English National Ballet - promotions on stage

8 hours ago, alison said:

And obviously very much appreciated by their colleagues too, to judge by the reaction!

Oddly enough, I was thinking just this afternoon about how Tamara Rojo had promoted Shiori Kase onstage at the Palais Garnier.

Tamara announces most promotions to Principal or Lead Principal on stage, which is really nice for them and the audience. The first one was Vadim Muntagirov to Lead Principal after the opening night of The Nutcracker in 2012. Then came Laurretta Summerscales, also at the Coli - on the last day of the 2015/16 winter season there, which happened to be her birthday. Next up was Shiori Kase in Paris, also in 2016. I don't recall Cesar Corrales being promoted to Principal or Joseph Caley or Gabriele Frola being promoted from Principal to Lead Principal on stage - but others' memories might be better than mine.

The run of Raymonda has served to emphasise how much talent there is throughout the Company. Surely, a number of the 39 Artists/First Artists deserve promotion too. There are, after all, only 20 current dancers of Junior Soloist rank and above. [The 65+ dancers referred to in publicity for Raymonda include a number of extras,  several whom are named on the daily cast sheets.]

But it's just wonderful that the Company has been able to show itself in full flight this week, especially after the earlier Omicron-related hiccups.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, capybara said:

Tamara announces most promotions to Principal or Lead Principal on stage, which is really nice for them and the audience. The first one was Vadim Muntagirov to Lead Principal after the opening night of The Nutcracker in 2012. Then came Laurretta Summerscales, also at the Coli - on the last day of the 2015/16 winter season there, which happened to be her birthday. Next up was Shiori Kase in Paris, also in 2016. I don't recall Cesar Corrales being promoted to Principal or Joseph Caley or Gabriele Frola being promoted from Principal to Lead Principal on stage - but others' memories might be better than mine.

Corrales was promoted to Principal on the Bunka Kaikan stage when the company was performing in Tokyo.  I have a feeling Caley's and Frola's promotions were announced in the press only, along with promotions at all the other levels at the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Just asking has one of my posts been removed from this thread? 

Yes, because it contained speculation about a dancer’s private life.  I hadn’t been able to tell you yet as I have been travelling.   

• Like 1

I see ENB's website has already been updated to relect last night's promotions. That was quick work. The Principals category now is rather more occupied with 4 dancers rather than 2 in it! I still can't understand why ENB needs 8 different dancer categories though, especially as apart from the Artist category, the other categories only have between 1 and 7 dancers in each.

The company has issued a press release:

Header_Dec2019

For immediate release: 22 January 2022

This weekend, English National Ballet announced three promotions within the Company: 

Shiori Kase has been promoted to Lead Principal
Aitor Arrieta and Emma Hawes have been promoted to Principal

Joining the dancers at the end of their performances in Raymonda at the London Coliseum (Arrieta and Hawes on Friday evening, Kase on Saturday evening), English National Ballet’s Artistic Director, Tamara Rojo CBE, announced the promotions in front of the audience and Company. 

Image   Image   Image

English National Ballet dancers are promoted on stage at the end of their performances in Raymonda at the London Coliseum. 

L-R: Shiori Kase is promoted to Lead Principal, Aitor Arrieta is promoted to Principal, Emma Hawes is promoted to Principal. 

© Ian Gavan 

Shiori Kase joined English National Ballet in 2009 and was promoted to Principal in 2016. She has performed in numerous lead roles including Odette/Odile in Swan Lake, Clara/Sugar Plum Fairy in Nutcracker, Medora in Le Corsaire and the title role in Cinderella. She received critical and audience acclaim for her opening night performance in the title role of Raymonda earlier this week. She received English National Ballet’s Emerging Dancer Award in 2011.  

Since joining English National Ballet in 2016, Aitor Arrieta has been promoted to First Soloist and been the joint winner of 2017’s Emerging Dancer Award. He has performed in lead roles including John de Bryan in Raymonda, Albrecht in Akram Khan’s Giselle, Nephew/Prince in Nutcracker, Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake, Des Grieux in Manon and Prince Guillaume in Cinderella. 

Emma Hawes joined English National Ballet in 2018 and has danced lead roles including Odette/Odile in Swan Lake, Gulnare in Le Corsaire, Clara/Sugar Plum Fairy in Nutcracker and the title roles in Manon, Cinderella and, most recently, Raymonda. 

-ENDS- 

English National Ballet is grateful for the generous grant it has been awarded through the Government's Culture Recovery Fund, which allows it to continue to create, perform and serve its audiences.

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

NatWest is Principal Partner of English National Ballet.

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet's growth and evolution ever since. 

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages including The Bolshoi Theatre and Palais Garnier; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet's Dance for Parkinson's.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company's repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. www.ballet.org.uk  

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let's Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Unfortunately, the draft of this announcement, including the news of Shiori Kase’s promotion, was up in the Blog section of ENB’s website from early yesterday.🙃

Whoops.  The PR email was timed at 2 minutes to midnight.