MT deg/dip auditions etc for 2022 entry

Gowiththeflo

Hello! Thought I’d start a topic so that all the help/info/advice can all be in one place……. Hope that’s ok!

Dd  is currently in the swing of auditioning for MT degrees to start next Sept. she’s had auditions so far for Urdang, (got a recall) Bird & Laines  (offers at both) . She has Performers in Feb, and may or may not do Italia Conti video auditions in Jan. 😅

She’s obvs in a really lucky position of potentially having a choice, which will entail it’s own problems🙈, so if anyone can offer any practical advice, ( mainly on keeping sane!) over the next couple of months it would be greatly appreciated. 

I will have many more questions I expect, like

-what are the chances of getting a place after a recall audition at Urdang? -*is* Urdang very heavily commercial, as we’ve been led to believe……

anyway, thanks all for your time, and looking forward to some answers!!! 

also if anyone has any questions about the current round of auditions that we’ve already experienced, happy to offer our help! 
☺️

• Like 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've just started looking for Sept 23.

We're only going to be looking at courses that accept the uni funding and DD would rather do a degree MT course.  I've got DD compiling lists/grids with colleges, courses, audition info etc but it's taking a while! 

I'll have hundreds of questions!  But my first is .... if DD is offered a place,  would it/is it possible to defer for a year? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

DD has finished her auditions for 2022 entry offers at:

Bird

NBS

Performers

Stella Mann 

SLP

I cant help with the next steps

but if anyone needs any help re auditions/ applications happy to help, after doing 5 auditions spanning 6 weeks I’d advise spreading it out a bit…

🙈Yes- DD’s first 3 were over 8 days…… & throw in overnight stays the night before too.  I defo think charts helped, with train /hotel details etc too…… helped husband work out what was going on too!! 🤣

hairpinseverywhere where’s her favourite? What’s her background/strengths?? 

My Dd is definitely a dancer first,(ballet/contemporary/jazz/tap/theatrecraft, rather than street/hip hop/commercial etc) singer/actor second. I feel Bird/Laine ( obvs funding issues🙈) might suit her style more than Urdang, but that’s what we really want to find out……. 

Just now, Gowiththeflo said:

🙈Yes- DD’s first 3 were over 8 days…… & throw in overnight stays the night before too.  I defo think charts helped, with train /hotel details etc too…… helped husband work out what was going on too!! 🤣

My Dd is definitely a dancer first,(ballet/contemporary/jazz/tap/theatrecraft, rather than street/hip hop/commercial etc) singer/actor second. I feel Bird/Laine ( obvs funding issues🙈) might suit her style more than Urdang, but that’s what we really want to find out……. 

Hello Gowiththeflo, 3 in 8 days well done to you and your DD!

Dd is a dancer firstly, she sounds similar to your DD, my DD loves ballet but she’s not a ballerina. DD would ideally like to go to either Performers or NBS. 

Yes our spreadsheet helped no end, had the hotels and all the post codes for the sat nav and train info etc on,  along with what length dance / song monologue for each place and the format it was needed in etc we’d have been lost without it I’m sure. 

Urdang does seem like a great choice. DD is 15 presently so only applied for Diplomas. Bird and Laine are also excellent options well done to your DD! I guess it doesn’t hurt to do the recall and see how she gets on from there? Hopefully some experienced readers will be able to offer some knowledge 😊

• Like 2

Are there many colleges that offer degree courses,  that don't require 'top ups' for fees? ( not including accommodation/etc )

And for which students are eligible for student loans? ( like they would for a more usual uni course?)

Edited by Pixiewoo
Added a bit!

11 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Hello Gowiththeflo, 3 in 8 days well done to you and your DD!

Dd is a dancer firstly, she sounds similar to your DD, my DD loves ballet but she’s not a ballerina. DD would ideally like to go to either Performers or NBS. 

Yes our spreadsheet helped no end, had the hotels and all the post codes for the sat nav and train info etc on,  along with what length dance / song monologue for each place and the format it was needed in etc we’d have been lost without it I’m sure. 

