Press Release: New Digital Season from Northern Ballet

GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX

6 December 2021

New Digital Season from Northern Ballet

Riku Ito in I AM MER-LIN. Photo Lottie Maher.

Autumn Digital Season December 2021

Northern Ballet is launching a new season of digital dance including the online release of David Nixon OBE’s Dangerous Liaisons and the first two films in a series inspired by the Company's on-stage productions. Northern Ballet's digital works are released with audio description provided by VocalEyes.

All films will be released on digitaldance.org, and the Company will also release some behind the scenes content to accompany the films and enhance the audience experience. 

Tuesday 14 December | KIN (Première)

Kenneth Tindall and Dan Lowenstein (EGO and Northern Lights) have collaborated for a third time to create KIN with an original score by Alexandra Harwood (Geisha). KIN explores the darker themes of loss and grief found in David Nixons Swan Lake. 
Dancers: Abigail Prudames, Joseph Taylor, Lorenzo Trossello

Friday 17 December | I AM MER-LIN (Première)

Inspired by the legend of Merlin (also the inspiration for Drew McOnie’s Merlin, toured by Northern Ballet in autumn 2021), choreographer Charlotte Edmonds has created an original dance film to a poem by Sean Mahoney. I AM MER-LIN is about the discovery of identity and leans into the mythology of wizards and demons as a metaphorical reflection of the choices we make. 
Dancer: Riku Ito

Tuesday 7 December | Dangerous Liaisons

Northern Ballet’s film of David Nixon’s Dangerous Liaisons was filmed entirely in-house and shown in cinemas earlier this year. This boddice-ripping ballet, based on the book by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, will now be hosted online behind a paywall for the first time.

For details of all Northern Ballet’s available and upcoming digital works see digitaldance.org

Kenneth Tindall, Northern Ballet’s Artistic Director of Digital, said: "This next season of digital work from Northern Ballet is particularly exciting as it directly connects our digital dance platform and live performances. The stage works Swan Lake and Merlin have provided a stepping point of creativity for the new short films, and the online stream of Dangerous Liaisons showcases the talent of our whole company in what is a cinema-standard film capture."

Charlotte Edmonds said: Directing and choreographing I AM MER-LIN was an introspective and affirmational experience. Like many others, I have struggled with ideas surrounding identify and self and for me art is a means of self-expression and discovery. The work is a reflection of the creative intelligence of the collaborators and enthusiasm and passion from Northern Ballet to create a digital interpretation of the mythology of Merlin.

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

Northern Ballet Autumn Digital Season Release Dates:

Tuesday 7 December  Dangerous Liaisons

Tuesday 14 December – KIN

Friday 17 December  I AM MER-LIN    

Northern Ballet

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and impressive storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing ballet to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 40 venues annually.

Launched in 2019, Northern Ballet’s digital dance platform ensures more people can access their work, from full-length films of popular ballets through to exciting short dance films by up-and-coming choreographers and filmmakers. Visit digitaldance.org to discover more.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson

A screenshot of a cell phone  Description automatically generated