MT deg/dip auditions etc for 2022 entry

Gowiththeflo

13 hours ago, Kendie76 said:

Wow I know it’s hard when they get a no and today she did sound crushed bless her but then her Wilkes audition lifted her spirits and they were so lovely 

No direct experience of Wilkes at all, as Dd was adamant she wanted to go ‘to London’, but have heard very good things about it. Glad she was able to ‘bounce back’, and hopefully good news will come her way soon. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, jazzhands said:

Sorry to hear it was a no this time and I hope your DD had a good time at Wilkes. We have that audition in two weeks as well. Does she have many more to go? If she’s a stronger dancer are you seeing anyone for the singing/acting side? 

Thanks for your reply. At first honestly the text I got from her was heartbreaking and my dd is on the younger side if that makes sense but she’s fine now. She absolutely loved Wilkes and said it just felt like family which was lovely. She has performers, addict and trinity Laban left. Good luck for your dd x

12 minutes ago, Gowiththeflo said:

No direct experience of Wilkes at all, as Dd was adamant she wanted to go ‘to London’, but have heard very good things about it. Glad she was able to ‘bounce back’, and hopefully good news will come her way soon. 

Thank you x

29 minutes ago, Kendie76 said:

Thanks for your reply. At first honestly the text I got from her was heartbreaking and my dd is on the younger side if that makes sense but she’s fine now. She absolutely loved Wilkes and said it just felt like family which was lovely. She has performers, addict and trinity Laban left. Good luck for your dd x

We have a friend at Wilkes and she’s loving it. They have some awesome faculty members too. Good luck for the other auditions! X

26 minutes ago, jazzhands said:

We have a friend at Wilkes and she’s loving it. They have some awesome faculty members too. Good luck for the other auditions! X

Thanks I kinda think surely they wouldn’t be that positive and giving compliments and not offer a place but you just don’t know x

10 hours ago, Kendie76 said:

Yeah she’s done competitions etc and danced since she was 2. I will say she does look young for her age so maybe it’s that to be honest. She has performers next week, addict on the 16th feb and trinity Laban when they send a date 

I think addict seems to be a good choice for someone whose main strength is dance - especially if they want to focus mainly on that rather than MT.  My daughter’s teachers see it as a good up and coming school. Because it’s not quite as well known as urdang, performers etc it does seem to be a little bit easier to get in to but still of a good standard. Obviously that’s just based on personal experience of my daughter and her friends. Good luck for the rest of her auditions. 

54 minutes ago, oliviaT said:

I think addict seems to be a good choice for someone whose main strength is dance - especially if they want to focus mainly on that rather than MT.  My daughter’s teachers see it as a good up and coming school. Because it’s not quite as well known as urdang, performers etc it does seem to be a little bit easier to get in to but still of a good standard. Obviously that’s just based on personal experience of my daughter and her friends. Good luck for the rest of her auditions. 

Thank you x

18 hours ago, Kendie76 said:

Did your dd get into Wilkes did you say? Thanks for the tips 

@Kendie76my advice is let your Dd do all the auditions see which ones offer her a place and sit down and look at the pros and cons. The training is the just one chapter of your Dd’s journey. What is her aim after training? That might help you make a decision. I have no knowledge of Wilkes but a bit more about others such as Performers, Addict, Trinity Laban as well as Arts Ed, Urdang, Laine,LSC. One place you may consider ESPA in Stamford fairly new but some great nurturing teachers.

Honestly everyone the wait for these places is unreal lol. My daughter is really hoping for Wilkes to offer her a place as she loved it. On one hand I think they said so many lovely comments in the interview surely they would offer her a place then on the other hand I’m like maybe they won’t and that’s what they do give her loads of praise and let her down. It’s the not knowing so if anyone has any knowledge of Wilkes audition interview feel free to let me know x

8 hours ago, Kendie76 said:

Honestly everyone the wait for these places is unreal lol. My daughter is really hoping for Wilkes to offer her a place as she loved it. On one hand I think they said so many lovely comments in the interview surely they would offer her a place then on the other hand I’m like maybe they won’t and that’s what they do give her loads of praise and let her down. It’s the not knowing so if anyone has any knowledge of Wilkes audition interview feel free to let me know x

Did they give any indication of how long it would be until they let your DD know? I don’t have experience of Wilkes I’m afraid!

