Possible tube strike on Friday 26th November (and other dates)?

I just received an email from TFL with the  announcement copied below. Those heading for Ballet Icons at the Coliseum this Friday (or indeed Macbeth at ROH or other shows in town) might want to plan around this disagreeable possibility:

Industrial action is planned by the RMT union on the Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines all day on Friday 26 November and Saturday 18 December. 

If the RMT goes ahead with its action, it could mean a significantly reduced service on these lines all day with little or no service in places. It is also likely to mean much busier services on the Tube lines that are not affected by the strike (Bakerloo, Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan) as customers seek alternative routes. Thameslink services and buses through central London are also expected to be busier than normal.

And of course this may impact on Nutcrackers at ROH and the Coliseum on Saturday 18th December as well, but this is less urgent. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

Just noticed a further twist, which would impact on e.g. the evening of Saturday 27 November (so far there is no indication on the TfL website that these strikes are not going to go ahead):

Evening and overnight strikes - Central and Victoria lines

These strikes will affect evening and night services on the Central and Victoria lines only.

Strike dates

Strikes are planned for the following dates from 20:30 until 04:29 the next day27 November, 3 December, 4 December10 December, 11 December17 December.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Possible tube strike on Friday 26th November (and other dates)?

Oh no I thought it was just the 26th Nov and 18th December. 
Those other strikes could affect several plans ....not that I use the tube so much but it means buses will be full and roads very busy etc for timings 😱 

While I don't think the strike dates announced so far will affect me, if the unions continue like this then I'll be even more glad that I'm walking from Kings Cross to the ROH and back rather than going near the tube. It was in fact a tube strike about 4 or 5 years ago which showed me how walkable it is from the station into the West End, so I suppose in one way I should be grateful to tube strikes! Since then I've walked many times, at first to save money & recently to try to reduce the covid risk.

• Like 1

@LinMMTrue it's not always possible. I have a ticket for a concert at Cadogan Hall, rescheduled to this Sunday from 2020, which I won't be attending because it's nearly 4 miles from Kings Cross, which I feel is too far to walk on my own at night. Fortunately the ROH is pretty central so I would think it's walkable from most of the main London stations (not sure about Paddington, I've never walked there).

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

. Fortunately the ROH is pretty central so I would think it's walkable from most of the main London stations (not sure about Paddington, I've never walked there).

I've always walked from Paddington to Covent Garden since the start of the pandemic. Very doable if you're able and used to walking. If it's daylight I tend to take a lovely scenic route through Hyde Park, Green Park and St James's Park. As it happens I ran back that way after the performance this afternoon (simply because I didn't have time for my usual Wednesday morning run before heading to London) and my GPS watch tells me that it's 5.5km that way. Looking at the map I think a more direct route might be at least a kilometre shorter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

Assuming one *can* walk, without pain/mobility aids. 🙁 Let’s just hope the strike on 18th gets called off, otherwise I’ll have to reconsider the Nutcracker matinée. 

Sorry, I should have said walkable for those with normal walking capabilities.

• Like 1

I much prefer buses but yes, they're not always an option - if I'm working, even with the train running on time and clocking off strictly at 4pm I can't be at Paddington before about 6.10pm - not enough time to be confident that a bus will make its way through London traffic in time for a 7.30pm show. (I learned this lesson by being very nearly late for a performance.)

p.s. I feel like I'm forever scolding people about this stuff, but I so often read things here that assume that people live in London/don't have a full-time job or young children/can afford to sit in the stalls!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I much prefer buses but yes, they're not always an option - if I'm working, even with the train running on time and clocking off strictly at 4pm I can't be at Paddington before about 6.10pm - not enough time to be confident that a bus will make its way through London traffic in time for a 7.30pm show. (I learned this lesson by being very nearly late for a performance.)

you must be chomping at the bit for Crossrail (Elizabeth Line) to open next year (we hope!). Paddington to Tottenham Court Rd in about 10-15 mins, I reckon, then a stroll through the side streets into the Covent Garden area...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

you must be chomping at the bit for Crossrail (Elizabeth Line) to open next year (we hope!). Paddington to Tottenham Court Rd in about 10-15 mins, I reckon, then a stroll through the side streets into the Covent Garden area...

I've grown old waiting for it!

• Like 3

On 24/11/2021 at 08:35, Geoff said:

Just noticed a further twist, which would impact on e.g. the evening of Saturday 27 November (so far there is no indication on the TfL website that these strikes are not going to go ahead):

Evening and overnight strikes - Central and Victoria lines

These strikes will affect evening and night services on the Central and Victoria lines only.

Strike dates

Strikes are planned for the following dates from 20:30 until 04:29 the next day27 November, 3 December, 4 December10 December, 11 December17 December.

Thanks Geoff. I’ll bear that in mind and warn a friend who uses the Tube on those lines. I don’t need the Tube myself on those days, but the buses and trains might be packed as a result. 

• 2 weeks later...

Industrial action is planned by the RMT union this weekend.

If this goes ahead:

• Central and Victoria lines could be disrupted from 19:00 on Friday 17 December, with little or no service through the night
  • From 04:30 on Saturday 18 December, the Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines will be severely disrupted, with little or no service in places throughout the day
  • Services through the night on the Central and Victoria line will also be disrupted on 18 December
  • Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines may also be disrupted on the morning of 19 December

If the RMT goes ahead with its action, it is also likely to mean much busier services on the Tube lines that are not affected by the strike (Bakerloo, Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan) as customers seek alternative routes.  Buses through central London, and Network Rail services into the capital, are also expected to be busier than normal.

The West End, Stratford and Shepherd's Bush are expected to be extremely busy during the strike action. Customers who need to travel using TfL services are advised to check before they travel, allow more time for their journey and travel at quieter times where possible. Customers in central London are advised to walk or cycle all or part of their journeys where possible if the planned action goes ahead.

Those arriving into London via National Rail stations are encouraged to complete journeys on foot or by using Santander Cycles, as buses from these stations will be busier than normal.

Customers travelling to/from Heathrow are advised to use TfL Rail services from Paddington or third-party coach services available from Victoria Coach Station. Heathrow Express services are also available between Paddington and Heathrow but standard Heathrow Express fares will apply, check www.heathrowexpress.com before travelling.

Customers must continue to wear a face covering on our services and in stations for the duration of their journey unless they are exempt. We are very grateful to the overwhelming majority of customers who have been complying with this requirement.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Information Team
Transport for London