Royal Opera House summer period booking

Well, have to give credit where credit is due - especially after such nightmare scenarios in the past - thought the RB Friends SUMMER booking went gloriously smoothly - for which I was most grateful.  Got everything I wanted.  Thanks ROH.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Yes, I agree, Bruce. However, I couldn't get what I really wanted (SCS for the Sat 4th matinee) so will still have to try the public booking.  But  previous glitches with the website were happily missing this morning.

• Like 1

As a Friend+ I hoped for more choice for the opening night the new Wheeldon but not so.  Circle all gone, and very little choice in stalls and SC so back to the Amphi it is.  Not sure about how much left for General sales but looks like on opening night not much.

• 2 weeks later...

Just used the new system for the first time under general release day conditions and all went well, I wouldn't want to use it on a phone...offering 2000+ seats on one page is a little ambitious for that but on my desktop it was fine....I'm sure the idea of listing all your credit notes without having to type in the codes is a new and welcome addition, as is highlighting the seat(s) you have already booked if you find yourself browsing a performance you are already going to

• Like 6

New system in place today.

Minor disaster averted: I backed out of my shopping basket to check the castings for Like Water for Chocolate and work out which ones I still needed to buy, only to find I was suddenly in the queue (where I hadn't been that morning at all), and allegedly would have to wait until after my booking had expired before I got back in!!  Fortunately the queue went down rather faster than the system was expecting, so I did manage to retrieve my tickets before they'd gone, but it was a bit of a worry anyway.

I'm not sure whether the booking time is now down below half an hour - I would have thought so, from what I saw.  If so, that is not good at all.  Fortunately there wasn't much left to book this period.

I’ve just been on to the box office as the RBS performance is sold out ( as I expected it might be) but on the website it looks like you can still buy tickets ….well you can’t 😥
Will have to look out for returns for this. But did manage to book the new ballet successfully. 
The only thing is with this new system …now available on iPhone level…is that if you go into would you like to book a seat using our seat map option you can look at a seat but can’t pay for it from there as there are no prices and it pops up only seats paid for can be reserved ( or similar) but then there’s nowhere to pay for seat anyway!!! 
When I didn’t choose that option but went into a couple of particular areas then it came up with the prices and an option to pay for the seats showing as available etc etc. but it still showed the view from the seat …..so am not sure what that option to use their seating plan is about 🤔

Anyway hopefully the ROH website will soon show the RBS performance as sold out to stop wasting peoples time. 

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’ve just been on to the box office as the RBS performance is sold out ( as I expected it might be) but on the website it looks like you can still buy tickets ….well you can’t 😥
Will have to look out for returns for this. But did manage to book the new ballet successfully. 
The only thing is with this new system …now available on iPhone level…is that if you go into would you like to book a seat using our seat map option you can look at a seat but can’t pay for it from there as there are no prices and it pops up only seats paid for can be reserved ( or similar) but then there’s nowhere to pay for seat anyway!!! 
When I didn’t choose that option but went into a couple of particular areas then it came up with the prices and an option to pay for the seats showing as available etc etc. but it still showed the view from the seat …..so am not sure what that option to use their seating plan is about 🤔

Anyway hopefully the ROH website will soon show the RBS performance as sold out to stop wasting peoples time. 

I ad forgotten about public booking but but as I had booked for Like Water... some time ago as Friend+ it didn't really matter. Just went to check regarding the RBS performance and the new system allows you to proceed to booking but there appear to be no seats available looking at the seat map and when choosing the option for them to chose what is available, nothing is. 

Not quite sure how much testing this system has had given what happened earlier in the year !

22 hours ago, LinMM said:

Well I see the ROH website is still showing “buy tickets” for the RBS show 🙄

Could these be seats currently set aside for students families or other ‘special’ cases for which a code is needed to access the seats, but which are not onsale to everyone? Or could they currently be being held in another’s basket? I’ve experienced both scenarios in the past. 

I don’t think so Peter this time 😊Thats because two weeks ago a friend of mine who is a Friend of RBS so gets priority booking asked me if he could try and get me a seat as the last time he had looked there were plenty available he thought …especially in Amphi.   However when he went in to try and book me a seat there were only about three seats left back then!! Obviously family and friends of students quite rightly get very first pick and then Friends of RBS 

Usually by public booking it’s pretty much sold out so if the Box office did hold some back for the 10th they must have then all gone on that first day of booking ( I was away then so wasn’t possible to book myself that day) 

I had a reply this morning from an email I sent to ROH yesterday ( so not a bad response time!) and they said they would be in touch with the IT Department asap so will be interesting to see what happens now! 
Returns do come in from time to time anyway with all sold out performances but at the moment nothing doing! 
No doubt I will be begging on the Forum in a few weeks time if no luck!! 