11 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Did they give any indication of how long it would be until they let your DD know? I don’t have experience of Wilkes I’m afraid!

No they didn’t 🤦🏻‍♀️ But I’ve searched this forum lol and think it’s 4 days and something about a black envelope?  Interview was amazing and they did say loads of lovely things so my daughter so I’m leaning towards a positive but you never know do you. Honestly this is the most nerve wracking part 

On 14/01/2022 at 21:39, Kendie76 said:

Yeah she’s done competitions etc and danced since she was 2. I will say she does look young for her age so maybe it’s that to be honest. She has performers next week, addict on the 16th feb and trinity Laban when they send a date 

Hi. Hope you don’t mind me asking how old your DD is? Is she applying for a Dip course or via UCAS. Just curious as I’m constantly learning the more I read posts on this forum. Thank you. ☺️

Edited by balletbean

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Hope you don’t mind me asking how old your DD is? Is she applying for a Dip course or via UCAS. Just curious as I’m constantly learning the more I read posts on this forum. Thank you. ☺️

Don’t mind at all. My daughter is 17 but honestly looks about 14 lol I do think that goes against her to be fair. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kendie76 said:

Don’t mind at all. My daughter is 17 but honestly looks about 14 lol I do think that goes against her to be fair. 

My DD also looks very young too and is only just over 5 ft. We’ve always been told that it’s a good thing as they can play much younger roles and don’t need chaperoning and also if they are shorter they are easy to partner with. I wouldn’t let that worry you. When they have makeup on they always look much older any way. 

3 hours ago, Kendie76 said:

No they didn’t 🤦🏻‍♀️ But I’ve searched this forum lol and think it’s 4 days and something about a black envelope?  Interview was amazing and they did say loads of lovely things so my daughter so I’m leaning towards a positive but you never know do you. Honestly this is the most nerve wracking part 

Having gone through all this last year I would say that out of all the auditions,  Wilkes gave the most away in their interview! Almost to the point where you could predict the outcome. However I think it’s better to try not to guess (easier said than done I know!) - if she doesn’t get a place for any reason then hopefully she can still use the positive feedback to give her a boost for the rest of the auditions.

The offer letter comes in an A4 black envelope which is really nicely presented. It didn’t take long last year from memory. 

20 minutes ago, oliviaT said:

Having gone through all this last year I would say that out of all the auditions,  Wilkes gave the most away in their interview! Almost to the point where you could predict the outcome. However I think it’s better to try not to guess (easier said than done I know!) - if she doesn’t get a place for any reason then hopefully she can still use the positive feedback to give her a boost for the rest of the auditions.

The offer letter comes in an A4 black envelope which is really nicely presented. It didn’t take long last year from memory. 

Thank you so much!! This has helped massively and we were thinking surely they can’t say all these lovely things and say no but you never know lol. The things they said were amazing as I’ve said the only thing they put down was young looking but that may not of been negative or positive who knows. She absolutely loved Wilkes and said it felt like home. I think it can take 4 days but again who knows. Also this audition was from the cyd scholarship auditions so don’t know if that makes any difference. Thanks for your reply xx

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kendie76 said:

Thank you. They can appear so young for so long then in the blink of an eye they are all grown up. Well physically anyway 😉 

I wish your DD all the best with her auditions. Exciting but also quite stressful 😏🍀

1 minute ago, balletbean said:

Thank you. They can appear so young for so long then in the blink of an eye they are all grown up. Well physically anyway 😉 

I wish your DD all the best with her auditions. Exciting but also quite stressful 😏🍀

