The ROH booking website - what can we do?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent several emails to the ROH about my inability to sign in and a representative actually telephoned me and I was able to purchase a single ticket to Mayerling for Nov. 11 and 12.  I will get to see Vadream as Rudolf as well as Melissa Hamilton with Ryo Hirano the following day.

I will check into Janet McNulty and zxDaveM's recommendations as I also want to attend La Boheme. Thank you to both of you for your advice.

I will be attending three performances of Mayerling with the Paris Opera Ballet before the two with The Royal Ballet, which should make it a very interesting week of performances. 

• 1 month later...

Those responsible for the ROH website have produced a very strange pricing structure for the Nutcracker. Last week I noticed an anomaly  in the rear half of the amphitheatre. 

In the side blocks of rows R and S the better seats near the aisle were priced at £30 but the seats which were furthest from the centre and those next to the wall were priced at £47. 

In rows N and P the seats nearest the aisle were £47. Next to them was a block of £30 but, again, the ones closest to the wall were £47.

Last week I wrote to the Box Office (attaching the price map below) to point out this anomaly so that they could correct it before Public Booking opened.  They thanked me and wrote that they had forwarded it to the relevant team.  Now that Public Booking has opened, I have checked the seating plan on the website and nothing has changed!

Edited to add that I only just noticed that, in row M, there is a block of seats at £30 but the single seat next to them (and against the wall) is £47!

Nutcracker price map.PNG

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Bluebird what a ‘good’ spot.

bit worrying no one in house spotted it - and also odd it wasn’t rectified when they were notified about it?!

I also spotted they’re charging £100 for a restricted view in the balcony - one view from seat picture had a whole railing pretty much covering the entire stage. Surely no one will buy that seat for that price, unless they don’t understand restricted view or don’t check the seat view? I wouldn’t want to pay £10 for that ticket, let alone £100…I did think then they must have made a mistake with some of the seat pricing, combined with your spot doesn’t inspire much confidence this has all been adequately thought through. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JNC said:

@Bluebird what a ‘good’ spot.

bit worrying no one in house spotted it - and also odd it wasn’t rectified when they were notified about it?!

I also spotted they’re charging £100 for a restricted view in the balcony - one view from seat picture had a whole railing pretty much covering the entire stage.

Are you referring to Balcony A53? (see picture below)

seat-53-A-5.jpg

If so, the picture is inaccurate.  I can't understand how they got that camera angle as I've sat in A53 for rehearsals and the balcony rail has hardly been noticeable.

Edited to add that the equivalent end of row seats in rows B and C in the central block of the Balcony are severely affected by the balcony rail and are also £101. I've just realised that you might have meant those seats.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

FWIW this was my view for Ireland v Argentina in the rugby World Cup quarter final at the (then called) Millennium Stadium in Cardif.  The seat cost the same as those around it so this isn’t something that just affects opera houses!!!

A59873BA-A77C-4CB1-85BE-D3EAF6BF6C49.jpeg

Whatever the venue, it’s hard to see how anyone can argue against the proposition that pricing for seats with an obstructed view should be discounted from that charged for an unobstructed view. 

• Like 2

@Bluebird I can’t remember the exact seat now but yes I think it was B/C - the picture from seat view essentially was head on so you had the big rectangle of the barrier in front of you! 

each venue will be different and will have their quirks and pricing structures - my point was mainly around the fact I found it odd that restricted view seats were priced proportionally the same, or not significantly discounted to non restricted view seats in the same area! 

I also think there are differing levels of restrictions - some of the amphi row A (I think?) restricted seats seem to cut off the bottom corner of the stage. It’s accurate to say that is restricted but for me (and most people) is probably a completely different level to having a big rectangle obscuring the entire view (ie not just limited to a corner). 

A similar comparison might be front row of the Coliseum. It’s all restricted due to the guard rail, but there are particular seats where a large metal support seems to protrude out into the stage. These seats aren’t marked any differently (as all are restricted). I could survive the rail but the metal prong really irritated me. Luckily I was able to move seats as it wasn’t a sell out performance but I will always avoid the front row of the Coli’s version of the amphi as I don’t know which seats are affected by the prong (think it’s probably every 10-20 seats so not loads but it really was unbearable for me). 