Urdang does seem like a great choice. DD is 15 presently so only applied for Diplomas. Bird and Laine are also excellent options well done to your DD! I guess it doesn’t hurt to do the recall and see how she gets on from there? Hopefully some experienced readers will be able to offer some knowledge 😊

Ah yes- the song/dance/monologue requirements seemed complicated at first, but narrowed it down to 1 dance, 2 songs & 2 monologues, so not tooo bad! 
I think Urdang is Dds first choice, so she’ll def do the recall, we both really liked Bird, and Laine was ‘nicer than she was  expecting ‘ . 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pixiewoo said:

Are there many colleges that offer degree courses,  that don't require 'top ups' for fees? ( not including accommodation/etc )

As far as I know Urdang, Bird, Performers, Italia Conti, Guildford all offer degree courses that are covered by student loans. ( and you apply through UCAS as well as with the college directly)  
Laine, Arts Ed, Mountview, London Studio Centre, offer diplomas, that are funded through the Dada system / scholarships/bursaries/private funding system, You can then either pay a top up fee ( or take an extra year )to convert to a degree. 
There will be more colleges, and far more knowledgeable folk than me, but it’s a good starting point when looking 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gowiththeflo said:

As far as I know Urdang, Bird, Performers, Italia Conti, Guildford all offer degree courses that are covered by student loans. ( and you apply through UCAS as well as with the college directly)  
Laine, Arts Ed, Mountview, London Studio Centre, offer diplomas, that are funded through the Dada system / scholarships/bursaries/private funding system, You can then either pay a top up fee ( or take an extra year )to convert to a degree. 
There will be more colleges, and far more knowledgeable folk than me, but it’s a good starting point when looking 

Brilliant! Thank you! That's 3 of DDs favourites covered immediately! 

And none of the others (that are diplomas) are on the list! 

Edited by Pixiewoo

4 hours ago, Gowiththeflo said:

I think that Urdang has this name of being ‘commercial’ but I don’t know why. I think it may depend if you do the diploma or the degree. My daughter is a strong dancer (ballet, contemporary, modern,tap, Classical Greek) but wanted to improve her singing and acting.  She is loving her time at Urdang and is doing all dance genres. She likes the academic side as well. She wanted to be in the thick of it in London and gets to see performances every week. I would focus on what your daughter’s ambition is and what you can afford. She wanted a degree and Urdang is accredited with University of Birmingham. I have no idea about recall chances sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gowiththeflo said:

Hi. I sympathise with you entirely. One audition resulted in us flying home with a practical GCSE exam two hrs after landing! Not that we planned it that way and certainly not recommended. 😳

Woke up for one audition to see the entire area was covered ankle deep in snow! Totally unprepared for that one!

Leather soles boots + snow = 🙈🤣

My youngest DD attended NBS (graduated this summer) with friends at Laine and Birds. All are absolutely excellent but have their own individual identity.
NBS looks like a really good fit for your DD’s skills and preference within their Jazz Focus. 

Birds, Laines and other MT colleges offer the Triple Threat which you are probably aware of . Focusing heavily on the singing and acting alongside the dancing. Whilst NBS also schedule singing lessons into the timetable the main focus is still on the various dancing genres.  
Those two MT colleges named are also huge by comparison. NBS have on average 30 pupils per yr group. We found the school to be very tight-knit whereby everyone knew everyone across the year groups & staff.  Whereby Birds have up to 250 in theirs! I think Laines is around the 100. It can also boil down to what your DD is used to. Large classes/yr groups might not faze her whereby some might find it just too overwhelming. 
The other bonus for NBS is that the accommodation (various Halls) is within a few minutes walk of the Dance House. Saving valuable commuting time and additional travel costs. 

My eldest DD attended Stella Mann a few yrs ago, so I might be able to answer some questions if required. Probably more about the area and accommodation rather than the timetable as I appreciate colleges can change over the years. No Halls just private student rented houses within walking distance. Bedford is very budget friendly town for students.  

☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Th

5 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Hi. I sympathise with you entirely. One audition resulted in us flying home with a practical GCSE exam two hrs after landing! Not that we planned it that way and certainly not recommended. 😳

Woke up for one audition to see the entire area was covered ankle deep in snow! Totally unprepared for that one!

Leather soles boots + snow = 🙈🤣

My youngest DD attended NBS (graduated this summer) with friends at Laine and Birds. All are absolutely excellent but have their own individual identity.
NBS looks like a really good fit for your DD’s skills and preference within their Jazz Focus. 