Thankyou and honestly she may not of aged but we have lol xx

49 minutes ago, Kendie76 said:

Thankyou and honestly she may not of aged but we have lol xx

Bless you. My lil girl went away just a matter of weeks after her 16th birthday. OMGoodness by graduation so grown up. However, holiday time it doesn’t take long for them all to return to childlike habits  😉🙄😂

• Like 2

On 15/01/2022 at 16:40, Drdee said:

@Kendie76my advice is let your Dd do all the auditions see which ones offer her a place and sit down and look at the pros and cons. The training is the just one chapter of your Dd’s journey. What is her aim after training? That might help you make a decision. I have no knowledge of Wilkes but a bit more about others such as Performers, Addict, Trinity Laban as well as Arts Ed, Urdang, Laine,LSC. One place you may consider ESPA in Stamford fairly new but some great nurturing teachers.

Hi. Not too sure if you’ve seen or heard the news. An announcement was made today that Betty Laine retired on the 6th January. No permeant replacement as the interview process has yet to commence. 

4 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Not too sure if you’ve seen or heard the news. An announcement was made today that Betty Laine retired on the 6th January. No permeant replacement as the interview process has yet to commence. 

My daughter got a place at Laines but wanted to do a degree and is in her 2nd year at Urdang. 

17 hours ago, balletbean said:

I suspect this might be a good thing. My DD walked out of her Laine audition, she didn’t like the building or the attitude of the foundation students who were auditioning with her.  

Edited by Pointetoes

1 hour ago, Pointetoes said:

I suspect this might be a good thing. My DD walked out of her Laine audition, she didn’t like the building or the attitude of the foundation students who were auditioning with her.  

For balance, mine liked her Laine audition far more than she was expecting to- it’s now near the top of her list, whereas it was always nearer the bottom prior to the audition.
I know Miss Laine has a very fierce reputation, but again, Dd found her to be lovely. 
I just wonder what impact  her leaving will have on  the course…… 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 08:57, Kendie76 said:

Have you had any news yet? 😊

On 16/01/2022 at 13:03, oliviaT said:

Just an update still heard nothing yet lol. Honestly the wait is horrible. She keeps playing the interview in her head lol and at the end of the interview they said ‘we hope to see you again soon ‘ so that’s her positive but then she’s like maybe it’s a no though lol. 

6 minutes ago, Kendie76 said:

Just an update still heard nothing yet lol. Honestly the wait is horrible. She keeps playing the interview in her head lol and at the end of the interview they said ‘we hope to see you again soon ‘ so that’s her positive but then she’s like maybe it’s a no though lol. 

The waiting is awful, it’s nice that it will be a letter though, there’s something about it being on paper and opening the envelope that’s different to opening an email, plus a parents is usually around when a letter is opened to support either way!

Hopefully Monday will bring you some news 🙂

19 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

The waiting is awful, it’s nice that it will be a letter though, there’s something about it being on paper and opening the envelope that’s different to opening an email, plus a parents is usually around when a letter is opened to support either way!

Hopefully Monday will bring you some news 🙂

Yeah hopefully crossed fingers will keep you informed thanks for your support xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- just wondered if anyone would be willing to share any insight, nuggets of wisdom, or lesser known info on the things to include in the pros & cons list……. we’re in the fortunate position of having a choice between colleges, but I can imagine there being a lot of fact wrangling in order to come up with ‘the one’, as they all seem amazing!! …….. 
Much appreciated!

Edited by Gowiththeflo

2 minutes ago, Gowiththeflo said:

Hi- just wondered if anyone would be willing to share any insight, nuggets of wisdom, or lesser known info on the things to include in the pros & cons list……. we’re in the fortunate position of having a choice between colleges, but I can imagine there being a lot of fact wrangling in order to come up with ‘the one’, as they all seem amazing!! …….. 
Much appreciated!

Which schools do you need to chose from?