As its nearly Christmas - it must be (Royal Ballet) Nutcracker time!

Oh, that's right, but does she dream, imagine or actually experience everything else? It's a few years since I've seen the RB's Nutcracker and I'll have to pay close attention when I see it in January. Emma-Jane Maguire and Alex Campbell are part of the cast which I am seeing. They look good together and make a very handsome pair.

its a dream - as no time passes at the midnight hour, and everything is drawn from what she sees at the party - the cake is the land of sweets, the national characters appeared with St nicholas, the hero was the Nutcracker doll..... but then, there is the necklace!!!! So WAS it a dream??? :-) :-)

• Like 1

Saw this last night at the cinema, it was really like being at the ROH, I liked the way the camera stayed in place all through the interval looking down into the auditorium, first time I've ever seen the view from the Grand Tier! Watching ballet on any screen is always a compromise but a lovely way to bring it to a huge world-wide audience, only a small cinema but nearly full last night, what a luxury to be able to stay until the very end, saunter out into the night and get home within an hour!

No technical faults at all, good sound quality, just thought the picture was a little dull, although I know this is a well lit production. We were handed a cast sheet on entrance to the cinema but lights kept down all the time so couldn't read it, recognised most dancers anyway. Steven McRae's solo's were especially thrilling to see close up, perfect, and I enjoyed Melissa Hamilton and Ryoichi Hirano too, but I thought everyone danced well, a very joyous night!

• Like 1

Disappointingly, the cinema I was in was only about 1/3rd full,

Lucky you. My local was sold out days in advance, and the next-nearest virtually so, too. Not that I was intending to go anyway, but I bet there were some people who were disappointed. Do you mean that Vue have started taking the relays up?

On a more positive footnote: Ryoichi Hirano’s calm and authoratitve presence as one of the three men in the Arabian dance really stood out – principal roles surely can’t be far away.

They've already been: he danced the Prince in Pagodas last season. Not to mention the 2nd movement in Concerto on the last couple of runs.

Lucky you. My local was sold out days in advance, and the next-nearest virtually so, too. Not that I was intending to go anyway, but I bet there were some people who were disappointed. Do you mean that Vue have started taking the relays up?

Yes, the one down near Ikea off Purley Way. It wasn't that busy full stop, being a Thursday. its only 10mins walk away for me! :-)

Ugh. Really wouldn't fancy that one at night - it's a long walk back to the tramstop.

They are really erratic about such things. I remember they did some early ballet screenings - always in the afternoon, hardly a good time to get people in - and a friend was complaining about how empty it was. Then I think they stopped. If they've started up again, that's good, but they need to get the word round (as I keep saying about all the cinema chains).

I tried to see the Nutcracker at a Vue cinema but got there to find it was sold out - that'll teach me to pre book!!! Fantastic for ballet and ROH but I was SO disapoonted for me to have to miss it - sadly there is no repeat either which I beleive there is in some cinemas. On a happier note thought I have found a cinema even nearer to me that is now showing all the ROH opera nad ballet ( althought hey did not have Swan Lake or Nutcracker so maybe just signed up?)and they have the Paris Opera Don Q on Tuesday - just a pity I am in Paris on that day and will have to miss it typical LOL! I think it is great that the cinema viewings seem to be catching on.

Great pics Dave - thank you !

Edited by Don Q Fan

The Bolshoi's Nutcracker (dating from 2010) is being shown in cinemas tomorrow. It's a shame that it's not live but I thought that I might go and see it just to compare it with the RB's, ENB's, and Neumeier's which I saw on Thursday (livestream). I hope that I'm not going to be disappointed. At £20, plus a booking fee of £1.60, it's quite expensive, but it's not as expensive as going to Moscow! I probably wouldn't go and see the RB in the cinema as, living in London, I could see it more cheaply live.

On a happier note thought I have found a cinema even nearer to me that is now showing all the ROH opera nad ballet ( althought hey did not have Swan Lake or Nutcracker so maybe just signed up?)and they have the Paris Opera Don Q on Tuesday

It may be that they've only recently installed the live-broadcast equipment: my local only started back in the spring, because they didn't have the wherewithal before that. Is it a chain which is showing the POB Don Q? I'd be interested in that one ...

Aileen, I hope you're not disappointed, too. Actually, since you say it's an old recording, I think £20 is extortionate - and am planning to write to Picturehouse sometime and tell them so. When I saw the last non-live POB recording of La Bayadère over the summer, it cost me £12, I think, so a 66% increase is unacceptable - and unjustifiable, since they don't need any particular equipment for it. In my experience, Odeons are rather cheaper, although it depends on the branch.

Sorry, /rant

After the Google's Nutcracker Anniversary Doodle a few days back, a routine email tells me that Classic FM has had a poster for the ballet designed:

http://assets.gcstatic.com/u/apps/asset_manager/uploaded/2012/51/nutcracker-themed-poster-1355852044.jpg?1355852857

I'm not at all sure which version has provided the inspiration here, but I rather doubt that it was Peter Wright's.

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard from friend watching Nutcracker at the ROH today - some technical hitches with the stage manager coming on just before the battle scene, so missing the usual dolls house entrance. Also apparently Melissa Hamilton was meant to be the Sugar Plum Fairy but it's Yehui instead.

Anyone else there today?

I'm afraid there were technical problems again with the tree at today's performance, though I was told by stage crew that it had worked fine during earlier tests. A case of stage fright?!? The show had to be stopped and the curtain closed while it was raised up.

Melissa Hamilton was replaced as Rose Fairy by Claire Calvert.

Oh dear.

It struck me last night that I think I've managed to have a completely RB-Nutcracker-free 2012 (my last being on New Year's Eve 2011), which is a considerable achievement :) Slightly a shame that I broke my duck by going to see ENB's instead :)

• Like 1

I'd go as far as saying young Francesca Hayward's Clara was amongst the best I've seen it performed. Dancing the steps was spot on - but she also 'inhabited' the role exceptionally well. The way she teased her brother with the Nutcracker doll, looked actually like teasing, rather than just doing the steps; and the reactions of glee at the teasing, then dismay when losing the doll, as well as the joy in act 2, the fear in the battle - all excellent! Think we'll be seeing more of this young dancer before very long.

• Like 6