Jewels in Munich - Shale Wagman's debut in Rubies

On November 27, 2021 I was lucky to see a fierce Shale Wagman debut in Balanchine's Rubies, as second part of the famous Jewels ballet. Shale partnered Carrolina Bastos who performed this for the first time as well.
Both were on fire, and had a good chemistry. I loved their witty, sexy flirts, performed with great energy and flexibility. From my point of view, this piece fits like a glove for Shale, since with his experiences in all kinds of dance long before he took lessons at he APG school, he knows how to switch on also "jazzy moves" for Stravinsky's tunes. Again, my first thought was: gosh he OWNS the stage. The jumps, as high as flexible. Twirling like a red flash while turning and crossing the stage. And the looks he gave Carrolina - challenging, enjoying, loving, and flirting, all was there for this witty sexy Rubies couple. I also liked the part where he literally kicks his feet at the other male dancers and chases them across the stage.
Thunderous rounds of applause were the reward for this awesome debut. Lots of Bravos, the loudest coming from some rows behind me where Shale's Mother screamed. She had come all the way from Canada to see him finally perform at Bayerisches Staatsballett.
I had the feeling everybody gave their best with the applause and trample to spread love, energy and gratitude to these wonderful dancers, actually for all 3 parts of Jewels, since only 25% tickets were sold due to Corona restrictions.

I would also like to say some words about Emeralds and Diamonds from this night. Vera Segova debuted in Emeralds alongside Vladislav Dolgikh. She was very delicate, elegant and performed the soft elegiac tone in perfection. Vladislav was a good partner for her. A detail that catched my eyes: he has a wonderful way to point out his feet and to set the foot on the floor so elegant and soft, it made me think  of Hallberg's beautiful feet. They were wonderful together.
Bianca Teixeira, Antonio Casalinho and M. Fernandez performed the Pas de Trois. A good trio, both in technique and synchronicity, led by by A. Casalinho.
Madison Young and Jinhao Zhang were the Diamonds solo couple. Madison Young is just as elegant as soft especially in her port de bras, as you want yo see it. And I want to see her Odette! Soon hopefully. As for Jinhao Zhang: he is a perfect partner for her, presenting his ballerina in the best supporting way, and performed superbe jumps and maneges in his solos.

Since I saw the performance on Sunday again I can also report another debut: Elvina Ibraimova debuted as Soloist in Rubies. Her performance was much more energetic and eye-catching than Prisca Zeisel's the night before.

Some general remarks: every evening, some 30 anti-vaxxers demonstrate in front of Bayerische Staatsoper since it's a prominent area with a square. They make a lot of noise with speeches and music. They did so while we entered the building. It made me so furious I wanted to scream in their faces. Also on Sunday morning was another demo not far from the Opera House.
The performances are still going on, with 25% tickets to be sold. But the dancers are very concerned. It felt awkward to get a test to enter a theatre. To present your vaccination certificate, personal ID and the test to strangers (at entrance). No, I am still not used to it. But I would present them my first tooth I lost as a child if it would get me into the theatre. I was beyond grateful for some beautiful hours, keeping the madness outside. I knock on wood and pray that they can continue to perform.

Link to Shale's Instagram post about the debut. Sadly, my own pics and videos are a mess. I was too nervous.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW08rqIsvOM/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 12

Thank you for this super report.   I feel like I was there … and the clip are marvellous too.  Shale comes alive when he is on stage.  I can’t wait to see, or at least to hear more.

I will, again, bemoan the late announcements of castings in Munich.  How are we to arrange trips to see him, never mind procuring tickets.  Sigh.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FionaE said:

Thank you for this super report.   I feel like I was there … and the clip are marvellous too.  Shale comes alive when he is on stage.  I can’t wait to see, or at least to hear more.

I will, again, bemoan the late announcements of castings in Munich.  How are we to arrange trips to see him, never mind procuring tickets.  Sigh.  

Yeah it's a mess with casting. And even if the dancers know their performance sooner, it's still not set. Happened to me twice this year. If it helps a bit, I am sure the Ballet week in March brings him onstage for some performances. 

• Like 1

A great review Sabine so glad you enjoyed it so much. Did you get a chance to see Shale this time or has Covid stopped this for now? 
As soon as things get a lot easier for travel

abroad ....I just won’t travel at the moment and haven’t since March 2020 for fear of suddenly having to end up in a quarantine hotel without warning.....then I’d love to go to Munich to see Shale and this Company perform and the theatre looks lovely too. 
I think it’s better to risk in the summer though when less illness generally going around. 

Thanks Linda. Of course I met Shale after the shows. 

BTW I just got an email from Staatsballett saying that the Cinderella livestream is not going to happen on Friday Dec 3rd. Shifted to March 22. Some cast members are injured. But the performance is still goodnight to go. Maybe Shale will be doing "Ben", that's why I was looking forward to the livestream 😭 .

