New Year's Honours List 2022

There are several honourees from the dance world.

The list is in today's links:

Especial congratulations to new knight Sir Alistair Spalding, CEO & AD of Sadler's Wells.

Congratulations to all the honourees (and sorry if we've missed anyone - please let us know).

• Like 5

Yes, many congratulations to the recipients. 

I’m struck at how responsive the awards system is to recent achievement in sports and other fields. With this in mind, should leading dance companies be actively promoting the achievements of those in their ranks, particularly as they reach a certain point in their career? Ed Watson is a particularly pertinent example, but there are many others. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yes, many congratulations to the recipients. 

I’m struck at how responsive the awards system is to recent achievement in sports and other fields. With this in mind, should leading dance companies be actively promoting the achievements of those in their ranks, particularly as they reach a certain point in their career? Ed Watson is a particularly pertinent example, but there are many others. 

The Stuggart  Ballet does this very well, at least on IG.  They wish the company good luck, mention debuts and note anniversaries.  The ROH (the only other company I 'follow') barely seems to do anything similar, unless they can make money from it (i.e. announcing streamings - multiple times.) They did mention Joesph Sission's recent(ish) award but I didn't see any mention of the three artists reaching their 25th anniversary with the company or the company member who won a Dancer-of-the-Year award from a European dance magazine.  Happy to be corrected if I just missed it. Casting changes and cancelation notices on social media would be helpful as well. 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

The Stuggart  Ballet does this very well, at least on IG.  They wish the company good luck, mention debuts and note anniversaries. 

In their programmes the Halle have an indication of which orchestra members have achieved 20 years of service. Similarly, for us choir members, they show which us have been in the choir for 20, 30, 40 and even, in a couple of cases, 50 years. I wouldn't object if ballet companies did something similar!

• Like 1