Press Release: DOGWOOF ANNOUNCES 7TH JANUARY UK & IRISH THEATRICAL RELEASE DATE FOR AILEY

image1.thumb.jpeg.62c589a9033b2444a663a88ab68a5d22.jpeg

DOGWOOF ANNOUNCES 7TH JANUARY UK & IRISH

THEATRICAL RELEASE DATE FOR

AILEY

image2.thumb.jpeg.23066d44e7a8e328970fb9986c95c071.jpeg

image3.png.5997541676071452d612f7614fbdbcf2.png

A FILM BY JAMILA WIGNOT

‘A hypnotic, immersive portrait’

INDIEWIRE

‘Wignot layers images, video and - most important - voice-overs from Ailey to create a portrait that feels as poetic and nuanced as choreography itself’

NEW YORK TIMES

Alvin Ailey was a visionary artist who found salvation through dance. Directed by Jamila Wignot, the celebrated documentary is an immersive profile of ground-breaking and influential choreographer Alvin Ailey, founder of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. AILEY captures the brilliant and enigmatic man who, when confronted by a world that refused to embrace him, was determined to build one that would.

Ailey is a sensorial, archival-rich story that traces the full contours of this extraordinary artist’s biography and connects his past to our present with an intimate glimpse into the Ailey studios today, where we follow innovative hip-hop choreographer Rennie Harris as he conceives a new dance inspired by Ailey’s life.

Using never-before-heard audio interviews recorded in the last year of his life, we experience Ailey’s astonishing journey in his words.

Ailey is released in UK & Irish cinemas 7th January 2022

Certificate TBC / Running time 90 Minutes

AileyFilm.co.uk

About Dogwoof

Founded in 2003 by Andy Whittaker, Dogwoof is a London-based, documentary film company integrating production, sales, and UK theatrical distribution. Dogwoof has so far released 28 Oscar®-nominated documentaries, with four wins and an additional three BAFTA winners; notable titles include Oscar®-winning and BAFTA-winning Free Solo (the UK's highest grossing documentary of 2018), Oscar®-nominated RBG, BAFTA-winning The Act of Killing and Blackfish. Recent releases have included 2021 double-Oscar® nominated and BAFTA nominated Collective; 2021 Oscar® nominated The Mole Agent (also represented by Dogwoof Sales); double Oscar®-nominated Honeyland, and BAFTA-nominated Apollo 11(the UK’s highest grossing doc of 2019). Dogwoof premiered six projects in Sundance 2021; Playing with Sharks (a Dogwoof /TDog Production), Sabaya (winner of the World Documentary Directing prize), Philly D.A., Captains of Zaatari, Seeds of Deceit, and Ailey. Dogwoof's TDog production investment fund has currently five features and two series currently in production; the fund is focused on feature docs, docu-series, and remake rights, gearing up the company towards vertical integration.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Drat.  I can't work out whether these are all one-offs, or whether there will be other, non-Q&A, showings at the cinemas listed.  Most of my usual suspects aren't on the list - and if I'd known it was going to be on at Wimbledon I wouldn't have gone there last week ...  Not sure I can take the time off work now :( 

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Drat.  I can't work out whether these are all one-offs, or whether there will be other, non-Q&A, showings at the cinemas listed.  Most of my usual suspects aren't on the list - and if I'd known it was going to be on at Wimbledon I wouldn't have gone there last week ...  Not sure I can take the time off work now :( 

I know it's not the same as a cinema viewing but it will also be available to hire on demand from Friday:

https://watch.dogwoof.com/film/ailey/

• Thanks 1