid this happening in future (which seems a bit over the top but I was really annoyed!). 

4 minutes ago, JNC said:

Also, it’s a good thing I checked the credit note email properly as they listed all the other tickets I had on there so it was only after proper scrutiny I realised the mistake. I had already been sent the e ticket so imagine if I hadn’t checked properly, and actually went to attend the performance - what would they have done with two of us with e-tickets for the same spot I wonder? 

What rotten luck

I have been a witness to two people turning up for the same seat in similar circumstances. Having been shown correspondence on the first owner's phone, they re-seated him - but in not such a good position as the one he had originally.

1 hour ago, capybara said:

What rotten luck

I have been a witness to two people turning up for the same seat in similar circumstances. Having been shown correspondence on the first owner's phone, they re-seated him - but in not such a good position as the one he had originally.

ah so they reseated then person who’s ticket had been mistakenly resold? 

that is bad luck and feels unfair when the mistake is on the part of ROH not the returner. I wonder what they would do if the performance was completely sold out. I suppose it’s likely that someone will not turn up on the day but still…

I guess they checked the order date on the e-ticket (if it shows that), or who received the email most recently?  

they really should have an automated returns process, human error is clearly always going to happen and cause these situations. If we can buy tickets online why not return them. (Well given the state of the website it did actually take a while to just buy smoothly so I’ll wait a few years for additional functions…) 

2 hours ago, JNC said:

@alison I really feel your pain!

I emailed in to return a ticket for a gift voucher a month or so ago. I clearly put the order number, date and time of the ticket and the seat number.

of course instead of returning for resale my amphitheatre ticket for an evening performance, they returned for sale my stalls circle standing ticket for the matinee performance! I am always paranoid about this happening as there are usually multiple tickets attached to an order number, and that’s why I was so careful to put the time of the ticket in both the subject and the main email. 

Once I had realised (given the automated email noting the credit amount) it was too late and my stalls circle standing ticket had been resold. I got apologies but nothing they could do. They at least refunded me (no credit note minus £4) for the actual ticket I wanted to return but I missed out on a performance I wanted to see (swan lake so other tickets sold out) for an excellent price. Oh and a full refund (not credit note) for the ticket I didn’t want to return…

human error does sometimes happen but in this case some compensation would have been appropriate. It’s also made me a bit paranoid about returning tickets and not sure if in future I need to try and break up ticket purchases in order to have different order numbers to avoid this happening in future (which seems a bit over the top but I was really annoyed!). 

Yes, I recognise the symptoms: I had something similar a few years ago - two separate tickets, separate booking references, for the same performance.  I returned my one, but not the other, which someone else was going to use.  Both were put back on sale, and sold, thus putting the other person in a very difficult position.

On 13/05/2022 at 23:15, JNC said:

they really should have an automated returns process, human error is clearly always going to happen and cause these situations. If we can buy tickets online why not return them. (Well given the state of the website it did actually take a while to just buy smoothly so I’ll wait a few years for additional functions…) 

Royal Danish Ballet (RDB) has automated exchange process, but for exchange only.

Go to your upcoming event page, pick your puchased ticket and click return.

Then you need to choose the seat you desire which has to be the same or higher price range.

Admin fee (15DK, less than £2) is payable.

Super simple.

When you enter the theatre, your ticket will be checked by a reading gadget, not human eyes.

This works well only if your desired seat is available and the ticket price is the same or higher.

• Like 3

On 10/05/2022 at 13:05, alison said:

Minor disaster averted: I backed out of my shopping basket to check the castings for Like Water for Chocolate and work out which ones I still needed to buy, only to find I was suddenly in the queue (where I hadn't been that morning at all), and allegedly would have to wait until after my booking had expired before I got back in!!  Fortunately the queue went down rather faster than the system was expecting, so I did manage to retrieve my tickets before they'd gone, but it was a bit of a worry anyway.

I had something similar again this evening: went into Like Water For Chocolate to try and find some replacement tickets for the one the system lost me the other day, and found the old system in place again, with the "walking" queue.  Looked for tickets to no avail, backed out to check the casting again, and found myself pushed back out and into the new "sofa" queue.  I suppose I should be glad I didn't have any seats for the system to lose again, but it's not very good.

• Like 4

Guest oncnp
11 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Can anyone remember how long the RBS performance usually runs to? I seem to remember it being no more than about 2 hours total, but as it's been three years since the last one I don't trust that recollection.

Three hours per the below....

Guest oncnp
12 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Crikey - much longer than I remember, though I wonder if last year was exceptional.

I might drop a line to the box office.

Look like 2019 might have been about the same....