Dance Links w/b Sunday Feb 19, 2012

Links – Sunday February 19, 2012

Review – Joffrey Ballet, McGregor, Forsythe, Wheeldon: Sid Smith, Chicago Tribune

Review - Black Choreographers Festival: Here and Now 2012, San Francisco: Rita Felciano, San Francisco Bay Guardian

Review – San Francisco Ballet, McGregor, Morris, Wheeldon bill: Sean Martinfield, Examiner

Review – Kansas City Ballet, Romeo and Juliet: Libby Hansen, Kansas City Star

Review - Rambert Dance Company, Seven for a secret tour, Aberdeen: 4 stars, Kelly Apter, Scotsman

Review – English National Ballet, Strictly Gershwin, Bristol: Alison Sanders, South Wales Argus

Preview - Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui’s, TeZukA, Hong Kong: Lyndsey Winship, Time Out Hong Kong

David McAllister and Australian Ballet’s 50th Anniversary season: Amanda Dunn, The Age

Preview - Lemi Ponifasio’s Birds With Skymirrors, Wellington: New Zealand Herald

Zachary Catazaro and Taylor Stanley, NYCB’s new Romeos: Gia Kourlas, New York Time Out

A new kind of Irish, Two Step Productions: Carrie Seidman, Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Tenth Annual Chicago International Salsa Congress: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Links – Monday February 20, 2012

Review – NYCB, Agon/Fancy Free/Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Review - Print Room & AP Productions, Jealousy, London: Bruce Marriott, DanceTabs

Review – San Francisco Ballet, Morris/McGregor/Wheeldon: Rita Felciano, Danceviewtimes

Review – San Francisco Ballet, Possokhov/Tomasson/Ratmansky: Rita Felciano, Danceviewtimes

Review - Northern Ballet, Perpetual Motion mixed bill, Leeds: Bruce Marriott, DanceTabs

Review - Jawole Willa Jo Zollar, Black Jam: Claudia La Rocco, New York Times

Review – Singin’ In The Rain, London: Graham Watts, londondance.com

Preview – Sarasota Ballet, all-Ashton programme: Carrie Seidman, Arts Sarasota

Alabama Ballet’s Swan Lake, 3 dancers talk: Michael Huebner, Alabama Live

Review – Complexions Contemporary Ballet: Rebecca Ritzel, Washington Post

What’s On in the NY dance world: New Yorker

7 resign from Charleston Ballet Theatre board: Adam Parker, The Post and Courier

Links – Tuesday February 21, 2012

Wayne Eagling to leave English National Ballet: The Arts Desk, The Independent

Review – Rafael Amargo, Poet in New York, Sadler’s Wells: 2 stars, Zoe Anderson, The Independent

Review - La Shica, Supercop, Sadler's Wells: 4 stars, Zoe Anderson, The Independent

Review – Dance Theatre of Harlem II, mixed bill, NY: Carol Pardo, Danceviewtimes

Review – Marya Wethers, (w)hole again, NY: Claudia La Rocco, New York Times

Review – Les Ballets de Monte Carlo, mixed bill, NY: Margaret Fuhrer, Huffington Post

English National Ballet, 2012 Season: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk

A dance critic talks! RAD Dance Gazette

Anna Pavlova - The Swan who danced herself to death: Rupert Christiansen, The Telegraph

British culture may be our new great industry: Melvyn Bragg, The Telegraph

Preview - Bianca Li, Electro Kif, London: Donald Hutera, Londondance

Preview - BalletBoyz strutting their stuff (in Sussex): Andrew Clarke, CoastalScene

RB dancers go groovy at Stella McCartney’s London Fashion Week party: The Telegraph

Links – Wednesday February 22, 2012

Review - San Francisco Ballet, two programmes: Geri Jeter, California Literary Review

Review - American Ballet Theatre, La Bayadère: Graham Watts, Dancing Times

Review - Dutch National Ballet, Present/s 1 & 2: 4 & 5 stars, Laura Cappelle, Financial Times

Trouble at ENB, Wayne Eagling departs: The Guardian, Telegraph, The Australian

Monica Mason: 54 years with the Royal Ballet, video about the ROH exhibition: BBC News

Review - Jen Rosenblit, Vanessa Anspaugh, In Mouth / Armed Guard Garden: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Review - Levydance, Romp: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Review - Pedro Jiménez, Young Jean Lee, Ann Liv Young, Platform 2012: Paralells, NY: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

Review - Russian State Ballet of Siberia, La Fille mal gardée, Wolverhampton: Alison Norton, Express & Star

American Dance Festival award for William Forsythe: Durham News

Mark Ronson to score Royal Ballet work: BBC News

Interview - Carlos Fittante, multilingual dancer: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Interview - Sarah Michelson, choreographer: Gia Kourlas, Time Out New York

Thanks for this very interesting selection of reviews today, how lucky Wolverhampton is to see La Fille Mal Gardee from the Siberian Ballet for a change,

also good to read of Vadim Muntagirov's success in La Baydere in new York, but I hope he doesn't get to like ABT too much, another loss would be too much right now, it did say we'll have to share him with New York though :)

Thanks for this very interesting selection of reviews today, how lucky Wolverhampton is to see La Fille Mal Gardee from the Siberian Ballet for a change,

Mm, it makes a change from the more obvious ballets, doesn't it. That reminds me - I was going to write a review, so thanks for the reminder.

Interesting though that the reviewer of the RSBS's 'Fille' - Alison Norton - apparently knew so little about ballet that she had no idea that she what she was seeing was NOT one of the most familiar and most loved ballets in Britian, and one known by heart by nearly every British ballet lover - nor did two of the three people who commented on the review!

