Royal Opera: Macbeth

JohnS

A bonus in seeing Giselle on Friday was to go to the Macbeth General Rehearsal on Saturday morning. I hadn’t seen Macbeth since Muti conducted back in the early 1980s and I think I saw a later revival of that production. Very impressive musically and for the most part I enjoyed the production. I just wish the designer hadn’t gone quite so overboard with the golds and bling for the Macbeths which (I understand) would have looked way too outlandish on ‘Strictly’. Macbeth is being streamed from 26 November and will be well worth seeing. Dark glasses recommended for the Macbeths’ coronation - unless you’re watching in black and white.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very much enjoyed Macbeth last night in the theatre. The performance was live-streamed so I’ll be keen to catch it later when back home. Very strong musically: Macbeth SIMON KEENLYSIDE, Lady Macbeth ANNA PIROZZI, and Banquo GÜNTHER GROISSBÖCK, with DANIELE RUSTIONI conducting. I still find the Macbeths’ coronation far too garish and I also wonder why the production has the Macbeths in their beds throughout the first scene of Act 4 (refugees lament the suffering of their oppressed homeland and people). Again unnecessary and whilst Lady Macbeth then has her mad scene, Macbeth leaves the stage having spent a scene and a bit with virtually nothing to do. But there’s also a great deal to admire in the production and I rather liked having the witches propelling the action forward throughout, including moving the props etc (although I felt a little sorry for one witch having to hide behind a bed for the full scene before springing into action). I think a few people were caught out by the 3 minute pause between Acts 1 and 2 and very pleased to see that a couple of principal dancers were in the audience.

• Like 4

• alison changed the title to Royal Opera: Macbeth

Just spent much of this evening listening to the recording on BBC Radio 3 while working - and was hugely impressed, even given my not-very-great knowledge of opera.  Well worth trying to catch it on the dreaded BBC Sounds, I guess.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...