Central Senior school auditions

Dragonlady

I just wanted to wish everyone who will be doing their audition at Central tomorrow (for the senior school) the best of luck.

My DH is taking DD in the car from Dorset so hopefully the traffic will be kind. It is with some trepidation we are allowing DD to do this as we, like so many other families (on a separate post), will be hard hit if the predicted cap on DADAs is true. It would make it almost impossible to get her to any school even with the offer of a DADA.

All we can do is allow her to follow her dream and hope that a.) she gets offered a funded place b.) that we can then afford to let her go. :unsure:

Fingers firmly crossed!

T

Edited for typo (again!)

Edited by Dragonlady
  • Like 3

Hope all goes well for your DD dragonlady and they don't keep you waiting for the results.

DD also auditioning for 6th forms this year - she has applied for a variety of schools etc, with different funding options - so hedging her bets. However saying that her preferred course will rely on a Dada being gained and us being able to afford it under the new system. Although the degrees are cheaper in the short term, it does worry me regarding the amount of debt students come out with at the end and also limits future options if dance does not work out for any reason - unless they take on another £27,000 of fees!

Deep breath.........exhale..........

Why didn't I send her off to Brownies on a Monday night instead? ;)

Millie

• Like 7

Deep breath.........exhale..........

Why didn't I send her off to Brownies on a Monday night instead? ;)

Millie

Millie, If your DD is anything like mine she would be doing all the Brownie stuff dancing!!! :lol: We did try other options...she was really good at swimming but it got to a point where she had to choose which training to go for and she really wasn't built for swimming competitions etc...so we went with dance....

T

• Like 1

Regarding student debts, all universtiy students run the same risk as dancers if their chosen course doesn't work out. There are not many jobs available in our country right now for so many graduates. As a parent of two sons at uni and my daughter at Central, I know it will be a very long time before they pay off their student debts or wait for their inheritance ha ha. Having said that the boys have both chosen solid subjects that will hopefully get them into a well paid job. For our daughter hoping she is succesful in gaining a third year place in two years time at Central she will come out with a BA degree, and if dance sadly does not work out she can top that degree up with a further one year degree such as teacher training. Sadly no DA DAs are offered at Central due to their BA degree course, but thankfully even at the age of 16 they can apply for a student loan.

Good luck to everyone auditioning on sunday Cental is a fabulous environment to train in, the teachers and staff are just lovely.

• Like 6

Our DD turned down her Central place in favour of a DADA course to avoid the student loans that would have built up over her two/three years at Central. If she would like to, she can upgrade her DADA course qualification into a BA degree in nine months.

Good luck to all auditioning. :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the good wishes. DD made the place with plenty of time to spare and then found a cafe where a lot of other nervous dancers were waiting!

THere were 25 dancers (mixed sexes) to a group and there were two groups auditioning that day. They were told that there were 400 children auditioning - including two separate days in Japan - and that they could take maybe 30 :( It was interesting that the dancers were numbered in height order and DD was number 2!! (she is very tiny).

DD said that the pannel was just two people with clipboards at a table and a third who took the class which was not too challenging, my DH says that they were made to feel welcome and answered questions from parents at the front desk (no parents allowed to watch audition).

Fingers crossed but not holding out too many hopes as these odds are overwhelming when you think that the UK contingent was maybe 50 dancers against 100 japanese and the other 100 EU countries auditioning on the finals day itself. DH talked to a lot of other parents and no-one was holing out much hope of being able to get their dancer through to training at 16 (because of the economics etc) and that 18 would be a better option.................

T

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for your daughter Dragonlady. Just to point out to you in the firts year now there are a lot of 16 year olds my daughter is one of the younger ones (summer birth). There are also lots of different heights some really tiny dancers and some really tall e.g 5ft 7ish. There are majority British children with about 10 internationals. It is hard to get into any of these dance schools and they are all looking for different things. But your daughter is as good as the rest of them and stands the same chance. This year is a very, very stressful year on top of everything else. All the best of luck throughout all your daughters auditions.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your experience DL, very helpful. The odds are always stacked against but somebody has to get in and I'm sure your DD has a really good chance :) .

I do wonder though whether Central will turn out to be more popular this year if the DaDa funding ends up being a significant burden to parents, because with Central being degree based, students will have access to degree funding which is not available at Elmhurst or ENBS.

Good luck to all those waiting to hear about their audition at Central. Be positive and I hope it's a yes letter for your DD when it arrives.

The number of 400 young people auditioning sounds the same as it was two years ago when DS was auditioning for post 16 places. DS took up a place in September 2011, aged 16, and is from a non-vocational background.

