Additional Ballet Practice

startedat17

Hi, so I’m relatively new to dancing ballet (sure I did it when I was a toddler, but I stopped and forgot most of what I learnt so I started it up again recently) but I currently have only 1 lesson a week (it’s private) for an hour.

i was wondering how I could practice outside of this in terms of conditioning, learning vocabulary, material that I can use to further improve my learning (I.e. books) or somewhat emulating the life of a ballet student - I have access to a dance studio so I can practice.

thanks

• Like 1

Hello! I started ballet last year. Initially I was doing one 1hr class a week, but  I found once I started to take 3 classes a week a couple of months ago I really started to improve. Also strength training (I do 2-4 hours of weights a week) has really helped. Are there any classes in your area you could attend? This is the best way to improve by consistently going to class.

• Like 1

Hi, startedat17 and welcome from me too.  

I would echo Angela’s advice about going to class, even online classes if there are none near you.  Group classes are ideal because you get to see other people’s corrections and apply them to yourself if necessary.  Pilates, swimming, cross-training and so on are ideal for ballet.  

In terms of learning vocabulary, there are several glossaries/dictionaries of ballet vocab; the RAD has one here:  https://www.radenterprises.co.uk/products/dictionary-of-classical-ballet-terminology?variant=40849017995427

I would advise caution about practicing alone/unsupervised as a beginner, because you could well end up accidentally using incorrect technique and cementing that into your muscle memory, only to have to unlearn it later.  My daughter’s dance physio used to say “Practice doesn’t make *perfect*, practice makes *permanent*.” 

If you have a teacher for private lessons, does he/she teach group classes?  And what are you aiming for - taking exams eventually, or just learning to dance for pleasure and fitness?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I would advise caution about practicing alone/unsupervised as a beginner, because you could well end up accidentally using incorrect technique and cementing that into your muscle memory, only to have to unlearn it later.

Totally reiterate Anna's advice here.

If you want to progress then you should try to do more than one 1 hour class per week. And I'd recommend group classes. You learn so much from watching other dancers, and hearing their corrections.

Also second/third other posters' advice about other forms of training and conditioning. Can you do a Pilates mat class? or yoga, Progressing Ballet Technique (PBT), or any kind of gym training. There's long been a prejudice against gym training, including lifting weights for dancers (especially for girls and women) but more recent and more properly evidenced & tested sports science research suggests that strength training, as well as other agility and conditioning, is great for dancers, if done carefully & properly. If you do social media, you might look at TheBalletStrengthPro on Instagram who works with dancers from training to professional, in strength, plyometrics, and general athletic conditioning.

Steady state cardio (ie jogging, cycling, cross-trainer) is OK but your body soon becomes used to it, and you don't get the benefit of mixing up your training.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Anna C said:

would advise caution about practicing alone/unsupervised as a beginner, because you could well end up accidentally using incorrect technique and cementing that into your muscle memory, only to have to unlearn it later.

The risk of that when one has a weekly private is pretty limited unless they’re doing a lot of hours.

Two or three classes a week will make a big difference to progress - if a physical group class isn’t an option then a zoom class or two can be effective, especially since you’re getting concentrated in person corrections from a private.

There are lots of recommendations for beginners classes in other threads here. I’d discuss options with your teacher and see what they think. 

And watch ballet.  Live if possible, but if this isn't possible watch as many films or broadcasts of dancers as you can. 

By watching ballet, not only do you get to enjoy the beauty and diversity of the art form, but also - if you are watching professional dancers - you get to see how it's meant to be done.  Your body won't do everything their's does, but if you have that end result in mind in class you know what you are aiming for.

Also when you are watching dance, your brain goes through the same activity as it would if you were actually dancing the steps, so you get a kind of dress rehearsal in your head without getting out of your chair.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, glowlight said:

And watch ballet.  Live if possible, but if this isn't possible watch as many films or broadcasts of dancers as you can. 

By watching ballet, not only do you get to enjoy the beauty and diversity of the art form, but also - if you are watching professional dancers - you get to see how it's meant to be done.  Your body won't do everything their's does, but if you have that end result in mind in class you know what you are aiming for.

Or better still, if you happen to have a former, RBS-trained, professional dancer in your class 😛

Also when you are watching dance, your brain goes through the same activity as it would if you were actually dancing the steps, so you get a kind of dress rehearsal in your head without getting out of your chair.  

