What to wear to the ballet in Munich?

I noticed on my last visit to Munich that people tend to dress up more there for the ballet than in, say, Stuttgart. I was there for the ballet week, but not for the gala. Has anyone been to the annual Terpsichore gala there? Do people get really dressed up for that? e.g. evening attire? I'm taking 20 people and I don't want them to feel uncomfortable because they are underdressed.

Dear Katherine, you're right, in Munich they dress up a little more than in Stuttgart or Hamburg, especially for premieres or galas, but on the other hand it's no problem to go in casual clothes. Nobody will make you feel uncomfortable (like they would f.e. at the Salzburg Festival). So if your 20 people like to dress up, the Terpsichore gala is a perfect occasion, but there's really no need, the audience in Munich is fine with almost everything.

You'll see many Dirndls at a Munich premiere, not the usual Oktoberfest Dirndls, but the gala Dirndls. Please beware from Lederhosen for the men in your company! ;)

Totally agree with Angela. Munich is smart but there seems to be no animosity towards those who choose more casual. They seem to automatically be a little less formal for contemporary than Classical. Unlike Vienna where they were very disapproving of anything even the slightest bit casual.

I was there 2 weeks ago and one side the people were beautifully dressed, almost cocktail dresses but the lady on the other side was in jeans. Now admittedly one does not see many in jeans. However I can say I have never felt anything but relaxed and welcome. People are helpful.

I dress smartly but TBH it is one chance I have to put the gladrags on:-) So I'd recommend smart but don't worry.

Julie

Thanks Julie and Angela. I myself don't worry too much about being underdressed but one of the gentlemen on my trip last year was dismayed because he hadn't brought a suit and tie (me having told him that it was ok to dress more casually), even for the non-gala performances which we attended. It wasn't because of anything the Munchners said or did, he just felt that he should have dressed up more. And yes, I do love seeing the fancy dirndls in the audience!