He loves it there as they are treated very much as young adults, enjoys the training and everyone is very friendly there.

• Like 2

"It was interesting that the dancers were numbered in height order and DD was number 2!! (she is very tiny)."

Hi sorry not sure how to use the quote thingy!

Dragonlady was your DD in the afternoon? My DD was number1!! She is also very tiny! In fact she said she was obscured by the piano some of the time.

Overall she enjoyed the audition and what will be will be.

Your statistics about the number of applicants is interesting/scary/reality check!

Good luck to all who audition.

I have had the same thoughts as Ribbons. The funding of the degree course is in reality far more accessible and possible even with the current DADA system. The worry for parents with the changes that may well be coming in very soon with the DADA will make the degree option even more attractive and far easier for parents to manage. Currently with a Dada you would still need to find about £12,00.00 per year (out of your net income) if you weren't able to get any extra help. For many parents the option of student loans makes it possible for the DC to train if they are offered a place :) I think Central are ahead of the game myself but thats only my opinion :)

• Like 4

Hi Ecarte, No. My DD was in the morning session. She enjoyed the experience but is very realistic about the outcome.

I think that we just have to focus on a really good "Plan B" and hope that she can keep going to 18 with a good level of ballet training...not something Dorset is renowned for though. There are other auditions coming up so "Plan A" very much a goal still.

T

• Like 1

I have had the same thoughts as Ribbons. The funding of the degree course is in reality far more accessible and possible even with the current DADA system. The worry for parents with the changes that may well be coming in very soon with the DADA will make the degree option even more attractive and far easier for parents to manage. Currently with a Dada you would still need to find about £12,00.00 per year (out of your net income) if you weren't able to get any extra help. For many parents the option of student loans makes it possible for the DC to train if they are offered a place :) I think Central are ahead of the game myself but thats only my opinion :)

Won't apply to us for a few years yet, but currently as far as I know anyone receiving Child Tax Credit will lose it when their child starts a degree course.

Gosh that must be a London school current DADA rate??? Out of London the current DADA contribution with no additional 'hardship' top up grant (including accommodation) is about £8000 PA. Elmhurst is more I believe. Still a lot to find :(

Hi Taxi,

I think in that situation you will find that you're able to apply for help for household income under a certain threshold. I know that child benefit for that particular child is no longer payable once on a degree course. Anyway its all a bit of a minefield, however I would say that for full time vocational training, parents are faced with the financial issues also faced by those with children continuing in education. Everything costs these days, sadly :( On another note, most of all I would like to wish everyone the best of luck with their auditions and hope that the results are out soon and that there are some happy yes's for finals :)

PP

Hi everyone,

dd was in the morning audition and was number 1 - no surprises as she is tinier than tiny!

She also said she was in the corner and the piano was in front of her...

Dragonlady - she said that the girl who was no. 2 next to her was really nice!!

She knows she has not have got through to the final audition as none of the panel seemed to give her a second glance, and she was aware who they were focussing on - her feeling is that her height and low arches were the 'problem'. She did enjoy the class though and is realistic enough to accept that this is not going to be the school for her.

• Like 2

I agree with Tulip, dont give up until you know what the answer is. My dd was also in the corner and felt she may have not been noticed, however she was noticed and went on to be offered a place. You must try and keep positive otherwise this auditioning process can get really horrid. It is stressful but you need to keep your daughter feeling upbeat and positive. I always believe that things happen for a reason, so a huge good luck to all the young dancers audtioning.

• Like 4

Perhaps they were focussing on those they were unsure of. Not being looked at will perhaps be a good thing and you'll get a yes letter for the finals?

Fingers crossed that you have good news and go forward to the the final audition.

Enjoy Christmas and prepare yourselves for the next few months ahead with the highs and lows of auditioning.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the postie has just been this morning - bringing dd's Central audition letter. After being stuck in the corner and feeling that she wasn't looked at by any of the teachers we were very surprised to find out she has got through to the final audition in March - it just goes to show how difficult it is to judge what the panel are thinking when you are doing an audition :rolleyes:

Hope other DCs get good news soon.

Klaris x

• Like 10

Hello All,

A newby here.

My daughter also did the central audition on the 16th but just had her no letter - its a tough world out there!

This is such a great forum and even though I havent commented before - your words of wisdom have helped. This was only her first auditions so daunting and a learning curve.

Well done to your dd Klaris. All the best for the finals! :)

Kindest,

• Like 4

A huge well done to your daughter Klaris, our children always tell you about the bad points during auditions. Have you got any other auditions to do? Good luck for your daughter Guesty with any other auditions she may have coming up. One school may say no but others may say yes.

• Like 3