Midnight Express - The Ballet!

Peter Schaufuss is bringing his production of Midnight Express (based on the book by Billy Hayes) to the London Coliseum from 9th-14th April 2013. It will be starring Sergei Polunin. The tickets are already on sale:

http://www.eno.org/see-whats-on/productions/production-page.php?&itemid=2362

Having seen the film, the mind boggles on this one!

Good news, sound the trumpets and make mighty Huzzah! Young Polunin will deign to grace our shores once again in a work in which he says he can "genuinely ... believe" - presumably putting behind him at a stroke all that nonsense through which he created his international reputation up the road from the Coliseum.

• Like 2

Wasn't Midnight Express an X-rated film about a horrific Turkish prison which the protaganist was sent to for drug smuggling?

indeed - suddenly makes a MacMillan triple bill of My Brother, My Sisters, Has Hermanas and the Judas Tree seem like a 'nice triple bill for Christmas'...

• Like 1

I think that we should remember that the subject matter of some of, say, MacMillan's ballets was considered very controversial and unsuitable for a ballet when those ballets were first performed. What about The Rite of Spring? I have no objection to the subject matter of this new production. I actually think that it could make a gripping psychological drama but I worry that it might become something rather tawdry and lacking in artistic integrity in Peter Schaufuss' hands, based on his recent Swan Lake.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012/dec/19/sergei-polunin-royal-ballet-star?CMP=twt_gu

John posted the above link in Today's links. I just wanted to say that there is the most dreadful faux pas contained in the article. Midnight Express was made by ALAN PARKER not Oliver Stone! Apallingly inaccurate piece of reporting!

The article is worth a read though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there was little chance of my going, but that Trailer eclipses any lingering possibility. The music and action in such clips is often not well-matched, of course, but just that hint of the likely treatment of the Lachrymosa from Mozart's Requiem convinces me I should put my cash elsewhere. Not my cutting edge, I'm afraid - I've sung it too often to get in Schaufuss' groove.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...