Yes my friend could offer very side on Slips at £10 but I didn’t want to sit so high up and then still not be able to see the stage properly! 
Id be happy to stand in Stalls Circle or even pay top whack which incredibly is only £55 for this show brilliant value for money to see RBS students. 

OH ^$"£$%$"£^"£$^!!!!

Missed this in my overcrowded inbox earlier:

Important Update About Your Booking

Dear ,

From our records we can see that you attempted to book tickets with us on Tuesday morning as tickets opened for sale for our Summer Season.

Unfortunately, a technical error meant that some orders were inadvertently cancelled minutes after the order was attempted, and monies returned. 

This error has been fixed, but we can see that one of your orders was cancelled and you may not have realised. For example, a confirmation screen with your order number may have been displayed, but a confirmation email was never received. 

To check your tickets please log in to your Royal Opera House account and check your tickets which are listed under 'events'. If you are missing any tickets please rebook online. We apologise for this inconvenience.

We know that some have spotted this error at the time and rebooked the same or slightly different tickets or contacted us to let us know about the error. Thank you, we are grateful for your patience. If you have already been in contact and haven't rebooked, please rebook online.

If we can be of further assistance please email us at boxoffice@roh.org.uk.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience and thank you for your continued support.

Yes, I realise now that although the booking appeared to go through and I got the confirmation screen I never got a confirmation email.

"Please rebook online".  Rebook what?  I got in really early and had a great selection of tickets, including standing ones, but of course they're no longer available 48 hours on :(  I'm now going to have to spend the next few weeks refreshing and refreshing the website to see if any standing tickets reappear.  Very poor.

"£$%"$£^"$^!!!

It’s beyond shoddy.... I feel your pain Alison & it’s just unacceptable for them to expect you (& no doubt 100’s of others) to just have to start all over again. The ROH website & booking system is a joke. And they need to actually appreciate that an email apology is not enough as it does not redress the error at all.

Am fuming with you! 

And regretting the ROH gift card I got for my birthday as would rather go to other dance at other places (SW, Coliseum, the Nureyev gala, outside of London) as always always get immensely frustrated booking at the ROH!

When giving gift cards specifically aimed at theatre tickets to people who I know go to ROH a lot I usually give those more general ones which cover many theatres including the ROH. 
I suppose the ROH gift vouchers do allow you to spend in their shop as well and there are some lovely books and DVD’s around at the moment which are expensive so probably wouldn’t buy for yourself without a little help from a gift voucher!! 

Honestly Alison I would be absolutely furious too especially as applies to more than one ticket. 
They must know that people are unlikely to be able to buy the same seats/tickets again a few days later. 
I feel some sort of compensation is in order for such instances. 
I have to admit I’m still too chicken to buy more than one ticket at a time when booking at ROH which is more time consuming but …touch wood…things usually have gone smoothly! 

Guest oncnp
8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I suppose the ROH gift vouchers do allow you to spend in their shop as well and there are some lovely books and DVD’s around at the moment which are expensive so probably wouldn’t buy for yourself without a little help from a gift voucher!! 

Too bad the "credit vouchers" issued for return tickets don't work, at least on the website. 

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Too bad the "credit vouchers" issued for return tickets don't work, at least on the website. 

They have worked for me so far - is this a general problem now?

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, bridiem said:

They have worked for me so far - is this a general problem now?

Sorry - may not have been clear - was referring to using the credits in the shop. Have you been successful?

Edited by oncnp

Just now, oncnp said:

In the shop? 

Oh I see - I thought you meant for tickets. I haven't tried them in the shop (in fact it had never occurred to me that they could be used there).

I’m not sure I understand oncnp 🤔

Do you mean you have had a gift voucher …spent it on tickets…and then not been able to go on the night so were issued with a credit …which you now can only spend on tickets?? 
I’ve given someone an ROH gift voucher very recently but must admit didn’t read the terms and conditions etc. etc. 

I was only frustrated that when I went to buy it in the shop you can only do it online!! I had wanted to put the voucher in a birthday card and of course couldn’t do that. 
The staff were very helpful though as they were on “stand by” in case I messed up the voucher sending on my phone online!! 

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m not sure I understand oncnp 🤔

Do you mean you have had a gift voucher …spent it on tickets…and then not been able to go on the night so were issued with a credit …which you now can only spend on tickets?? 
I’ve given someone an ROH gift voucher very recently but must admit didn’t read the terms and conditions etc. etc. 

I was only frustrated that when I went to buy it in the shop you can only do it online!! I had wanted to put the voucher in a birthday card and of course couldn’t do that. 
The staff were very helpful though as they were on “stand by” in case I messed up the voucher sending on my phone online!! 

Sorry - wasn't clear (seems to be my theme).  I haven't been able to use returned ticket "credit vouchers" (I think "gift vouchers" are different) in the shop.  Perhaps because the shop is a business, and the tickets are part of a charity and never the twain shall meet. 

Edited by oncnp