Sourcing ballet dancer photos/prints to purchase

With Christmas coming up, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any web sites where  ballet dancer photos/ prints can be purchased (framed or unframed)? I can't seem to find much of a choice, and nothing really for the Royal Ballet, even on the ROH shop which is pretty useless to say the least! 

• Like 2

Oh for the return of the Ballet Book Shop which used to be in Cecil Court I think the cut through is called from St Martin’s Lane to Charing Cross road ....they always seemed to have a great selection of individual photos of particularly RB dancers but not exclusively. I’ve still got my one of a very young Wayne Eagling a friend bought me for my birthday back in the 70’s!! 
It is a shame that the current ROH shop couldn't stock some nice piccies of the Company dancers at least maybe it’s too complicated these days. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, prs59 said:

Another thought…. Lachlan Monaghan of BRB is also a photographer. He had an exhibition. You could contact him via Instagram @Lachlense.Photography 

Lachlan is a brilliant photographer.  I bought one of the prints from his exhibition and I just love it.

His website seems to be down.  Of course he concentrates on BRB.

• Like 2

FWIW last year I bought the book-form diary from the ROH shop (mainly because I misread the website and I thought I was buying a wall calendar). It is full of lovely full-page colour photos which I ended up cutting out with a Stanley knife and buying matching frames to put up in the hallway. I have bought next year's diary as well so I can update the frames I have with new photos in the same size when I feel like it :)

IMG_8515.jpg

• Like 11

Thank you everyone for all these kind suggestions! I will give it further thought and investigation of what may be out there. Rob's pictures are wonderful but, of necessity,  are not  action shots, which is what I was thinking of really! I was hoping for a choice of shots/poses  somewhere, of various potential dancers  from which to choose.  I do have the diary, so Sophie_B's idea is a good one...

Sophie B are the photos on good quality photographic paper or more magazine-y quality if you get my meaning. 
There’s nothing quite like having that individual print in your hand. 
Rob S some of your curtain call pictures are real gems ...don’t tempt me if you are thinking of starting to sell them!! 
But I don’t know the ins and outs of rules surrounding photograph sales for these days. 

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I wonder if Rachel Hollings sells prints? I think her photos come nearest to capturing what we see on stage and behind the scenes for the Royal Ballet (as well as her wider interests). Her photos certainly brighten my day.

Yes, I think her photos are magnificent. She's a terrific photographer and really imaginative.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Rob S some of your curtain call pictures are real gems ...don’t tempt me if you are thinking of starting to sell them!! 
But I don’t know the ins and outs of rules surrounding photograph sales for these days. 

I don't plan to sell any as I don't know the ins and outs either.

I must say I’d be very tempted myself if she sold prints: Anna-Rose O’Sullivan in Tchaikovsky Balanchine pdd, where Rachel captures her costume swirling at such speed, would be high on my list. And recent photos of the Wilis on stage and in the wings really complement seeing Giselle in the theatre. I’m just delighted that Rachel is so generous in sharing her artistry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

I don't plan to sell any as I don't know the ins and outs either.

Nor do I, but I have read the T&Cs for various sports events, which I suspect are similar, and I think they prohibit people from using their photos for any sort of commercial purpose without specific authorisation.

Here are two providers from whom I have purchased photos in the past:

https://www.photographybyash.co.uk/index

https://www.sian-trenberth.com/

and a third who also appears to sell her work:

https://www.dasawharton.com/

All three have an amount of ENB material but Dasa Wharton has recently been taking images backstage at The Royal Ballet as well.

Dancer's Diary appears to be mainly on Instagram but he does give a contact # 07595259511 and I am pretty sure that he sells to dancers.

• Like 3

On 20/11/2021 at 17:07, LinMM said:

Sophie B are the photos on good quality photographic paper or more magazine-y quality if you get my meaning. 
There’s nothing quite like having that individual print in your hand. 

It's pretty good quality in that the pages are a decent thickness (bit thicker than a magazine but thinner than a poster?) and the quality of the images is good, but it's obviously not meant to be displayed necessarily so I don't know if the photos will fade over time at all. For the £12 or so I paid for the diary (less in the sale last year) it seems like a good deal! (The blurriness of the pictures in my photo is mostly due to me compressing the image so it would let me upload)

Edited by Sophie_B
  • Like 1

Alastair Muir has been mentioned before on the Forum and after reading about him here I bought several ballet mugs for gifts (and for myself!) He does photos as well. Below is his homepage where he has links to theatre and opera photos as well as ballet. If you click on Ballet he has sections on Dance, Royal Ballet and ENB. Having said that, it's a while since I bought any and I seem to remember you just clicked on a picture and the options came up as to what was available. Now, it doesn't seem as clear. Perhaps try emailing him if you fancy any; alastair@alastairmuir.com 

https://photos.alastairmuir.com/

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Alastair Muir has been mentioned before on the Forum and after reading about him here I bought several ballet mugs for gifts (and for myself!) He does photos as well. Below is his homepage where he has links to theatre and opera photos as well as ballet. If you click on Ballet he has sections on Dance, Royal Ballet and ENB. Having said that, it's a while since I bought any and I seem to remember you just clicked on a picture and the options came up as to what was available. Now, it doesn't seem as clear. Perhaps try emailing him if you fancy any; alastair@alastairmuir.com 

If you click on the image you want, there is a tag at the bottom of the description eg image.png.fa4a7b1008e734bfbc9a289fdf8dfd6d.png . Click on this and it will take you to the image again with a link to purchase in the upper right corner image.png.08aa2891d688469be3b1dac7326716d9.png

3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Thank you  so much - this is just the sort of source I was hoping to find.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oncnp said:

If you click on the image you want, there is a tag at the bottom of the description eg image.png.fa4a7b1008e734bfbc9a289fdf8dfd6d.png . Click on this and it will take you to the image again with a link to purchase in the upper right corner image.png.08aa2891d688469be3b1dac7326716d9.png

Sorry all - spoke too soon. It doesn't appear to work. I tried ordering a number of items and keep getting "Item not for sale". I have an e-mail in to him to see if he sells by another method.

Edited by oncnp