Birds, Laines and other MT colleges offer the Triple Threat which you are probably aware of . Focusing heavily on the singing and acting alongside the dancing. Whilst NBS also schedule singing lessons into the timetable the main focus is still on the various dancing genres.  
Those two MT colleges named are also huge by comparison. NBS have on average 30 pupils per yr group. We found the school to be very tight-knit whereby everyone knew everyone across the year groups & staff.  Whereby Birds have up to 250 in theirs! I think Laines is around the 100. It can also boil down to what your DD is used to. Large classes/yr groups might not faze her whereby some might find it just too overwhelming. 
The other bonus for NBS is that the accommodation (various Halls) is within a few minutes walk of the Dance House. Saving valuable commuting time and additional travel costs. 

My eldest DD attended Stella Mann a few yrs ago, so I might be able to answer some questions if required. Probably more about the area and accommodation rather than the timetable as I appreciate colleges can change over the years. No Halls just private student rented houses within walking distance. Bedford is very budget friendly town for students.  

☺️

thanks balletbean, that’s really helpful. 
Dd definitely wants to go ‘to London’  (ok read Sidcup/Epsom etc)- she’s done several ballet exams at NBS, as we’re from the northwest, so I don’t think it will be *exciting* enough!!! 🙄

Triple  threat is definitely where she sees herself……. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gowiththeflo said:

Th

thanks balletbean, that’s really helpful. 
Dd definitely wants to go ‘to London’  (ok read Sidcup/Epsom etc)- she’s done several ballet exams at NBS, as we’re from the northwest, so I don’t think it will be *exciting* enough!!! 🙄

Triple  threat is definitely where she sees herself……. 

I totally understand. Several of the pupils lived at home during their time at NBS but somehow managed to spend every spare moment they could with sleepovers in Halls! Probably looking for that ‘excitement’!! 🤣 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

I have a daughter in the first year of an MT degree. 

If she definitely wants to do an MT course but with strong ballet training then Laine and Bird would both fit that well. 

For the person who asked about funding, although the degree courses are eligible for student finance some of the courses do charge extras eg to cover head shots or individual singing lessons - Bird and Wilkes do this, it’s not 1000s but worth checking. Also some (private) degree courses do not offer full student finance so be aware of that too. 

My daughter knows people at most of these places. They are all slightly different. If you are in a position where you have a choice, I think the key is to find the one that suits them best. They all seem to cover more or less the same things but with a different emphasis - eg some are more commercial heavy, some focus more on ballet technique etc 

• Thanks 2

Thank you for starting this thread. I too was following the Notapushymum thread, so this is great. We have only just started the audition process for 2022 degree in take. One audition down so far and the rest next year. Fingers crossed that they are in person and not remotely. Good luck to everyone auditioning.

51 minutes ago, jazzhands said:

Thank you for starting this thread. I too was following the Notapushymum thread, so this is great. We have only just started the audition process for 2022 degree in take. One audition down so far and the rest next year. Fingers crossed that they are in person and not remotely. Good luck to everyone auditioning.

☺️ The convo on NAPM seems to have gone dead doesn’t it? The last comment I can read on the 2022 thread  is from Nov 21st ish….. is that the same for you? 
good luck on your Ds/Dd’s audition journey- where was no1 for, and where have you got lined up for next year?? 

36 minutes ago, Gowiththeflo said:

☺️ The convo on NAPM seems to have gone dead doesn’t it? The last comment I can read on the 2022 thread  is from Nov 21st ish….. is that the same for you? 
good luck on your Ds/Dd’s audition journey- where was no1 for, and where have you got lined up for next year?? 

Yes it seems to have when I can get on the site. I was so grateful for this thread as it’s hard to get much information apart from chatting to a few parents locally. Dd has done Emil Dale already and we have Urdang, Performers, Wilkes, GSA, Laine, Arts Ed and Mountview lined up. She’s a dancer but she has a good voice. 

1 hour ago, jazzhands said:

Yes it seems to have when I can get on the site. I was so grateful for this thread as it’s hard to get much information apart from chatting to a few parents locally. Dd has done Emil Dale already and we have Urdang, Performers, Wilkes, GSA, Laine, Arts Ed and Mountview lined up. She’s a dancer but she has a good voice. 