If someone wants to pay it, and are fully happy to do so (especially knowing other seats priced the same wouldn’t have that issue) then that’s up to them! But I wonder if those people do really exist?! 

Edited by JNC

11 minutes ago, JNC said:

A similar comparison might be front row of the Coliseum. It’s all restricted due to the guard rail, but there are particular seats where a large metal support seems to protrude out into the stage. These seats aren’t marked any differently (as all are restricted).

That metal support isn't in the same place for every production. Maybe this is why they don't mark the seats in any way?  I used to have a favourite seat in the front row of the Coliseum Balcony.  A few years ago, the metal support you mention was in front of it for a January ENB production.  It was moved elsewhere for the ENB production of the following June.  I've tried asking Front of House staff about it but have never been able to get any explanation from them.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, JNC said:

A similar comparison might be front row of the Coliseum. It’s all restricted due to the guard rail, but there are particular seats where a large metal support seems to protrude out into the stage. These seats aren’t marked any differently (as all are restricted). I could survive the rail but the metal prong really irritated me. Luckily I was able to move seats as it wasn’t a sell out performance but I will always avoid the front row of the Coli’s version of the amphi as I don’t know which seats are affected by the prong (think it’s probably every 10-20 seats so not loads but it really was unbearable for me). 

If someone wants to pay it, and are fully happy to do so (especially knowing other seats priced the same wouldn’t have that issue) then that’s up to them! But I wonder if those people do really exist?! 

In my experience it's the people sitting behind those seats who should be charged less as those sitting in them are only too happy to lean forward and block others' view.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JNC said:

I suspect not. Ditto some of the standing tickets. I’ve lost count of the times when people with standing tickets at the rear of the amphi have been totally perplexed on being unable to match their ticket to a seat. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

That metal support isn't in the same place for every production. Maybe this is why they don't mark the seats in any way?  I used to have a favourite seat in the front row of the Coliseum Balcony.  A few years ago, the metal support you mention was in front of it for a January ENB production.  It was moved elsewhere for the ENB production of the following June.  I've tried asking Front of House staff about it but have never been able to get any explanation from them.

ah ok maybe it’s to do with lighting then? 

either way it really bothered me so I do feel validated not sitting anywhere in row A now! 

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

In my experience it's the people sitting behind those seats who should be charged less as those sitting in them are only too happy to lean forward and block others' view.

The people in the second row in the balcony at the Coliseum get a terrible deal wherever they sit since they have the metal bar (which isn’t usually a problem for the front row seats) as well as the heads of the people in front and these tend to block off large parts of the stage whether or not people in the front row lean forward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I suspect not. Ditto some of the standing tickets. I’ve lost count of the times when people with standing tickets at the rear of the amphi have been totally perplexed on being unable to match their ticket to a seat. 

Maybe this will be helped on the new system you click on a little S rather than the circle which gives you a clue! Also the big STANDING written at the side. But I can see how that may be an oversight yes if you were in a hurry or something.

you could argue the same about restricted view as well, I think the seat I was talking about was C32 on the balcony - the red of the barrier almost matches the colour of the curtain so if you’re booking on a small screen in a hurry you may not notice the obstruction. This seat is £101 for nutcracker! Maybe the seat view makes it look worse than it is (but why would they do that) but it looks awful.

and it’s the same price as C31 which on the seat view is still restricted, but the safety rail is completely not visible in the picture, so they must be referring to the balcony cutting off the bottom corner of the stage at the left / which is a more minor restriction. 

A33 and B34 also seem to be more severely restricted as well - and also £101! For the same price you could sit front central amphi which would be much much better I think. 

If the seat view is accurate I don’t think those seats should be worth much more than £25 or less than that to be honest. 

it’s now booked so I don’t know what price range it would have been (perhaps £30, or at most £47 looking at some surrounding pricing remaining) but in the Amphi A39 for example is marked as restricted but appears to provide a much better and less restricted view, so I would expect the balcony restricted seats I’ve mentioned to be much cheaper than that - if we are being logical anyway…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

The people in the second row in the balcony at the Coliseum get a terrible deal wherever they sit since they have the metal bar (which isn’t usually a problem for the front row seats) as well as the heads of the people in front and these tend to block off large parts of the stage whether or not people in the front row lean forward. 

yes I think the second row of balcony is also marked as restricted as well and has a cheaper price accordingly. If you’re not familiar with the theatre I imagine people are confused why the first two rows are restricted and cheaper! 

