Anything Goes summer tour - and Barbican offers and seating

jmhopton

Probably not the correct place to post this but I thought more people may see it than under tickets (though I suppose it could be posted in both).

I've had an email from London theatres about special offers on some productions and one of them is Anything Goes, back at the Barbican for a 6 week run this summer. The offer seems confined to the 2 week run in July and not in August. I booked a side upper circle for £29.50 and no fees. There was no mention of any discount for these tickets but I noticed the same tickets in August were £36. There are other far more substantial discounts; £59.50 for tickets that cost over £100 but I thought I'd go cheap and hope for the best. I don't know if I've ever been to to Barbican. Are there any rails at all? (I'm rather short). My seat is AA1 in the upper circle.

Just remembered to add that casting hasn't been announced yet so you would be 'booking blind' as it were. I'm keeping everything crossed for Sutton Foster again but that's probably not very likely.

https://www.londontheatredirect.com/?mc_cid=2e981518e7&mc_eid=e8bad77286

Edited by jmhopton
add information

I’d say that sight lines are good pretty much anywhere in the Barbican, as with most modern theatres. I haven’t sat in those particular seats but have certainly sat in an array of cheaper seats and, subject to correction from anyone with more precise knowledge, would think you’ll have no problem with your seats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I thought I'd go cheap and hope for the best. I don't know if I've ever been to to Barbican. Are there any rails at all? (I'm rather short). My seat is AA1 in the upper circle.

The seatplan.com website has photos of the views from many of the seats in the Barbican Theatre:

https://seatplan.com/london/barbican-theatre/seating-plan/

Edited to add that I've just checked the photos of the view from AA1 in the Upper Circle and they're both photos of the Anything Goes set!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

I’d say that sight lines are good pretty much anywhere in the Barbican, as with most modern theatres. I haven’t sat in those particular seats but have certainly sat in an array of cheaper seats and, subject to correction from anyone with more precise knowledge, would think you’ll have no problem with your seats.

Unfortunately the sight lines aren't good everywhere in the Barbican Theatre.  When the ROH was closed in the late nineties, we saw a couple of operas there.  We sat at the extreme side of the Circle, in row FF, and were not able to see any action at our side of the stage.  I would estimate that we missed around a quarter of the stage from those seats.

Edited by Bluebird

• alison changed the title to Anything Goes back at the Barbican this summer - offers and seating
8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

My seat is AA1 in the upper circle.

I sat there for Opera North's Carousel & from what I recall the view was reasonable, especially for the fairly low price, but it was 10 years ago so I can't say I recall it in detail! I suppose it also depends on what you want from a view. Some people prefer unrestricted even if that means more distant, others prefer nearer with potential restriction. I am definitely in the latter category.

I'd second Lizbie's Theatre Monkey website recommendation. Always the first place I go to check West End theatres. (Though I may be biased as I'm acquainted with the owner, lovely chap.)

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

I've been to the Barbican many times in the past when I worked in London.  I always found the sight lines good, as the seats are well raked, but I don't remember sitting in seats at the extreme edge. 

Anything Goes is a wonderful production.  I went and saw it last September, and thought it was great.  

Edited by Fonty

• 2 months later...

The Anything Goes production that was filmed and shown on TV last Christmas is on tour before arriving at the Barbican. I've purchased a ticket at the Palace Theatre, Manchester.

Bristol Hippodrome 11-16 April

Liverpool Empire 20-30 April

Edinburgh Festival Theatre 11-21 May

Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury 25 May-4 June

Palace Theatre Manchester 9-18 June

Barbican 15 Jul- 3 Sep.

I just want to say my Palace Theatre ticket is a Senior midweek matinee ticket, side block, front row of the lower circle for £34 for Wed 15th June, 2.30 Supposed to be unrestricted view and photos don't seem to show a rail. It is normally a £54 ticket. I don't know their criteria for 'senior'. I'm 65 though don't receive my state pension until a month later than the performance when I will be 66 so I hope I count. The reduction only applies to the matinee and not the Wed evening performance which is £54 so probably accounts for more matinee than evening performances sold that day. They are doing 3 matinees but the other 2 are on Saturday so no reductions there. In fact, the same seat seemed to be £60 on Saturday matinee and evening (still considerably less than at the Barbican for front row circle). The cheapest Barbican tickets seem to start at £36 though of course you would expect them to be more in London.

Re casting I'm disappointed not to see Sutton Foster and don't know her replacement.

The show will star Multi Award Winner Kerry Ellis (Wicked/We Will Rock You) as Reno Sweeney and Olivier Award Winner Denis Lawson (Bleak House/Star Wars) as Moonface Martin. Joining them on board is Oliver Award Winner Simon Callow (Art/Death in Paradise) as Elisha Whitney and Musical Theatre Royalty Bonnie Langford (EastEnders/9 to 5) as Evangeline Harcourt. I think they're keeping the original Billy Crocker, Erma, Lord Evelyn and Hope Harcourt so that's good.

Incidentally, I have a ticket I bought for the Barbican before I realised about the tour if anyone is interested. It is for Saturday 30th July, 2.30 matinee, upper circle B42 for £45. I will take £25 just to see it go to a good home. If anyone is interested please send me a personal message. I can either forward the e-ticket or post it.

• alison changed the title to Anything Goes summer tour - and Barbican offers and seating

Kerry Ellis is a massive name in musical theatre. She has quite a following. She originated the role of Meat in We Will Rock You, she was Martine McCutcheon’s understudy in My Fair Lady, was Idina Menzel’s standby in Wicked before taking over the role and she has worked a lot with Brian May. 

Does anyone know if this is the production which started at the Chichester Festival?  We are doing it as our school musical (why?  just why?) and one of my production crew has a sister who SM'd  the Chichester production.

Going to the Barbican picked up E2-4 cheap during the EMR promotion.  Don't care what I can see as long as I can hear the glorious music!!

• 3 weeks later...

No, it’s based on the Broadway 2011 production with Kathleen Marshall’s (adapted) choreography. 

As far as I am aware it’s never played Chichester Festival. There was a revival tour in 2015 (etched in my memory as someone ran in the back of my car the night I went to see it) but it was cut short due to poor ticket sales) 

Save 50% on top tickets* 

Use the promo code SETSAIL50 at the checkout to get our £99.50 seats for £49.50 or our £60 seats for £30 in the first three weeks' of performances only.

*Ticket promotion is subject to availability. Available on performances until [Sat 16 Jul]. Selected price bands only.

Book now