Ah, so some similarities in there! Dd has really enjoyed her auditions so far- we’ve just got Performers to go beg of Feb, and then the Urdang  recall. She may or may not do Italia Conti, as it’s low on her list, and they’re still video auditions…..🤷🏼‍♀️ 

DD is in her final year at GSA Actor- Muso degree.

Happy  to answer any questions.

She drew a chart and put everywhere she was applying to whether it was a degree or diploma, fees and what funding.

She walked out of auditions because she simply didn’t like the place, couldn’t see the point in going through the day. Ended up with offers from GSA, IAB, MADD, Conti, London College of Music and Arts Ed.Once she got her GSA offer she stopped auditioning, which may sound like we wasted money but GSA was her top choice so we knew there was no point. In fact her UCAS was updated as we were driving into London for her Mountview audition, we simply turned round and went home.

I worked out that including audition  fees, travel and accommodation it cost us around £1000. We didn’t put a limit on where or how many, just wanted her to get it right.

We were very tough with her and said she had to do a degree not a diploma, mainly for funding. She did however get offered a full scholarship for one diploma course. Be aware that Urdang charge extra for the third year show. 

Edited by Pointetoes
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Pointetoes- 

I’m still learning all the abbreviations etc…… where is IAB and MADD? 
Yes, Dd may or may not submit her video audition for Italia conti….. if it were in person, she’d definitely go, but it’s  at the bottom of her list now that she’s done some auditions, ( and has a couple of great offers) so not sure that  she feels she’d gain anything, really……. 

i feel a chart coming on, to weigh everything up!!! 

28 minutes ago, Gowiththeflo said:

Thanks Pointetoes- 

I’m still learning all the abbreviations etc…… where is IAB and MADD? 
Yes, Dd may or may not submit her video audition for Italia conti….. if it were in person, she’d definitely go, but it’s  at the bottom of her list now that she’s done some auditions, ( and has a couple of great offers) so not sure that  she feels she’d gain anything, really……. 

i feel a chart coming on, to weigh everything up!!! 

IAB is Institute of Arts Barcelona and MADD is Midlands Academy of Dance and Drama.

A chart is definitely the way forward, having everything in one places makes it so much easier 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are applying to 8, 5 through UCAS, the diploma at Laines. Arts Ed and Mountview separately. I’m hoping that if you through enough mud at the wall some of it will stick! Here’s hoping any way. I expect if she gets offers at her top two she will also stop and accept those so that she can concentrate on her A-levels. We’ve got a spreadsheet too which is helping with deadlines at least for auditions so she can focus on the one ahead and then move onto the next one. I’ll be relieved when this process is over. 

• Like 4

There was a technical problem on NAPM. No one could post, it’s sorted now. 

re: Urdang. They no longer offer a diploma, only a degree. They have different tracks so you can be on a dancer/singer track or an actor/singer track. 

Although Bird have degree funding with no top ups there are not enough degree places for everyone offered. It’s quite common for someone to apply for degree and be offered Diploma. 

Do go back and look at the NAPM site, now that it is back up and running, as there is so much information on there about musical theatre courses/auditions and there is some misinformation quoted here eg which colleges offer diplomas versus degrees, student numbers, course content, some of which has fortunately been corrected. All the colleges have their own slant on MT including the balance of the three disciplines. Only a handful balance the three disciplines equally - some focus more on dance but still offer a Triple Threat course. There are threads on NAPM about several of the main colleges individually.  The CDMT also offers information and I would  get your dc to contact each college directly (if they or you have questions) as Covid has changed many things over the past couple of years and what was true this year or in 2020 may not be true for the 2022 intake. The colleges are very helpful and you get the information from the horse's mouth. Good luck with the journey everyone! It's an exciting, if somewhat nervewracking one!

• Thanks 1

On 29/12/2021 at 12:15, jazzhands said:

We are applying to 8, 5 through UCAS, the diploma at Laines. Arts Ed and Mountview separately. I’m hoping that if you through enough mud at the wall some of it will stick! Here’s hoping any way. I expect if she gets offers at her top two she will also stop and accept those so that she can concentrate on her A-levels. We’ve got a spreadsheet too which is helping with deadlines at least for auditions so she can focus on the one ahead and then move onto the next one. I’ll be relieved when this process is over. 