I think the pricing increases from the third row. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

I'm wary of booking seats in the front row balcony now because of this

obstruction, it can ruin the view, in fact I only feel really happy booking a front row upper circle seat, one of the reasons I seldom visit the Coliseum any more.

Interesting that the Coliseum can't or won't explain the reason for it!

9 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I'm wary of booking seats in the front row balcony now because of this

obstruction, it can ruin the view, in fact I only feel really happy booking a front row upper circle seat, one of the reasons I seldom visit the Coliseum any more.

Interesting that the Coliseum can't or won't explain the reason for it!

Management have barred customer relations from giving you a reason. 😉

• Like 1

something weird going on with the ROH website at the mo - all performnces (that I looked at) are flagged as 'last few tickets remaining' when yesterday there were 100+ (and many more for some shows) but clicking on the buy tickets says the performance is sold out!

Yes I just checked even though not buying today and it’s as you said all performances of Nutcracker and Mayerling etc sold out!!

Are they working on the system this morning though didn’t see a message or anything. 

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Are they working on the system this morning though didn’t see a message or anything. 

They might be. The chat feature, which has shown an error for months, seems to be operational. 

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

something weird going on with the ROH website at the mo - all performnces (that I looked at) are flagged as 'last few tickets remaining' when yesterday there were 100+ (and many more for some shows) but clicking on the buy tickets says the performance is sold out!

seems to be fixed now

• 1 month later...

Unsure where to put this ...

On Thursday, I couldn't get into the  Clore (the Mayerling Insight event) because my booking wasn't showing up on the webpage, as used on my phone.

The understanding usher encouraged me to go downstairs to the box office, where I was given a compliment slip with my seat details. Unfortunately, I did miss the first several minutes of the event.

Same thing happened last night (Salome - *intense*) but this time I thought to click Events > Past Events, as opposed to Events > Upcoming. It was there. For the event I was there for.

Anyway, as the kids say, just a heads up for anyone who relies on the website on the day.

Box office was helpful, usher was lovely, website the usual wet Wednesday.

Edited by postie
appalling grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone else has had the *new* issue I had with the website this morning. ROH Friends can top up their rehearsal ticket allowance from today, so I logged on, found the performance and the ticket I wanted, and clicked on the little seat circle.

All that came up was the seat view; there was no way of buying the ticket. I tried on two different browsers (eventually discovering that what has actually been happening is that the "buy ticket" window flashes for a fraction of a second, rapidly replaced by the "seat view" window, with no possibility to go back a step - the only option is to go back in from the start and try and select the seat again).

Having read on this thread that people have success with booking via IPhone I tried that, same problem. Only when I moved to my IPad was I able to book.

In the course of the fifteen minutes this took, I repeated the procedure numerous times and noticed that the "journey" through the website changed. So perhaps they are trying to fix this as I type (although having just tried again through my computer's browser, it doesn't seem to be sorted yet). 

Never had this problem before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had similar when trying to click on a seat in box - only showed view, didn’t show price nor select seat click box….

This appeared only on box seats….wondered if it was to do with them wanting to sell all 4 seats in a box together but I’d not specified how many tickets I wanted. Really wanted to links his much seats were in which location. Always so frustrating. Just HATE ROH website. It’s scrappy & disjointed with lousy search functions & makes you trawl through so much stuff you don’t want to look at to get tl where you do…. Aghhhh

• Thanks 1

The new website system is so slow that I’m afraid that deters a lot more people booking tickets, or it deters people who are booking a show from booking more performances. I do remember booking more performances with the old system because it was so quick and efficient to click and buy that you just picked a ballet or opera to see instead of doing something else (like musicals or pop concerts) where you had to wade through a new and inefficient system. 

• Like 2

Emeralds, you are I’m sure correct…. I’ve spent so much time on various occasions trying to navigate & purchase but the whole thing has been so slow, so bizarre with freezing/seats one minute being in basket, next gone…. I’ve frankly given up. Reborn there are 3 boats I’ve just not bothered with in the end…. So that’s one ticket, one programme & one glass of fizz they’ve not had sold…. As one of many that’s potentially quite a loss of income & sad gif dancers/singers who dung veg a full house to play for…

• Like 1