Hmm, I'm not convinced that my brain actually does that!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, glowlight said:

1 minute ago, alison said:

I assume this is something that's supposed to happen only for people who dance themselves? I've never done ballet - beyond trying it for a few months age about 6 then giving up when I realised I wouldn't get on pointe for years! - & I'm sure when I watch the RB or ENB I don't even know what steps they're doing most of the time let alone having any sort of brain activity relating to dancing them!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alison said:

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I assume this is something that's supposed to happen only for people who dance themselves? 

You may well be right - but have you ever noticed how you feel physically tired after watching a live performance, as if you had been going through the motions yourself?   I first heard about this phenomenon in a BBC series which Deborah Bull presented called 'The Dancers Body'.  (I've just looked it up and it was 20 years ago!!! How does time fly so quickly) and have seen a few other articles about it more recently.

I think that this is one of the reasons why dancers are encouraged to watch class if they are injured.  You don't just dance with your body.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, glowlight said:

You may well be right - but have you ever noticed how you feel physically tired after watching a live performance, as if you had been going through the motions yourself?   I first heard about this phenomenon in a BBC series which Deborah Bull presented called 'The Dancers Body'.  (I've just looked it up and it was 20 years ago!!! How does time fly so quickly) and have seen a few other articles about it more recently.

I think that this is one of the reasons why dancers are encouraged to watch class if they are injured.  You don't just dance with your body.

I feel the same way after watching tennis or other forms of sport as well as ballet.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, glowlight said:

I don't think I feel that. I sometimes feel emotionally tired, if I've been watching say R&J or Manon and have been reduced to tears, but I don't think I feel physically tired from just watching, certainly not in the way I'd feel if I even tried to do any dancing myself. Though admittedly its complicated by the fact that I walk from Kings Cross to the ROH & back so any physical tiredness I feel when I get home after a performance I'd put down to walking nearly 2 miles each way, sometimes at a very brisk pace if time is tight for trains.

• Like 1

Kimberley Berkin’s Tips on Ballet Technique are awesome.

https://youtube.com/c/TipsOnBalletTechnique

For terminology, this ballet dictionary is the gold standard. 

https://archive.org/details/GailGrantBalletDictionary

scroll to the bottom and click PDF to save on device. 

I’d also check out at home classes such as these. 

https://www.city-academy.com/online/online-ballet-classes-improvers/

Edited by Blue Box Ballet
  • Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 19:58, Blue Box Ballet said:

Kimberley Berkin’s Tips on Ballet Technique are awesome.

https://youtube.com/c/TipsOnBalletTechnique

For terminology, this ballet dictionary is the gold standard. 

https://archive.org/details/GailGrantBalletDictionary

scroll to the bottom and click PDF to save on device. 

I’d also check out at home classes such as these. 

https://www.city-academy.com/online/online-ballet-classes-improvers/

I checked out the city academy website. Would it be worth waiting for the February term to start do you reckon? Thanks so much for the links, they were very helpful

On 21/01/2022 at 08:58, Anna C said:

Hi, startedat17 and welcome from me too.  

I would echo Angela’s advice about going to class, even online classes if there are none near you.  Group classes are ideal because you get to see other people’s corrections and apply them to yourself if necessary.  Pilates, swimming, cross-training and so on are ideal for ballet.  

In terms of learning vocabulary, there are several glossaries/dictionaries of ballet vocab; the RAD has one here:  https://www.radenterprises.co.uk/products/dictionary-of-classical-ballet-terminology?variant=40849017995427

I would advise caution about practicing alone/unsupervised as a beginner, because you could well end up accidentally using incorrect technique and cementing that into your muscle memory, only to have to unlearn it later.  My daughter’s dance physio used to say “Practice doesn’t make *perfect*, practice makes *permanent*.” 

If you have a teacher for private lessons, does he/she teach group classes?  And what are you aiming for - taking exams eventually, or just learning to dance for pleasure and fitness?

Hi, to answer your question, I am hoping to take exams (which is why I am doing RAD syllabus classes privately), over the last few months, we've worked up to grade3/4 work without the exams, but I'll probably take some for the higher level grades. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Aurora3 said:

PBT is fine for you if you choose the right level. also, floor barre classes can help you to develop the right muscles! And, of course, stretching is good and easy to do on your own!

What is PBT if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: Never mind I reread the thread :)

Edited by startedat17