Good Luck. It truly is a juggling act.  I hope all works out for you. 🍷🍀😄

• Thanks 1

Hi, I haven’t posted on this forum for a couple of years I think. DD changed her focus from ballet to MT so trying for Urdang, Bird, Central School of speech and drama and Italia Conti this year. Not a success so far - Bird application form, nearly finished suddenly says #error and won’t work 🙄 so we still have no info what to prepare for audition and no audition date. Do you know if they always give you the preferred audition day? My DD hasn’t done any auditions yet, good luck to others auditioning and well done to those who already have offers.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Happymum said:

Hi, I haven’t posted on this forum for a couple of years I think. DD changed her focus from ballet to MT so trying for Urdang, Bird, Central School of speech and drama and Italia Conti this year. Not a success so far - Bird application form, nearly finished suddenly says #error and won’t work 🙄 so we still have no info what to prepare for audition and no audition date. Do you know if they always give you the preferred audition day? My DD hasn’t done any auditions yet, good luck to others auditioning and well done to those who already have offers.

Hi Happymum- Dd was offered an audition date, but couldn’t do it , and we sorted an alternative date easily enough. Bird we’re one of the easiest audition requirements……there was a jazz/contemporary workshop class, prepare a dance solo, 2 contrasting songs, and 2 contrasting monologues. All 1 min in length. I think Dd only had to do 1 song & 1 monologue, ( the others being ‘back ups’). 
she loved the audition - we all got a talk etc beforehand, it was all very lovely. 

I’m running out the door, right now, but happy to answer any other questions you have!! Good luck!!! ☺️

3 hours ago, Gowiththeflo said:

Hi Happymum- Dd was offered an audition date, but couldn’t do it , and we sorted an alternative date easily enough. Bird we’re one of the easiest audition requirements……there was a jazz/contemporary workshop class, prepare a dance solo, 2 contrasting songs, and 2 contrasting monologues. All 1 min in length. I think Dd only had to do 1 song & 1 monologue, ( the others being ‘back ups’). 
she loved the audition - we all got a talk etc beforehand, it was all very lovely. 

I’m running out the door, right now, but happy to answer any other questions you have!! Good luck!!! ☺️

Thank you Gowiththeflo. 
Preparing the solo plus 2 monologues and 2 songs doesn’t sound like the easiest audition? I think Urdang is 1 song, 1 monologue and no solo? I’m surprised there was no ballet class, I thought that Bird is the most dance focused MT college, or together with Urdang. I know there will be ballet class in Urdang. I feel like expert when it comes to ballet school auditions, both for lower and upper school, but MT is a mystery to me. 

20 minutes ago, Happymum said:

Thank you Gowiththeflo. 
Preparing the solo plus 2 monologues and 2 songs doesn’t sound like the easiest audition? I think Urdang is 1 song, 1 monologue and no solo? I’m surprised there was no ballet class, I thought that Bird is the most dance focused MT college, or together with Urdang. I know there will be ballet class in Urdang. I feel like expert when it comes to ballet school auditions, both for lower and upper school, but MT is a mystery to me. 

When DD went to Bird audition they did a brief ballet warm up and said they teach ballet for musical theatre rather than classical ballet. DD wasn’t asked to perform the additional song or monologue but it did take away time from polishing the first choices.

The talk at the start was very thorough and the staff seemed really approachable.

DD said it was a fun day and she really loved the Modern class.🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Happymum said:

Thank you Gowiththeflo. 

Sorry, I didn’t mean ‘easy’ as such ( was rushing to type!) more that there were less ‘restrictions’ in the choices of song & monologue - ( some places require songs to be pre 1965,, or a ballad,  some require monologues to be British or contemporary or whatever; the solo dance can be any style) 

Have just checked with Dd and she did do a short ballet class at Bird. Yes, there’s ballet at the Urdang audition too, and Dd says they ask for 2 contrasting songs at Urdang, but she could choose which  to perform in the audition.

it’s all new to me too!! ☺️

• Thanks 1