It has to be said, Ann, it wasn't made terribly clear in the publicity: there was a reference to the clog dance, the flute dance and something or other else. And there *was* a clog dance - just not *the* clog dance. Add to that the fact that there's a picture of the girls in a reaping pose not dissimilar to one in the Ashton, and that they were wearing similar costumes - which I didn't recognise from the performance - and I don't think it was that clear that it wasn't the Ashton version.

Links – Thursday February 23, 2012

Review - San Francisco Ballet, two programmes discussed: Paul Parish, Bay Area Reporter

Review - San Francisco Ballet, Possokhov/Ratmansky/Tomasson: Janos Gereben, San Francisco Examiner

Review - Birmingham Royal Ballet, Hobson’s Choice, Birmingham: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk

Birmingham Royal Ballet, 2012-13 Season: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk

Review - Houston Ballet, Cinderella: Nancy Wozny, culturemap Houston

Review - Pat Catterson, To Lie in the Sky, NY: Deborah Jowitt, Arts Journal

Review - Lucinda Childs, Perth: Deborah Jones, The Australian

Akram Khan, “My mind has been dancing”: Sarah Crompton, Telegraph

Interview - Martin Lawrance, choreographer: Carmel Smith, Londondance

Preview - Grupo Corpo, New Zealand: Tom Fitzsimons, Dominion Post

The next twist in l’affaire Polunin: The Arts Desk

Interview - Madame Galina: David Owens, WalesOnline

Ballet gets a mention in the Daily Star!: Daily Star

This has inspired me to dig out a DVD I have of the Basler Ballet 's version which uses music by Hertel with just a little of the familiar Herold score, arranged by John Lanchbery, and choreographed by Heinz Spoerli. The history of this ballet and the music is very complicated, but going by the informative booklet I presume the Siberian Ballet uses the Hertel score and is based on the Petipa/Ivanov production, sounds interesting.

Links – Friday February 24, 2012

Review - Ballet Arizona, Play, NY:

3 stars, Apollinaire Scherr,
Financial Times

Brian Seibert,
New York Times

Leigh Witchel,
New York Post

Review - Birmingham Royal Ballet, Hobson’s Choice, Birmingham:

Pat Ashworth,
The Stage

5 stars, David Hart,
Birmingham Post

Phil Preece,
Lichfield Live

Review - Houston Ballet, Cinderella: Molly Glentzer, Houston Chronicle

Review - This Sweet Nothing, Was it a Dream I Loved, Oakland: Toba Singer, California Literary Review

Preview - Oregon Ballet Theatre’s new Giselle: Bob Hicks, Oregonian

Interview - Ohad Naharin, Batsheva Dance Company: Mary Ellen Hunt, San Francisco Chronicle

Maya Plisetskaya awarded Legion of Honour: The Voice of Russia

Preview - Flamenco Festival USA: Valerie Gladstone, New York Times

Li Cunxin (of Mao’s Last Dancer fame) moves back to dance to direct Queensland Ballet:

Mao's last dancer makes return to ballet: ABC Radio Australia

Photo exhibition (video) - Mikhail Baryshnikov, Dance This Way, Miami: Lisa Orkin Emmanuel, NBC Miami n.b. they’re not cheap.

New online arts channel for theatre content: Alistair Smith, The Stage

Mark Ronson to score Wayne McGregor’s new piece for Royal Ballet: Huffington Post

Links – Saturday February 25, 2012

Review - Washington Ballet, Twyla Tharp: All American: Sarah Kaufman, Washington Post

New York City Ballet Music Director to Step Down: Daniel J. Wakin, New York Times

Review - Crystal Pite, The You Show: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

Review - Texas Ballet Theatre, Dracula: Mark Lowry, Star-Telegram

Review - Platform 2012: Parallels, From the Streets, From the Clubs, From the Houses: Claudia La Rocco, New York Times

Review - La Shica (Elsa Rovayo), Supercop, Sadler’s Wells: 4 stars, Julia Sutherland, Financial Times

Review - Exposure, Linbury Studio: 3 stars, Sanjoy Roy, The Guardian

Should theatre be fearless, not flawless?: Lyn Gardner, The Guardian

Preview - Royal New Zealand Ballet, Larry Keigwin’s Final Dress: Zoe Walker, New Zealand Herald

Photos of Alina Cojocaru’s recent Dream Project in Tokyo: NBS Japan

This week’s new dance (UK) - Retina Dance, Ballet Black: Judith Mackrell, The Guardian

Preview - Spring in New York, Paul Taylor and ABT: Alistair Macaulay, New York Times

Exhibition - Mikhail Baryshnikov snaps his camera for Dance This Way, Miami: James Wetherbe, LA Times

Exhibition - Baryshnikov wants dance photography that thrills: Jennifer Kay, The Daily Star (Lebanon)

Exhibition - Politics and the Dancing Body, Library of Congress, Washington: Danielle O’Steen, Washington Post - and a Slideshow

Slideshow - The Joy of Dancing: Dawn.com

Oddest headline of the day: “Birmingham braced for week of ballet shows”. Preparing to defend themselves against marauding ballerinas?: The Express and Star

N.B. There is a piece in The Australian about John Neumeier and Hamburg Ballet but I can’t post it as it looks as if that journal has now retreated behind a paywall. Oddly enough a link to Lucinda Childs that I put in yesterday still works fine - go figure.

John: The 'Australian" paywall appears to be partial, but Heaven knows how they separate things. I'd found I was being shut out once before; decided to delete the paper from my list; and then thought 'one more chance' and on next try, got in OK. We'll see how it goes during my stint.