Well, at least they're performing and his Mom can see him onstage once again.❤

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 22:33, Sabine0308 said:

On November 27, 2021 I was lucky to see a fierce Shale Wagman debut in Balanchine's Rubies, as second part of the famous Jewels ballet. Shale partnered Carrolina Bastos who performed this for the first time as well.
Both were on fire, and had a good chemistry. I loved their witty, sexy flirts, performed with great energy and flexibility. From my point of view, this piece fits like a glove for Shale, since with his experiences in all kinds of dance long before he took lessons at he APG school, he knows how to switch on also "jazzy moves" for Stravinsky's tunes. Again, my first thought was: gosh he OWNS the stage. The jumps, as high as flexible. Twirling like a red flash while turning and crossing the stage. And the looks he gave Carrolina - challenging, enjoying, loving, and flirting, all was there for this witty sexy Rubies couple. I also liked the part where he literally kicks his feet at the other male dancers and chases them across the stage.
Thunderous rounds of applause were the reward for this awesome debut. Lots of Bravos, the loudest coming from some rows behind me where Shale's Mother screamed. She had come all the way from Canada to see him finally perform at Bayerisches Staatsballett.
I had the feeling everybody gave their best with the applause and trample to spread love, energy and gratitude to these wonderful dancers, actually for all 3 parts of Jewels, since only 25% tickets were sold due to Corona restrictions.

I would also like to say some words about Emeralds and Diamonds from this night. Vera Segova debuted in Emeralds alongside Vladislav Dolgikh. She was very delicate, elegant and performed the soft elegiac tone in perfection. Vladislav was a good partner for her. A detail that catched my eyes: he has a wonderful way to point out his feet and to set the foot on the floor so elegant and soft, it made me think  of Hallberg's beautiful feet. They were wonderful together.
Bianca Teixeira, Antonio Casalinho and M. Fernandez performed the Pas de Trois. A good trio, both in technique and synchronicity, led by by A. Casalinho.
Madison Young and Jinhao Zhang were the Diamonds solo couple. Madison Young is just as elegant as soft especially in her port de bras, as you want yo see it. And I want to see her Odette! Soon hopefully. As for Jinhao Zhang: he is a perfect partner for her, presenting his ballerina in the best supporting way, and performed superbe jumps and maneges in his solos.

Since I saw the performance on Sunday again I can also report another debut: Elvina Ibraimova debuted as Soloist in Rubies. Her performance was much more energetic and eye-catching than Prisca Zeisel's the night before.

Some general remarks: every evening, some 30 anti-vaxxers demonstrate in front of Bayerische Staatsoper since it's a prominent area with a square. They make a lot of noise with speeches and music. They did so while we entered the building. It made me so furious I wanted to scream in their faces. Also on Sunday morning was another demo not far from the Opera House.
The performances are still going on, with 25% tickets to be sold. But the dancers are very concerned. It felt awkward to get a test to enter a theatre. To present your vaccination certificate, personal ID and the test to strangers (at entrance). No, I am still not used to it. But I would present them my first tooth I lost as a child if it would get me into the theatre. I was beyond grateful for some beautiful hours, keeping the madness outside. I knock on wood and pray that they can continue to perform.

Link to Shale's Instagram post about the debut. Sadly, my own pics and videos are a mess. I was too nervous.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW08rqIsvOM/?utm_medium=copy_link

Great to hear that Shale Wagman and Jinhao Zhang, whom I remember from their performances with English National Ballet, are doing so well in lead roles in Jewels in Munich. Thanks, Sabine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2021 at 12:10, Emeralds said:

Great to hear that Shale Wagman and Jinhao Zhang, whom I remember from their performances with English National Ballet, are doing so well in lead roles in Jewels in Munich. Thanks, Sabine. 

Off topic because it's Cinderella but Jinhao and Shale danced together as Prince Guillaume and his friend Ben last Sunday. Nice pictures here: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXbqG32LDW4/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1

Since I don't know where to put this without opening a new topic, I leave this info here:

There is a 4 pages article about Shale Wagman in the Winter edition of Dance for You magazine.  It brought to me great joy after a long day at work yesterday, when I received the copy. Basically it's an interview, with wonderful stage and rehearsal pictures.

Link to beginning of the article, unfortunately a subscription is required to read the entire thing. Or you buy a hard copy😀

https://www.danceforyou-magazine.com/2021/12/15/shale-wagman-my-european-dream

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 2

Or alternatively … sign up to join the London Ballet Circle zoom talks …  the next one is with Friedemann Vogel on 12 January, and the one after that is 7 February with Shale Wagman and Antonio Casalinho together.  

Membership is open to anyone, and talks happen monthly … typically 2 of 3 each quarter are via Zoom, the other is in person in London.  All talks are followed up with written reports.  

The talks are always fascinating and the annual membership is a bargain!  

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/pages/27-upcoming-events

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1